Tyson FAILED as a figter!

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by 2fast2see, Aug 13, 2010.

1. 2fast2see

2fast2see Green Belt

1) He failed to beat the "greats" of his era in Holyfield and Lewis

2) He failed to show "heart"(second Holyfield and Danny Williams)

3) He failed to "get up off the canvas" after getting knocked down(Douglas and Williams). Marciano, Holmes, Foreman, Ali, all had bout where they hit the floor, got up and won!

Tyson had plenty of talent and was the youngest fighter to win the HW title. This is about the only thing you can say about his career

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Blue Belt

Blasphemy!

While I respect that fact that you are entitled to your opinions, I don't not agree with them. And with that I bid you a good day sir.

3. TazZzZzZ

TazZzZzZ Yellow Belt

He possessed all the physical gifts that only few ppl. had, but he was mentally weak and that was his downfall.

4. Dizaster

Dizaster White Belt

Technically against Buster Douglas he did get up off the canvas to beat the count but the ref stopped it. I agree with your other points though and he will always be one of boxings biggest mysteries. People will always ask "what if" when his name comes up...

He could have done it all

5. Gorgo

Gorgo Purple Belt

Becoming the youngest HW champion and unifying the titles doesn't make you a failed fighter.

He had his time in the spotlight and like the majority of fighters went downhill from there.

No failure in that it's just what happens.

6. Sinister Cross

Sinister Cross Green Belt

You failed by not spelling "fighter" correctly.

7. The Green Lantern

The Green Lantern Beware My Power...

He may very well have failed as a figter, but as a fighter he was very successful...

8. MysticNinjaJay

MysticNinjaJay Banned Banned

He had just come out of prison and only had a few fights when he fought Holyfield.

He was past his prime when he fought Lewis.

He did beat Larry Holmes although Holmes was passed his prime himself.

He hurt his knee against Danny Williams. In their 2nd fight Holyfield headbutted him a couple times then he went nuts and bit his ears in retaliation. He was actually winning the 3rd Round.

He did get up against Douglas he just couldn't beat the count. Again, against Williams he hurt his knee.

Tyson was a good HW champion who could have been great if he hadn't have gotten so screwed up in the head. I put him will behind most of the HW greats as far as his career as a whole but I do think he could have been the greatest if he had a level head.

I think he could have beaten Holyfield and Lewis if he faced them during the early 90s without all of the bullshit marriage drama, trainer drama, management drama and rape conviction.

During his prime he looked invincible. I'm not trying to make excuses for his losses but people make a bit too much of them. There's a story behind most of them that includes a Tyson not fighting at his full capacity.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  9. Blair Dennett

Blair Dennett Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Sinister KO1. Learn to spell before talking smack about a fighter you obviously know very little about.

10. Colinfirth

Colinfirth Yellow Belt

Tyson did beat a lot of good heavyweights though and just about all the rest of the heavyweights. So he was the second best of his time behind holyfied. Lennox Lewis came after Tyson. Actually Tyson was the best and dominated before Holyfield was really established.

But the reason he didnt get off the canvas to win, is because he was actually just about NAILED to the canvas. The amount of punishment he took before going down was more than the likes of lennox lewis took. So by the time Tyson went down, he was just about finished and had nothign more to give.

11. Giant Midget

Giant Midget Blue Belt

He showed huge heart in the Lewis fight and he was past his prime then. The shots he took it looked like Lewis would need to use a hammer to keep him down.

12. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

"Didn't achieve everything he could have given his potential" = yep.

"Failed as a fighter" considering his unifying the HW titles as a kid, victories against the likes of Smith/Tucker/Spinks/Bruno/Ruddock, his incredible appeal to boxing fans and even non-boxing fans and his belonging to the all-time HW top 10 or 15 list = flat-out retarded, hence failing as a poster.

Please stop starting threads with idiotic titles. Thank you.

13. Juzie

Juzie Brown Belt

you failed as a poser

14. elljai

elljai Orange Belt

...and everyone (including me) has succeeded in feeding the troll!

15. Champion#1

Champion#1 Yellow Belt

What people fail to understand is Tyson would never have been the "Tyson" we know him as if he never met Cus D'amato....

D'amato was the beginning and the end for Tyson. Know body understood Tyson's style except D'amato and Rooney and by being manipulated of getting rid of them his style was never the same.

People thought Tyson was just a natural fighter.... Bollocks!

The style that he was taught as a younger was to not get hit and the style was brilliant. No one could hit Tyson, Tyson out jabbed the jabber, Larry Holmes didn't have a prayer.

But as I say Cus was the beginning and the end for Tyson.....

16. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

Get the fuck out of here. Tyson took that fight for the payday. He even thanked Lewis for the payday in the post fight interview.

17. power-athlete

power-athlete pro sherdog poster

Mike Tyson earned 300 million $ in his career.. what has TS done ?

18. cocksure

cocksure Silver Belt

Some illiterate tool is criticizing the most exciting fighter to ever lace on a pair of gloves. A fighter who gave much joy to many, who became the youngest ever HW champ at 20 and unified the belts by 22. If this is regarded as failure, then TS better take a long hard look into the mirror and decide whether there's any point in continuing his meaningless, crushingly futile existence?

19. Mike Mesey

Mike Mesey Amateur Fighter

Uh he has a sherdog log in.....thats expensive.
    No its free,nevermind.

20. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Black Belt

I can understand how someone can make the case if you look at the surface.

what I can't understand is someone thinking tyson after douglas was anywhere near his peak. when a man learns to lose then anything is possible, julio ceasar chavez quit many times later in his career, unthinkable if you watched him in the 80's.