UFC roster too big

When events only have 1-2 fights you care about, instead of 2-4.

Are you still going to pay the same to get less?
Are you still going to plan your night around it?
Are you still going to find people to watch it with?

The interest in specific fights on a card is purely subjective. That's difficult to measure. I try to keep an open mind, maybe there's an unheralded fighter that will make a fan out of me.

If you want to see the 2-4 fights you're excited to watch, then you've be effectively halving the number of events. This means we wait twice as long between fight cards and card on Fuel and FX dry up.

The solution would be larger undercards and more free prelims. Shows would benefit from having a faster pace with less commentary in between fights. Get 'em in and get 'em out!

"LET ME BANG BRO!!"

"I DO let you bang."

"Let me bang again!"

LOL damnit! Reading this sequence in text format always gets me. Just laugh and laugh:icon_chee

And i'm not sure about the trimming the fat talk. If we did that from a win/lose perspective, the way it SHOULD be done wouldn't that mean guys like dan hardy and gomi would be in jeopardy? I like those guys :/

Yeah I don't like the massive roster. They got to stop giving these reality show kids spots and shoving them down our throats. It is just supposed to be the winner.

Also now that they have a womens division and the baby weights it's going to be oversaturation worse than it already is. Quality not quantity ufc....

Did you not watch Invicta last night? WMMA is kickass.

Yes ufc fucked up for thinking that if they buy out all the other orgs they will be dominate. the thing is, they already were. And its good to have competition, it boost your shit. Now they have like 5 cards differ channels. but no one cares cuz most of time it ends up being same fighters fighting each other....UFC needs to stop being *********s and hogging all the fighters. let them fight outside. who gives a fuck? Not low tier guys get paid enough to ONLY stay in UFC to ONLY fight twice a year if lucky......

Dana doesnt think so. More smaller weight class fights = more fans according to him.

Hey everybody, While I'm a relatively new poster but I've been around these forums for some time.

My thought or potential problem I want to bring up to you is if the UFC roster is getting so big, so fast, wouldn't this mean that all fighters could only be fighter once a year?

It makes sense that it would, I mean you have the Women's division coming in, there not cutting guys like they used to, adding of Flyweight, and Strikeforce is moving in to.

I think fighting once a year, even if it's for the same money is bullshit and it feels like this problem isn't being addressed at all.

Thoughts?:cool:

lurker since '93?

Actually the problem is the roster isn't big enough, that's why they added the lower divisions and wmma. Fox is demanding more events than the UFC can handle between Fox events, Fx, Fuel + new sport network coming in 2013. Why do you think fighters aren;t being cut as quickly as they used to?

Last edited:
Bigger roster = More fights

also more replacements for injured fighters.

Nobody is getting cut. Between injuries and more shows in other big countries coming up the next few years they need all the good fighters they can get. Then we'll still wind up with these uninteresting main events and cards where Dana hopes that the fights are at least deliver. That's why they will keep guys around. Sure some guys will get cut but even Todd Duffee got re-employed so that should tell us that their going into a new direction from just a year ago when they were cutting guys constantly for losing or whatever bullshit. Watch out, Phil Baroni might be getting a main card fight in the future if he can put together another win or two. Or even Tim Sylvia despite embarrassing the "sport."

Back