UFC roster too big

I actually thought they would be at a consistent 13 fights per card by now. They still hover around the 12 range. They have enough guys. Some guys especially the younger lower tier guys will fight plenty of times a year(4-5) They should put 14-15 fights on the cards, adding more of the entry, cheaper guys. Gives chances for any and all guys to be more active with more spots for fights all year round. But I'm sure of course they stick to a budget, maximized their profits, have break even points figured out ,etc so that's why it's at 12.

trim the fat. half the TUF fighters dont deserve a roster spot

The bigger the better. Your logic is off. Bigger roster means more events, not lesser fights per fighter.

if the ufc could put on fights every weekend i'd be happy. now many would complain about too many cards but some of these would obviously be more for building up names of some fighters. one or two known name fights and a bunch of others kinda like a TUF finale and have these on fuel and online. then keep some of the bigger names for fx, more for PPV or the Fox card that month.

No. They're increasing the size in order to have more events per year.
Since they've set themselves on destroying all other competition, they need to carry the sport alone and therefore need to build up new fighters on undercards more often.
A bigger roster supports this. It won't lead to less fights per year.

They have too many events as is. I've been saying the UFC's roster is bloated for years, even before the SF/women's fighters came in. You figure, if the UFC has the top 20 fighters in every weight class, that would be 160 fighters on the roster (180 if they can find 20 female fighters, which is highly doubtful). That would be sufficient, with maybe an additional 5 to 10 prospects per division, rounding it out at about 270 fighters AT THE VERY MOST. Currently the UFC has over 70 WWs and 70 LWs under contract with them! They have over 50 featherweights and 40 MWs and Bantamweights. I feel like the less fighters there are on the roster, the more opportunities those guys will get to shine and to be promoted properly.

With the amount of injuries we see they can't really afford to cut it down. It's a shame because fighters who can sell a PPV on name power are very much in the minority.

The roster may be bigger now than ever, but in most divisions, there is still a situation where there are only three viable contenders for the belt. At HW, it's JDS-Cain-Overeem, mayber Cormier and Werdum, and then everyone else. At WW, it's GSP-Diaz-Hendricks, then maybe Condit-RoryMac, and then everyone else.

If you only keep the Top 10 or Top 15 guys in each division, they'll end up fighting and rematching each other, proving nothing, knocking each other out of contender spots, and not developing as athletes.

A division has to be deep enough such that young prospects can be gradually developed (as was done with JBJ and JDS), that old veterans can still have intriguing match-ups (Wandy/Franklin/Hendo, etc), and that if a champion is out, an informal tourney of sorts can take place (as was the case with WW last year) without just squash match mismatches and rematches.

Top 10 to 15 is too small, but top 20 plus another 5-10 prospects per division is plenty.

They're doing more and more events each year so they need a huge roster. also having guys ready to replace injured fighters has become very necessary lately.

I'd love to see more free events with lower tier fighters.

How can more MMA be a bad thing? It's not like the UFC is pulling guys off the street to fight.

Hey everybody, While I'm a relatively new poster but I've been around these forums for some time.

My thought or potential problem I want to bring up to you is if the UFC roster is getting so big, so fast, wouldn't this mean that all fighters could only be fighter once a year?

It makes sense that it would, I mean you have the Women's division coming in, there not cutting guys like they used to, adding of Flyweight, and Strikeforce is moving in to.

I think fighting once a year, even if it's for the same money is bullshit and it feels like this problem isn't being addressed at all.

Thoughts?:cool:

Roster is getting bigger, but there are more events, too. Which wins?

Frequency of fights is dropping, so clearly the rosters are still too big.

If the UFC cut people after 3 losses in a row then Guilliard is gone. You can't have a numerical rule like that when there are other things at work, like no matter who subs or beats up Gulliard, you wouldn't want him showing up at Bellator because he's an exciting fighter and worth keeping around. Glad they kept Garcia, because he gave Holloway a good fight.

How can more MMA be a bad thing?

When events only have 1-2 fights you care about, instead of 2-4.

Are you still going to pay the same to get less?
Are you still going to plan your night around it?
Are you still going to find people to watch it with?

How can more MMA be a bad thing? It's not like the UFC is pulling guys off the street to fight.

Oversaturation and dilution of the product are things that definitely could affect the UFC in a negative way and needs to be taken seriously.

has the UFC come out and said it will be 6 FX, 6 Fuel, 4 Fox and 2 TUF Finales like it was last year?

because i remember hearing they wanted to do some sort of mini series of smaller events in Japan.

has the UFC come out and said it will be 6 FX, 6 Fuel, 4 Fox and 2 TUF Finales like it was last year?

because i remember hearing they wanted to do some sort of mini series of smaller events in Japan.

i have been waiting to hear about those Japan shows, they sound interesting

if the ufc could put on fights every weekend i'd be happy. now many would complain about too many cards but some of these would obviously be more for building up names of some fighters. one or two known name fights and a bunch of others kinda like a TUF finale and have these on fuel and online. then keep some of the bigger names for fx, more for PPV or the Fox card that month.

This is what I would like as well. A UFC every Friday say on FX or Fuel would work. Maybe this is what they're aiming for in the long run, this is why they're building their roster and not cutting guys after 2 straight losses like they used to (see my latest thread, where I talked about that).

Back