Tyson FAILED as a figter!

A great fighter that fought to many cans and lost to one of them.

Tyson had the potential but his mind was his down fall and your only as good as your mind lets you to be.

He was the baddest man on the planet in a sport practiced by a great many.

It's only failure in the sense that he could have done better, but borderline top 10 heavyweight of all time isn't any failure unless you're a fucking retard.

Someone paste that awesome .gif of Tyson giving the staredown of death

20461.gif

The excuses people make for Tyson never ceases to amaze me.

Most fighters go on fighting after their peak and most give a better account of themselves than past his prime Tyson.

Most fighters go on fighting after their peak and most give a better account of themselves than past his prime Tyson.

Like who?

Joe Frazier?
Sonny Liston?
Floyd Patterson?
Marvin Hagler?
etc.
etc.

Tyson regained the hw championship, abiet against lackluster champs. That's better then 98% of all hw champions in history.

What people fail to give credit for is that when tyson first one the belt, his first 9 title defenses were against either other champs, or #1 contenders. No champ in history can claim that.

Hell, the first time tyson took a warm up fight, it was against douglas. LOL

Tyson was washed up by the time he fought Lennox lol

You don't need to make excuses for someone who can say he was the youngest heavyweight champ in history, and was at one time the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. And probably in the top 15 or so of all-time heavyweights.

If people have any concept of how many people have participated in the sport and deem Tyson a failure, what does that say about the 99.9999% of people he was better than?

This thread is silly, and shouldn't even have been written.

You don't need to make excuses for someone who can say he was the youngest heavyweight champ in history, and was at one time the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. And probably in the top 15 or so of all-time heavyweights.

If people have any concept of how many people have participated in the sport and deem Tyson a failure, what does that say about the 99.9999% of people he was better than?

This thread is silly, and shouldn't even have been written.

This/

Ill say this Tyson had a weak mind. When he had good people around you seen what he was capable of. Then all the snakes and rats got their hooks in him and he kind of self destructed. Its no ones fault but his but no ones perfect and you cant take away what the man accomplished. He was a real muthafucking talent that is for sure.

He had just come out of prison and only had a few fights when he fought Holyfield.

He was past his prime when he fought Lewis.

He did beat Larry Holmes although Holmes was passed his prime himself.

He hurt his knee against Danny Williams. In their 2nd fight Holyfield headbutted him a couple times then he went nuts and bit his ears in retaliation. He was actually winning the 3rd Round.

He did get up against Douglas he just couldn't beat the count. Again, against Williams he hurt his knee.

Tyson was a good HW champion who could have been great if he hadn't have gotten so screwed up in the head. I put him will behind most of the HW greats as far as his career as a whole but I do think he could have been the greatest if he had a level head.

I think he could have beaten Holyfield and Lewis if he faced them during the early 90s without all of the bullshit marriage drama, trainer drama, management drama and rape conviction.

During his prime he looked invincible. I'm not trying to make excuses for his losses but people make a bit too much of them. There's a story behind most of them that includes a Tyson not fighting at his full capacity.

this

I never agreed with the idea that Tyson had an "invincible" period. Tony Tucker (Tyson's best win) exposed Tyson's somewhat mechanical approach to fighting. He found that Tucker had trouble with the left body shot coming out of a low dip and he stuck with it carelessly which allowed Tucker to adapt.

Against Bonecrusher Smith, Tyson exhibited mediocre infighting skills, which would have made the fight much easier. He also showed a tendency to respond to power with power.

Pinklon Thomas demonstrated Tyson's reliance upon constant movement, which would have been hard to sustain against high volume fighters.

He was a heck of a fighter, but no one is invincible.

He might not have proven as much as some of the other great HW's did, but becomming the youngest undisputed HW champion ever is not something to sniff at.

Not many HW's will ever achieve something like that.

Plus the fact that tyson is one of the most recognisable boxers in history, was in some of the highest paid boxing matches of all time, is generally considered one of the greatest HW's of all time and still to this day has a rabidly loyal fanbase leads me to believe overall that he was a success as a fighter, just not the MOST successful.

straight troll thread. cant believe people gave this guy the time of day.

Like who?

Joe Frazier?
Sonny Liston?
Floyd Patterson?
Marvin Hagler?
etc.
etc.

Tyson regained the hw championship, abiet against lackluster champs. That's better then 98% of all hw champions in history.

What people fail to give credit for is that when tyson first one the belt, his first 9 title defenses were against either other champs, or #1 contenders. No champ in history can claim that.

Hell, the first time tyson took a warm up fight, it was against douglas. LOL

Guys like Lennox, Holyfield, Foreman, Holmes, Hopkins, Toney, etc.

There are other heavies who fought and beat better competition imo.

Tyson was one of the greatest fighters ever, how could you make that claim. He was world champ at like 20 years old!

Back