Typecasted actors

What is the difference between a character actor and someone who just happens to be typecast?

character actor:A character actor is an actor'actress who disappears in their role.they take their role with seriousness.I.e. Steve Buscemi,forest whitaker,Daniel Day Lewis(by far the best),robby deniro(before the 90's),

Typecast actors are actors who basically play the same character.Doesn't necessarily mean that they're bad.It could be a number of things,their height,appearance,voice,physical attributes.danny trejo.Huge tattoo on chest,prison background.Bob gunton(warden from shawshank redemption)dick-ish villiany characteristics.The late J.T. walsh,can play a villian with the best of them.that and he can portray dickishness to the core.

character actor:A character actor is an actor'actress who disappears in their role.they take their role with seriousness.I.e. Steve Buscemi,forest whitaker,Daniel Day Lewis(by far the best),robby deniro(before the 90's),

This is more "method acting" than character acting. Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire=Method. Jim Carrey as Ace Ventura=Character.

I think Rickman has somewhat managed to break out of that, he was in Galaxy Quest and Love Actually.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant

Sometimes typecast but can do other things

He has broken it anyways

Ray Liota played a mobster in a grip of his films.
Seth Rogan/Paul Rudd are literally the same character in every movie these days.
Michael Cera is reigning king of the "awkward guy" role.

What is the difference between a character actor and someone who just happens to be typecast?

Character actors are generally people that do somewhat offbeat roles. They can be OTT villains, loons, and dirty old men, amongst many other things. They're generally supporting roles, but can be the lead villain.

Typecast actors are people stuck doing a particular type of role.

Michael Cera = awkward teenager

tumblr_matrdsJWN61qfy2kdo1_250.gif

Ving Rhames - misunderstood/repentant black guy
Sean William Scott - party guy
Arnold Schwarzennegar - Hero

At least Will Smith got to lock lips with the goddess Charlize Theron. She was a milf in that movie.

Megan Fox, sexy young lady

Lyn Collings, damsel in distress

Jennifer Aniston, hot older woman from next door who so happens to be kinda funny

Noomi Rapace, girl who is weak, and gets into ton of shet, but some way manages to weasel her way out, and be the last one standing.

Came here to mention Aniston. I can't think of a single film of hers that isn't a romantic comedy and she plays almost the same character in each.

To be fair to Noomi Rapace, that role can be fitted into a lot of different films and done very differently. Your description describes her characters in Prometheus and the Millennium Trilogy but those are very different films and she plays a very different character in each. Haven't seen any of her other films though.

Will Farrell.

You might not like Ferrell, but I don't see how he has been typecasted at all. His characters in Anchorman, Step Brothers, A Night at the Roxbury, Talladega Nights, The Other Guys, Everything Must Go, Stranger Than Fiction, Land of the Lost and so on are all quite different.

Back