UFC 225 - Whittaker vs Romero 2 - Chicago

Khabib's probably another level of wrestler over Colby. I don't think that Colby's terrible on his feet or anything, but top control is prettymuch the only position I see him beating RDA in. RDA's a bit undersized here, but we just saw him maintain a crazy pace against Lawler for 25 mins and I don't think anybody can realistically say that Colby's a better striker or BJJ-er than RDA. I think it's going to be an issue where Colby tries to push pace on a guy that's got equivalent (Deeper from what we've seen, but it's not like Colby's gassed out in the past) cardio, better striking, better BJJ and one of the best histories of improvement and adaptation in the sport.

Saffedine was RDA's first fight in a new weight class. I think the Lawler fight showcased that he could stay fit at WW for 25 mins whilst setting an insane pace.

I don't think Colby's terrible by any means, I just think that trying to outpace RDA's something that's only worked for Tony Ferguson in Mexico City and I'd rather not rely on it. I think RDA's going to be the one doing more damage in this fight, even if Colby might end up with a control edge.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your points, but I'm not sure how much the advantages that RDA may have are going to help if he can't stop Covington from taking him down or grinding him against the fence. I don't think RDA has the type of stopping power that's going to keep Covington off of him.

Guys who have used a similar gameplan to what I expect to see from Covington here have had success. Khabib as already mentioned, and Dunham as well, which was a robbery for RDA. Now up a weight class, this seems to me like one of the worst stylistic matchups for RDA in the division.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of your points, but I'm not sure how much the advantages that RDA may have are going to help if he can't stop Covington from taking him down or grinding him against the fence. I don't think RDA has the type of stopping power that's going to keep Covington off of him.

Guys who have used a similar gameplan to what I expect to see from Covington here have had success. Khabib as already mentioned, and Dunham as well, which was a robbery for RDA. Now up a weight class, this seems to me like one of the worst stylistic matchups for RDA in the division.
I just think it's hard to compare Khabib with Covington in terms of wrestling stylings. Maia legitimately outstriking Covington in the first is still stuck in my mind, and it's not like RDA doesn't have decent power behind his shots. Covington might have to telegraph shots from the outside if he can't hang in the striking with RDA, since I don't think just trying to put pace on RDA's a sensible approach for Covington.

Tbh I think that it's going to be a dominant performance either way. Either Colby consistently gets the TD and cruises to a wide decision, or RDA stops the TD and stops Colby by TKO/Sub in the third or so.

t6p is saying it better than I can, I agree that Colby has only one path to victory, but the 3 rounds of top control-path is almost an MMA cheat-code. Superior striking doesn't matter if RDA is on his back. BJJ doesn't matter if he doesn't have the space to work. Colby bodied Stun Gun (who has excellent TDD and a big size advantage) without breaking a sweat. Elite wrestling vs elite TDD is the UFC's current metagame and RDA is too well-rounded to stop somebody who will be totally shameless about wrestlefucking him for 15 minutes.

I just think it's hard to compare Khabib with Covington in terms of wrestling stylings. Maia legitimately outstriking Covington in the first is still stuck in my mind, and it's not like RDA doesn't have decent power behind his shots. Covington might have to telegraph shots from the outside if he can't hang in the striking with RDA, since I don't think just trying to put pace on RDA's a sensible approach for Covington.

Tbh I think that it's going to be a dominant performance either way. Either Colby consistently gets the TD and cruises to a wide decision, or RDA stops the TD and stops Colby by TKO/Sub in the third or so.

Khabib and Covington are for sure different stylistically, but I'm not sure that Covington is any less effective, especially considering the difference in weight class here.

IMO the common belief that Maia outstruck Covington in the first round was more people being surprised at Maia willingly trading on the feet than what actually happened. Maia landed a few decent shots in the first minute and cut him, but after that Covington was getting the better of most exchanges and he also landed a ton of leg kicks. He won the round on 2 of the 3 judges scorecards. Either way, I don't see that fight as particularly relevant to this RDA fight. The gameplan there was to keep it standing, which is the complete opposite of what he'll be looking to do here.

