UFC 220 PPV buys are out

UFC might as well stop forcing people to pay for cards. After all, they don't even need PPV money to make record profits.

They just raise the price five dollars. How about the fact that if you are a fight pass subscriber you get no discount? Total bullshit.

If you guys don’t care, why even click and comment on the thread?

I came in to say the same thing Willek said...to ask a question...why do people care so much? MuddyFinger's reply was harsh...some people can simply reply to the question with an answer, not a question.

I buy PPV's because I love watching MMA.

I think we’re seeimg a significant decline in numbers in championship fights from a few years ago though, aren’t we? I feel this could have been 500-550k 40-50 ppvs ago

350k is a profitable card there is no doubt but a card with both the LHW and HW title on it should do better in all honesty. I was expecting 500k+ to be honest. 350k is decent but disappointing.

I think we’re seeimg a significant decline in numbers in championship fights from a few years ago though, aren’t we? I feel this could have been 500-550k 40-50 ppvs ago

Probably. It might have even reached that if Rory vs Lima & Rampage vs Chael wasn't happening for free that night. I consider myself a big fan and had interest in the fights but I skippedbthe UFC ppv because Bellator ran late and entertained me enough to not buy, go to the bar, or find elsewhere.

And this is why Conor can do whatever he wants.
Not that I completely agree with it, but yea...

I hesitate to say whether those numbers are good or bad, 350K seem like very good PPV numbers. Now I say I hesitate because I don't know the UFCs books and what turns a profit. Everyone compares current numbers to a PPV scale from 2008 to 2013 when 500K was a good show and that show today does 250K. However the UFC does have different sources of revenues, particularly tv deals, more international events and fightpass that generate $$$.

that's what happens when you mainly target trash talking fans instead of fight fans, and then put on a card with great fighters but little trash talk

I came in to say the same thing Willek said...to ask a question...why do people care so much? MuddyFinger's reply was harsh...some people can simply reply to the question with an answer, not a question.

I buy PPV's because I love watching MMA.
Get out of the thread if you have nothing to add to it

At $60 a buy, that’s still $21,000,000.

The UFC’s cut of it is $9,450,000.

The fighter’s total salaries are $2,549,000.

So the UFC’s profit is $6,901,000.

This does not include the costs of venue/operations. Also, it doesn’t include profits from tickets, sponsors, merchandise and food and beverages.

Holly vs Cyborg did 340-380 and was the third biggest event last year. So since none of these guys are draws Id say the event was success.

You simply cannot compare this to the biggest ppv buyrate giants since times are different. Only fair comparison is last year.

It was competing against a Bellator card that was actually compelling. Miocic vs Ngannou was hurriedly put together to boost UFC 220's counter-programming punch, giving promotion less time to spread the word. AND the price got hiked. Sure it was only by $5, but enough to sway some people on the fence about which to watch to say "fuck 'em, let's go with the free option" out of sheer principle.

Probably. It might have even reached that if Rory vs Lima & Rampage vs Chael wasn't happening for free that night. I consider myself a big fan and had interest in the fights but I skippedbthe UFC ppv because Bellator ran late and entertained me enough to not buy, go to the bar, or find elsewhere.
this is a really important point. I totally forgot about the counter programing.

At $60 a buy, that’s still $21,000,000.

The UFC’s cut of it is $9,450,000.

The fighter’s total salaries are $2,549,000.

So the UFC’s profit is $6,901,000.

This does not include the costs of venue/operations. Also, it doesn’t include profits from tickets, sponsors, merchandise and food and beverages.

It's probably safe to say that the profits for the tickets, sponsors, merch, etc are somewhere around the costs for the venue, operations, marketing, etc.

So the profit probably just falls around that 7 million number. Not great.

While they would have hoped for better that isn't crap. The casuals knew very little about Ngannou and Volkan. Stipe is a great HW and maybe GOAT in HW but he doesn't cut outstanding promos. There was other sports programming that night as I recall aside from Bellator like boxing, NBA. The fee increase had and an effect but likely will have more of an effect on 221 and similar cards with lesser names. Each PPV they have an idea of the profit margin they hope to hit. I expect this probably landed in the area.

Looks like the UFC trying to market Ngannou didn’t have much of an impact. At least, not as much as one might think.

It would have been maximized if he had won, especially in quick and devastating fashion. Can't expect someone to become a huge draw within only a couple months of promotion.

Back