Ufc fix your gloves now

KeyboardFighter

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Pride already had the eye poke thing figured out:

S6MAAxqaTeS7TS_4bdtmnbzQTuFViTs2eEGF6IMce_k.jpg

fig. Pride glove vs Ufc glove in their neutral positions.

The Pride gloves neutral position forces the hand to naturally curve down, greatly reducing eye pokes when a fighter postures up with their hands reaching out.
The Ufc gloves neutral position naturally stretches the fighters hand out, greatly increasing eye pokes. I have even heard that it is stretching out your hands so much that you need to force it to even curve your hand.

Personaly feel it is bordeline negligent of the UFC to continue with these types of gloves, and their decision to keep these gloves are uncessary endangering their fighters.

And btw I am not saying that a Pride style glove would completely prevent eye pokes.

And newer more advanced versions have already been offered up by multiple people, so really hard to understand why UFC havent bought one of those designs yet.

Just as weird as them refusing to make a real custom made ruleset for MMA instead of just piggybacking off the established boxing rules.

I don't see it happening any time soon, it would be easier to fix the rules.

And newer more advanced versions have already been offered up by multiple people, so really hard to understand why UFC havent bought one of those designs yet.

Just as weird as them refusing to make a real custom made ruleset for MMA instead of just piggybacking off the established boxing rules.
From what I have gathered is that they don't want to pay royalties for the glove design and want to have control over the production of the gloves, IE it is as always money related.

From what I have gathered is that they don't want to pay royalties for the glove design and want to have control over the production of the gloves, IE it is as always money related.

Yeah, but it is just the kind of stuff that make people look at it as "Not a real sport" and whatever, because of the weird priorities they make, that we wouldnt see some of the other biggest sporting franchises neglect.

UFC likes having them that way so when their prized fighters are in trouble they can eye poke their opponents to save themselves from losing the fight,

Agreed, I'm sure there must be political reasons behind both of those clear issues.

I don't see it happening any time soon, it would be easier to fix the rules.
If they where forced to by some regulating body to change their gloves, the UFC would change the gloves very fast I promise that.

The bigger problem in my opinion is fighters fighting with a style where they stick their hand out fingers outstretched directly towards their opponents eyes constantly, and referees not being strict enough about penalising them for doing so. This is not a problem with all fighters, it's a problem with certain fighters who use that technique which invites an eyepoke on your opponent when they are coming in. Usually done especially by lanky fighters with long reach.

The bigger problem in my opinion is fighters fighting with a style where they stick their hand out fingers outstretched directly towards their opponents eyes constantly, and referees not being strict enough about penalising them for doing so. This is not a problem with all fighters, it's a problem with certain fighters who use that technique which invites an eyepoke on your opponent when they are coming in. Usually done especially by lanky fighters with long reach.
Yeah ofc those type of fighters are the biggest offenders, but with the Pride style gloves it would be harder for them to extend their fingers and eye poke an opponent.
It would also be easier for the referee to enforce the rules as it would be more blatant when a fighter would be extending their fingers.

It would need to be something better than the pride gloves. Pride gloves had the problem of their fingers always slipping out of the finger holes, and the refs constantly having to put them back over the finger for them again with stops in the action. Trevor Whittmans gloves is likely the best answer atm, but unfortunately not going to happen because the UFC wants to buy the rights outright from him to the glove design. And Trevor wants to keep it as his own. So as it stands, going nowhere on that front.

The UFC has no say in the rules. So that part of your post belongs in the wasteland.

As for the gloves.. Yes, I’m quite sure this is the thread that will finally break the camel’s back, and make them get new gloves. Good luck.

The UFC has no say in the rules. So that part of your post belongs in the wasteland.

As for the gloves.. Yes, I’m quite sure this is the thread that will finally break the camel’s back, and make them get new gloves. Good luck.
I am actually on a phone call with Dana White right now. He is watching this thread as we speak and told me he will change the gloves immediatley.

Btw here is O'malley talking about the gloves:

Back