Also, you and @OutRun have mentioned 3 rounds. I'm not sure if you guys are referring to Covington needing to win 3 rounds to win a decision, but this is a 5 round fight for the interim title.

Khabib and Covington are for sure different stylistically, but I'm not sure that Covington is any less effective, especially considering the difference in weight class here.

IMO the common belief that Maia outstruck Covington in the first round was more people being surprised at Maia willingly trading on the feet than what actually happened. Maia landed a few decent shots in the first minute and cut him, but after that Covington was getting the better of most exchanges and he also landed a ton of leg kicks. He won the round on 2 of the 3 judges scorecards. Either way, I don't see that fight as particularly relevant to this RDA fight. The gameplan there was to keep it standing, which is the complete opposite of what he'll be looking to do here.

Also, you and @OutRun have mentioned 3 rounds. I'm not sure if you guys are referring to Covington needing to win 3 rounds to win a decision, but this is a 5 round fight for the interim title.

Khabib seems to be the best pressure wrestler in the sport's history. I don't mind Covington, but I think it's fair to not automatically assume he's as good as Khabib at Khabib's thing.

Just referring to the 3 rounds necessary for a decision, yeah. Maia literally stumbled Covington, it was embarrassing as hell for the guy. CC lost the first round on like 80% of media scorecards, relying on the in-cage judges is silly. Maia landed the biggest shots of the round, but definitely gassed out under Colby's volume.

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/8524/Colby-Covington-vs-Demian-Maia

Khabib seems to be the best pressure wrestler in the sport's history. I don't mind Covington, but I think it's fair to not automatically assume he's as good as Khabib at Khabib's thing.

Just referring to the 3 rounds necessary for a decision, yeah. Maia literally stumbled Covington, it was embarrassing as hell for the guy. CC lost the first round on like 80% of media scorecards, relying on the in-cage judges is silly. Maia landed the biggest shots of the round, but definitely gassed out under Colby's volume.

Colby thought against type and was obviously focusing on stopping Maias takedown in the first and strike with him, and got caught by suprise by Maia coming out swinging like a mad man. He will not fight RDA like that at all, so his performance in the first round dosen't really mean anything

I actually totally missed that it was for the interim title, jesus fuck. Thanks for reminding me lmao

That is fair. But by the same taken, I can't assume that RDA is capable of stopping Covington's wrestling attack when he's never shown the ability to do it a weight class down and Covington has already proven he can implement his will against bigger opponents than RDA who are better defensive grapplers.

But, I think we're getting off the rails with the Maia talk. I agree with @raketmannen that it's all but irrelevant to the matchup with RDA. Covington was never in any danger in that first round and I scored it for him. It was very close though and I could see an argument for Maia edging it. Me bringing up the judges scorecards was more to point out that Maia outstriking him is subjective and I don't agree.

I think CC could find himself tired in the second half of the fight

I'm hoping Whitt gets to -160 or lower

rda could be a +4 or 500 by the start of the 3rd round if he cant stop covingtons tds.
Totally. If CC is forced in the last 2 rounds to trade with RDA I think he gets smashed even if RDA is also tired. CC is VERY wild and sloppy on the feet

So Megan pulled out of the Cyborg fight and has remained out of competition for nearly a year since due to "the biggest personal struggle she's ever faced". She was on the MMA hour recently and vaguely referenced it but wouldn't share any details. Anyone have any idea what it's about?

So Megan pulled out of the Cyborg fight and has remained out of competition for nearly a year since due to "the biggest personal struggle she's ever faced". She was on the MMA hour recently and vaguely referenced it but wouldn't share any details. Anyone have any idea what it's about?
sore vagina. holm is easy money

Going fairly big on CM Punk at dog odds.

Going fairly big on CM Punk at dog odds.

giphy.gif

other than the maia fight where he ate a lot of shots early, has covington ever really slowed down? what makes you think he can't suffocate and bash for 25 mins?

Back