UFC roster too big

KurtGrizzly

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everybody, While I'm a relatively new poster but I've been around these forums for some time.

My thought or potential problem I want to bring up to you is if the UFC roster is getting so big, so fast, wouldn't this mean that all fighters could only be fighter once a year?

It makes sense that it would, I mean you have the Women's division coming in, there not cutting guys like they used to, adding of Flyweight, and Strikeforce is moving in to.

I think fighting once a year, even if it's for the same money is bullshit and it feels like this problem isn't being addressed at all.

Thoughts?:cool:

Yes fighting once a year is lame. But no, thats not going to happen, aside from injuries of course.

theyll whittle the roster down as the strikeforce guys come over, cutting people after 1 or 2 losses, unless they put on exciting fights.

plus it means they might do more double show nights in different parts of the world, there are more asian fighters than ever and european fighters are getting better all the time, theyll open up more markets with the bigger roster and keep the monthly "numbered" cards for the bigger fights, and throw the smaller shows the odd interim/title fight to showcase a division from time to time.

i personally find it exciting.

No. They're increasing the size in order to have more events per year.
Since they've set themselves on destroying all other competition, they need to carry the sport alone and therefore need to build up new fighters on undercards more often.
A bigger roster supports this. It won't lead to less fights per year.

Yeah I don't like the massive roster. They got to stop giving these reality show kids spots and shoving them down our throats. It is just supposed to be the winner.

Also now that they have a womens division and the baby weights it's going to be oversaturation worse than it already is. Quality not quantity ufc....

they are increasing the number of events this year so they are expanding their roster. Expect to see a lot of asian fighters signed in 2013, they are really looking to make a big push into asia

just need friday night fights every friday. like back in the old days with boxing.

they have more events so the fighters can stay active. however, this doesn't mean that the events are quality

I'm not sure the statement about them not cutting guys like they used to is correct. Plenty of guys get cut after two fights like before, or even one fight in some cases. Just because a few mainstays stick around doesn't mean that the entire roster is treated the same way.

The roster size might be too big to accommodate for fighters being able to fight frequently. But they need a decent sized roster if they are adding more divisions and they do enough shows (and will likely cut enough people soon) to handle it to some extent.

they are increasing the number of events this year so they are expanding their roster. Expect to see a lot of asian fighters signed in 2013, they are really looking to make a big push into asia

As long as they're free on FX and Fuel, that would be fucking fantastic - even if they're at odd hours

Yeah I don't like the massive roster. They got to stop giving these reality show kids spots and shoving them down our throats. It is just supposed to be the winner.

Also now that they have a womens division and the baby weights it's going to be oversaturation worse than it already is. Quality not quantity ufc....

awwww poor baby..

jesus you people will bitch about anything

OP has a point, too many shitty fights now, minimum 3 fights per year or your out. make it happen DFW.

The roster may be bigger now than ever, but in most divisions, there is still a situation where there are only three viable contenders for the belt. At HW, it's JDS-Cain-Overeem, mayber Cormier and Werdum, and then everyone else. At WW, it's GSP-Diaz-Hendricks, then maybe Condit-RoryMac, and then everyone else.

If you only keep the Top 10 or Top 15 guys in each division, they'll end up fighting and rematching each other, proving nothing, knocking each other out of contender spots, and not developing as athletes.

A division has to be deep enough such that young prospects can be gradually developed (as was done with JBJ and JDS), that old veterans can still have intriguing match-ups (Wandy/Franklin/Hendo, etc), and that if a champion is out, an informal tourney of sorts can take place (as was the case with WW last year) without just squash match mismatches and rematches.

Or they could have more stacked cards..

The roster is too big and they know it. If you're a LW or WW in the UFC on the lower end of the ladder then you're probably in danger of being cut as soon as you add up a couple of losses.

As long as they're free on FX and Fuel, that would be fucking fantastic - even if they're at odd hours

they most likely will be. the first China and Sweden cards were on fuel so I would assume that these cards will be. expect to see events in India and Indonesia

I think the UFC will trim the roster as more Strikeforce guys come in. But it won't be any of the big name guys under contract.

Back