Tyron Woodley Says Fans Are Demanding Rematch with Usman

What's your position?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What Are You Talking About, Willis Tyron?

With the chaos that is the UFC’s welterweight division, former champion Tyron Woodley seems to have a solution.

“The Chosen One” had his over two-year title reign come to an end at UFC 235 when he lost a unanimous decision to Kamaru Usman. We haven’t heard much from Woodley following his first defeat since 2014. Woodley was scheduled to face Robbie Lawler in the main event of UFC Minneapolis last month, but the 37-year-old was forced to withdraw from the bout with a hand injury.

Following Jorge Masvidal’s incredible knockout win over Ben Askren at UFC 239 and the recent UFC Newark main event being announced between Colby Covington and Robbie Lawler, Tyron Woodley believes that his championship resume speaks for itself to earn him a rematch with Usman — who is dealing with an injury of his own — while the rest of the division can, essentially, continue to sort itself out.

“I think it’s so weird right now. Colby fighting Robbie is weird — even me fighting Robbie again was kind of weird,” Woodley told ESPN on the red carpet prior to Wednesday night’s ESPY Awards. “I think me and Usman should run it back.

“I think the fact that he’s injured, the fact that people are getting tired of Colby sitting around – he hasn’t fought since June of last year and he’s trying to call his shots from a s**t camera phone, I think it’s real important that people get a moment to sit back and think: Tyron beat all the best welterweights, in their prime, the number one contenders, defended his title four times, took out Robbie Lawler in a fraction of a second — which is historical — and he loses a fight, has a bad night.

“I think if anybody else Joanna (Jedrzejczyk), Cody Garbrandt, Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, anybody else, you see them in the title picture really quickly, so . . . The fans are kind speaking for me though.”

After capturing the title from Robbie Lawler at UFC 201 in June 2016, Tyron Woodley successfully defended the 170-pound strap against Stephen Thompson on two different occasions, Demian Maia and Darren Till. Woodley says he is healing up during his down time, is ready to get his chance at redemption.

“Health is doing well, hand is doing well, healing it up, training hard. I was training right before I came here so, all in all, I’m ready to get back after it, ready to get that belt back.”

-BJPenn.com

Nah fam go avenge your fallen comrade Askren. Usman probably injured for another 6 months. Woodley needs to take a fight.

Demand the Masival fight!
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JollyPreciousBassethound-small.gif

Last edited:
To be fair to Woodley professional athletes have pretty insular social circles and everyone he talks to irl probably does want him to have a rematch.

“I think the fact that he’s injured, the fact that people are getting tired of Colby sitting around – he hasn’t fought since June of last year and he’s trying to call his shots from a s**t camera phone, I think it’s real important that people get a moment to sit back and think: Tyron beat all the best welterweights, in their prime, the number one contenders, defended his title four times, took out Robbie Lawler in a fraction of a second — which is historical — and he loses a fight, has a bad night.

This quote right here really blows my mind

Colby doesn't deserve a shot because he hasn't fought and he is injured

Meanwhile, Woodley deserves a title shot because.....................he hasn't fought and is injured..........................

Nah that was complete domination from Usman

If it was close maybe, but I don't have any reason to believe a rematch goes differently so I have no desire to see it right now

I still want to see him fight Colby before he fights Usman again. If somehow Colby beats Usman, I don't mind Woodley vs. Colby as a titlefight.

Nah fam go avenge your fallen comrade Askren. Usman probably injured for another 6 months. Woodley needs to take a fight.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JollyPreciousBassethound-small.gif

I think calling out Masvidal would be a smart move for Woodley, there's a good chance that the Colby vs Lawler winner gets the next shot and with a win over Masvidal he could argue he deserves a rematch with Usman or a title shot if Usman loses to Lawler/Colby.

Sherdog is full of MMA fans. I come here everyday. I literally haven't seen even one person calling for that rematch.

Woodley is right - he deserves a rematch. He gave one to wonderboy and he took out the best the UFC had to offer, all while the UFC was cherry picking rangier strikers who they believed had the stylistic advantage over Woodley.

He probably won't get one b/c the Dana does not want Woodley as champion.

Woodley is right - he deserves a rematch. He gave one to wonderboy and he took out the best the UFC had to offer, all while the UFC was cherry picking rangier strikers who they believed had the stylistic advantage over Woodley.

He probably won't get one b/c the Dana does not want Woodley as champion.

The first Woodley - Wonderboy fight was a draw. So don’t say he gave him a rematch. They had to do that.

There are way too many fights for Usman fans want over another rematch with Woodley. You have contenders that deserve a shot at the championship.

Giving his issues with Dana in the past, also with alot depth in this division, Tyron is NEVER getting another title shot.

@Titleboxe, the one guy who's voted for 'I am a not Tyron fan and want him to have the rematch,' and everyone else that will vote for that option, just want Tyron to get his ass kicked for 5 rounds again.

Back