UFC attempting to trademark “BMF” and Baddest Motherf***er

GueseGuy

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
1161656489.jpg.0.jpg

“On September 11th ZUFFA LLC, owners of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, filed paperwork in an attempt to trademark the terms ‘BMF’ and ‘Baddest Motherfucker’. The term has become common parlance in MMA thanks to mostly Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal.

ZUFFA filed for a variety of trademarks connected to these terms.

Based on these applications it appears that ZUFFA is interested in creating and selling merchandise emblazoned with the letters ‘BMF’ or the words ‘Baddest Motherfucker’.

The applications cover a wide range of potential uses, including footwear, Christmas tree decorations and action figures. Interestingly the trademark applications do hint at intentions to make belts marked with those terms.

UFC President Dana White is on record stating he would like to create a special ‘BMF’ title belt for the proposed match-up between welterweights Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal at November 2nd’s UFC 244. These trademark applications show that White may be following through on his intentions.

Use of the term ‘BMF’ grew in popularity within MMA culture thanks to the recent performances of Masvidal and Diaz.

Diaz began laying claim to the ‘BMF’ title after his beating of Anthony Pettis at UFC 241 last month. In the post-fight press conference Diaz stated:

“No one’s showing any acknowledgement for being the best fighter in the world. Which I am, just like Masvidal. I’m the best martial artist. We’re not just some ‘hold on to me wrestlers,’ who will hold you and hopefully win a round, finding a loophole to winning these fights and put a belt on their waist. Now we’re fighting for the baddest motherf—ker in the game belt. And that’s mine! So I’d like to defend that against Jorge Masvidal, so if he wants to be the baddest motherf—ker, that’s how we gonna do it.”

Masvidal was on Diaz’s mind that night thanks to his headline-grabbing highlight finish over Ben Askren at UFC 239 in July.

Now it appears as though ‘BMF’ is on the precipice of crossing over into the mainstream with the term potentially about to land on official UFC merch. If the UFC is successful with its applications they will not only be able to monetize the terms, but they will also be able to prevent anyone else from doing the same — including those who popularized the term; including fighters (most notably), media, and fans.

Though, it should be noted that getting a trademark doesn’t mean the term will bring in lots of cash. For examples of a ZUFFA owned trademark that never got traction, look no further than the infamous CHICKEN MONSTER (logo seen here).”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/...te-diaz-jorge-masvidal-ufc-244-legal-mma-news

This is idiocracy level shit.
Seriously what the fuck is our species doing?
I mean I shouldn't be surprised that a promoter/profession built around exploiting guys who fight each other would come up with this, but still...come on guys.

Last edited:
This is getting cringe as fuck lol. Baddest motherfuckers is the champions who beats everyone else. Not two low level wannabe gangsters. I like Nate and Jorge but this is ridicilous

They agreed to the stupid belt thing. So from a business perspective protecting themselves against a guy like Nate who would disappear with that shit and use it as further leverage and who knows what 3-piece would do with it. Whatever. It's so stupid it's for an actual belt that's the only problem. They made the mistake now they're trying to cover their asses and profit at the same time.

I thought the UFC strap was the BMF belt. This is a circus.

It could be to say even if they cant someone else cant claim it after they publicize the shit out of it even though thats a common used phrase

yea, the baddest mother fuckers in the world are two guys that have never sniffed a title.

<YeahOKJen>

Aren't they both basically .500 in their primes? Real badass.

Fuckin cringy sleazebags

Fuckin no shame no shame at all

Not even their idea

Fuckin parasites

Cause adults are gonna buy a shirt that says Baddest Motherfucker on it.

UFC makes the absolute worst merchandising decisions.

make it 24/7 like the WWE Hardcore Title. Let's see who the real BMF is.

this seems like a good idea and looks like its being received well so far

This is getting cringe as fuck lol. Baddest motherfuckers is the champions who beats everyone else. Not two low level wannabe gangsters. I like Nate and Jorge but this is ridicilous
Yeah I hate highly entertaining fighters being allowed and encouraged to fight.

I don't think there's anything wanna be about Diaz either, or Jorge, many act like these 2 but I think they're about as gangster as it gets in attitude at least.

You would think with so called sophisticated Hollywood owners that this company would drop the meathead crap

It sounds like the same tactic that Lebron used to trade mark taco Tuesday, he was shot down because it was a common used term. With it being shot down it verified that he couldn’t get sued for using it on merchandise/marketing for his products

Tarantino and Samuel L Jackson would be able to destroy that trademark in court.

how are they going to succeed when other companies got there first?

this is sad as fuck ... seriously https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=bmf

BMF
Entertainment services, namely, live stage shows and performances featuring sports and mixed martial arts; entertainment…
Owned by: Zuffa, LLC
Serial Number: 88613032

BMF
Championship belts; championship trophy belts
Serial Number: 88612833

BMF
Jewelry; key chains
Serial Number: 88612770

BMF
Toy championship belts; toy mixed martial arts belts; toy figures and accessories therefor; action figures and accessories…

Last edited:
Cause adults are gonna buy a shirt that says Baddest Motherfucker on it.

UFC makes the absolute worst merchandising decisions.
true ... or is it? Brady has got NFL fans wearing em

DyqD50cX0AAh8P-.jpg

Back