Tyson FAILED as a figter!

The "greats" of tyson's era were Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. Holyfield and Lewis faced post-prison tyson.

The "greats" of tyson's era were Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. Holyfield and Lewis faced post-prison tyson.

larry holmes was 39 and coming off 2 losses when he fought tyson.....and spinks, while a good win, is a light heavyweight. he fought holyfield in his prime. and him coming out of prison might have hurt him, but holyfield had lost 2 of his last 4 fights and tyson had won 4 straight out of prison, none of which went past the 3rd round. holyfield was a massive underdog and he should get a lot of credit for winning a fight, which at the time, people said he couldnt win.

mike tyson had the tools to be one of the greats, but his lack of mental toughness will be the reason he wont be mentioned amongst them.

Tyson was a great, great fighter,, once he rose to the top of his proffession he just went down hill, the only weakness he had was probably the most important he lacked belief in himself, he was weak mentally,

1) He failed to beat the "greats" of his era in Holyfield and Lewis>>>>>>

he didnt get to face them until after prison. at that point all he really had was a punch and intimidation. he was never the same.

one can argue that lewis is a diff generation as he came on the scene in tysons absence

This is all I have to say about Kid f'n Dynamite...

He's the best ever.
He's the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been.
No one can stop him. Lennox is a conqueror? No! He's no Alexander! Mike's Alexander!
He's the best ever. He's Sonny Liston. He's Jack Dempsey. There's never been anyone like Mike.
He's from their cloth. There is no one who can match Mike.
His style is impetuous, his defense is impregnable, and he's just ferocious.
He wants your heart! He wants to eat your children! Praise be to Allah!

1) He failed to beat the "greats" of his era in Holyfield and Lewis>>>>>>

he didnt get to face them until after prison. at that point all he really had was a punch and intimidation. he was never the same.

one can argue that lewis is a diff generation as he came on the scene in tysons absence

Tyson was an amatuer at the same time as Lewis and Bowe. They are not different generations at all. Of the 4 greats on the nineties, there can be no doubt that Lewis is the greatest. He beat them all.

He possessed all the physical gifts that only few ppl. had, but he was mentally weak and that was his downfall.

I think so too, I have allways thought that if he were stronger mentally he could have been one of the top boxers of all time, although he did accomplish a lot he could have been so much more.

There's no doubt that Tyson could have possibly accomplished more than he did, but what he did do was pretty impressive. To call him a failure as a fighter when he accomplished way more than 99% of all fighters is just stupid, and if you were around when he was at the top of his game, you know what I'm talking about. He was probably in the top 3 most recognized athletes on the face of the earth, right up there with Michael Jordan. How many other fighters of our time have accomplished things like that? He transcended boxing, and made people who didnt even like boxing want to watch his fights. And yet now, here someone is claiming he is a failure? Please.

I can understand how someone can make the case if you look at the surface.

what I can't understand is someone thinking tyson after douglas was anywhere near his peak. when a man learns to lose then anything is possible, julio ceasar chavez quit many times later in his career, unthinkable if you watched him in the 80's.

Exactly.

Tysons style required crazy dedicated training camps and it appears Tyson just didn't want it anymore.

Can't blame him though because he was just a kid but its unfortunate and I bet Tyson regrets making the choice to dump Rooney.

Sure, he was champion during a dry spell of talent. But he was dominant and had an air of invincibility. His head was never screwed on right and his style doesn't translate well with age.

1) He failed to beat the "greats" of his era in Holyfield and Lewis

2) He failed to show "heart"(second Holyfield and Danny Williams)

3) He failed to "get up off the canvas" after getting knocked down(Douglas and Williams). Marciano, Holmes, Foreman, Ali, all had bout where they hit the floor, got up and won!

Tyson had plenty of talent and was the youngest fighter to win the HW title. This is about the only thing you can say about his career

The guys you mentioned were all past his prime. In his prime, he beat everyone who was there, he couldn't do anymore than that. There was no time machine to blast the 80s Tyson back to the 70s. You are a typical, ignorant, armchair internet warrior.

Should I list all the champions and former title jolders that he beat.

Trevor Berbick
Pinklon Thomas
Tony Tucker
Tony Tubbs
Larry Holmes
Mike Spinks- 91 seconds
Frank Bruno - twice
Bruce Seldon

Not all greats but all title holders.

Tyson also UD'ed James "Bonecrusher" Smith to win the WBA title in 1987.

Tyson had plenty of talent and was the youngest fighter to win the HW title. This is about the only thing you can say about his career

You could also say that Tyson won twelve championship fights, a feat that merits inclusion in the boxing hall of fame.

I wouldn't say Mike Tyson failed as a fighter, rather, Tyson wasted himself as a fighter. Cus D'Amato's passing was the WORST thing to EVER happen to him. Once his mentor and guidance left him, Game Over.

Thousands of boxers the world over would give their balls to be as much
of a failure as Tyson.

True, people will always think what could have been with Tyson. He actually did face good competition and had Cus D'Amato lived several more years Tyson would have defeated all the great fighters of his era. If you watched his old training videos, his speed, power and movement were unmatched.

I'd say that expectations of him were too high, not that he failed as a fighter

It's easy to talk shit about a legend and icon of the sport from a distance, isn't it?

Back