UFC 225 - Whittaker vs Romero 2 - Chicago

giphy.gif
UFC has no reason to get Jackson a win here. People seem to forget that Jackson looked equivalently terrible against Gall, and I'll be surprised if this doesn't close closer to evens when the public starts funneling money. Gall's gonna win by RNC in round 1 in a fight that looks a little iffy, IMO.

UFC has no reason to get Jackson a win here. People seem to forget that Jackson looked equivalently terrible against Gall, and I'll be surprised if this doesn't close closer to evens when the public starts funneling money. Gall's gonna win by RNC in round 1 in a fight that looks a little iffy, IMO.

I think it's the fact you said you are gonna go big on Punk. Yeah a small play at dog odds, whatever. But how can you possibly play him big against ANYONE after seeing him show ZERO signs he's learned anything at all in the 2 years or whatever he's been training? Sure, Jackson may have no skills either, but who knows? I can't imagine betting either guy for more than peanuts here.

other than the maia fight where he ate a lot of shots early, has covington ever really slowed down? what makes you think he can't suffocate and bash for 25 mins?

I've already said my piece on the fight, but exactly this. Covington threw an insane amount of standing strikes in that fight, which is outside of his comfort zone. We've never seen him slow down in his other fights, which have all been grappling heavy.

RDA's inability to finish+Colby's sick wrestling and size+amazing instagram skills = easy bet on chaos at +odds?

Romero @2.75 is sick. He lost the first only because he gassed and i think he knows this very well. If he can only measure his pace better he can absolutely win this fight.

Romero @2.75 is sick. He lost the first only because he gassed and i think he knows this very well. If he can only measure his pace better he can absolutely win this fight.

gonna be VERY hard for him to improve his cardio 1 year later and now 41 years old. might just be me but I thought he was very conscious of gassing in the rockhold fight and his explosions seemed more sparse than normal, could be a sign of his age. only red flag on whittaker is how he handles his knee surgery. but other than that we have no reason to assume that whittaker hasn't improved since then, or at least improved more than romero.

we have no reason to assume that whittaker hasn't improved since then, or at least improved more than romero.
so we're just gonna ignore the fact that not only did he have to recover from an MCL injury, but he had a terrible case of staph that put him on the shelf for a very long time?

so we're just gonna ignore the fact that not only did he have to recover from an MCL injury, but he had a terrible case of staph that put him on the shelf for a very long time?

Well his leg was clearly f'd the 2nd half of their first fight to be fair. Didn't stop him from clearly outstriking Yoel and stuffing any TD attempts.

Maybe Yoel paces himself better this time. Or maybe he gets the early stoppage. If not...he's probably gonna get the worst of it after rd 2 again.

Well his leg was clearly f'd the 2nd half of their first fight to be fair. Didn't stop him from clearly outstriking Yoel and stuffing any TD attempts.

Maybe Yoel paces himself better this time. Or maybe he gets the early stoppage. If not...he's probably gonna get the worst of it after rd 2 again.
Haven't re-watched the fight but didn't he hurt his knee in round 1? I don't think Romero should be edging towards +200 but I do think Bobby Knuckles wins a someone wide decision (whether judges agree, who the F knows)

no, but apparently your ignoring the fact that i didn't ignore his knee injury at all in my post lol, you just didn't quote that bit. as for staph if he's fully recovered now it shouldn't be much of an issue if he was already out a long time with the knee injury. if anything it could be good that he didn't come back too soon. look at how many times we've seen fighters wreck their knees again after coming back too soon before it's fully healed. and regardless like many have said I don't see why we can't assume whittaker could very well do much better this time if he has both legs to fight with for the full 5 rounds if he needs that long.
whittaker should make yoel work harder than rockhold did and I just think it very unlikely that yoel plays that perfect line between pacing himself at his age and keeping whittaker to commit to a slow paced fight, while outpointing him. ofc there's a KO chance but on paper his pacing should be harder to implement how he wants than last time.

Haven't re-watched the fight but didn't he hurt his knee in round 1? I don't think Romero should be edging towards +200 but I do think Bobby Knuckles wins a someone wide decision (whether judges agree, who the F knows)

I thought rd 2 but def don't quote me on that. I need to rewatch too.

I thought rd 2 but def don't quote me on that. I need to rewatch too.

It was round 1. Romero landed two kicks to the knee area, one about a minute in and another about two minutes in. I'm not sure which did it.

I like the new fight much better. Could turn into a somewhat uneventful stand up affair, but I'm intrigued how their styles are going to play out.

I'm a little disappointed in Green not being able to fight. Line wasn't released yet but I was hoping the line would be a pickem fight or Guida a slight fav. I was betting Guida for sure if it was around there.

no, but apparently your ignoring the fact that i didn't ignore his knee injury at all in my post lol, you just didn't quote that bit. as for staph if he's fully recovered now it shouldn't be much of an issue if he was already out a long time with the knee injury. if anything it could be good that he didn't come back too soon. look at how many times we've seen fighters wreck their knees again after coming back too soon before it's fully healed. and regardless like many have said I don't see why we can't assume whittaker could very well do much better this time if he has both legs to fight with for the full 5 rounds if he needs that long.
whittaker should make yoel work harder than rockhold did and I just think it very unlikely that yoel plays that perfect line between pacing himself at his age and keeping whittaker to commit to a slow paced fight, while outpointing him. ofc there's a KO chance but on paper his pacing should be harder to implement how he wants than last time.
Im not following. They fought in July of last year and reports were that his MCL injury were going to keep him on the shelf until 2018. Then he has the whole issue with staph around late January that had him hospitalized and in critical condition. Now with all that in mind, you expect him to be more improved than Romero since their first fight?

Looking at the card it’s amazing except why in hell is cm
Punk vs king of pop On the main card and benavidez vs pettis on fight pass. Also nobody cares about arlovski and he shouldn’t be on the main card either.

Im not following. They fought in July of last year and reports were that his MCL injury were going to keep him on the shelf until 2018. Then he has the whole issue with staph around late January that had him hospitalized and in critical condition. Now with all that in mind, you expect him to be more improved than Romero since their first fight?

short answer is yes I think this is very possible. romero at his age is very likely to of plateau'd skill wise. whittaker is still only 27. but this is not the point I was talking about. romero's cardio is extremely unlikely to of improved since last fight. now that's not to say that whittaker could still be effected by his injury or ring rust, but I don't see how romero can improve much on his last performance skill wise or cardio wise. his gameplan is a different story however but I'm saying it relies heavily on his cardio which is likely to of declined a little.

short answer is yes I think this is very possible. romero at his age is very likely to of plateau'd skill wise. whittaker is still only 27. but this is not the point I was talking about. romero's cardio is extremely unlikely to of improved since last fight. now that's not to say that whittaker could still be effected by his injury or ring rust, but I don't see how romero can improve much on his last performance skill wise or cardio wise. his gameplan is a different story however but I'm saying it relies heavily on his cardio which is likely to of declined a little.
I have a hard time seeing Whittaker making improvements to his game since the first fight. I dug a little deeper and apparently he suffered a hamstring injury when he started training again after the MCL had healed, right before he started dealing with the infection and chicken pox. They had to adjust his training to compensate for that. Then obv the staph had him in critical condition in 2018. He's having sporadic bouts of training and dealing with sickness/injury. I cant see major improvements being made in a situation like that when its going to take him weeks to build up to what he had before going on the shelf

Back