Television TV Show Thread

Carl Urban kills in that role , perfect casting imo
tenor.gif

lol sort of, if you exclude his APPALLINGLY BAD accent.
Seriously for the first 5 or 6 episodes until they say he's from London I thought he was playing an Australian who seemed to use a lot of English slang for some strange reason.
As London accents in film/tv I can't think of a worse one, Dick van Dyke included.
After the first few takes they should have reshot them and just got him to speak in his normal accent and accepted that he can't do a vaguely convincing London accent.

last ep of The Outsider.......... creeeeeeeeeeppy

Is The Outsider not at all popular?
I'm really liking it so far. Cynthia Erivo is brilliant in it too and I assume her accent is better than Carl Urban's London accent (see above). She certainly does a more convincing London accent anyway as she has one.

Seriously for the first 5 or 6 episodes until they say he's from London I thought he was playing an Australian who seemed to use a lot of English slang for some strange reason.
As London accents in film/tv I can't think of a worse one, Dick van Dyke included.
After the first few takes they should have reshot them and just got him to speak in his normal accent and accepted that he can't do a vaguely convincing London accent.
I concede your point but it's a super hero movie , how picky should we be about such things lol?

I concede your point but it's a super hero movie , how picky should we be about such things lol?

Well yes I still enjoyed it and for the majority of the show I didn't even realise that his character was meant to be from London. It didn't really detract from the remaining episodes but it was a genuine wtf he's from London, lol moment.

I recommend you all watch Banshee if you've not yet seen it. Basically an ex con steals a dead sheriff's identity and goes around a small town in Pennsylvania causing carnage.

I'm really liking it so far. Cynthia Erivo is brilliant in it too and I assume her accent is better than Carl Urban's London accent (see above). She certainly does a more convincing London accent anyway as she has one.

it's probably one of the best shows out right now.

Me and my wife started it 2 week ago. Great show. Wish I would have waited a bit longer for it to finish though.

The Outsider is great.

Everything you'd want in a horror/mystery tv show. HBO really did good with this one.

Prolly one of the few Asians who hasn’t seen Crazy Rich Asians, I had no idea who Awkwafina was. She’s hilarious... caught a few clips of her last bits and songs. Anyway getting ready towatch Nora from Queens.

Last edited:

To a Brit or Australian it probably sounds like shit, but to your average North American viewers we can’t distinguish English accents from Australian accents anyway so his performance is entirely believable.

To a Brit or Australian it probably sounds like shit, but to your average North American viewers we can’t distinguish English accents from Australian accents anyway so his performance is entirely believable.

Ignorance isn't really an excuse, although one of the first people I ever spoke to in the US asked if I was German. Confusing my London accent with a German one is just bizarre.

You don't generally see the same sort of comments from Americans about all the British or Australians doing American accents. 'The Walking Dead is great but what's up with Ricks accent?' 'Fear the Walking Dead is great but where is Alicia meant to be from?' 'The Good Doctor is completely ruined by Shaun and Claire's terrible accents'. 'What's up with Matt in Chicago Fire's accent, where's he meant to be from?'

It's usually the other way around when someone like Matthew Rhys does an award acceptance speech in his own Welsh accent and everyone loses their shit that he's not actually American.

Casting a New Zealander to do a London accent when they can't do a London accent just seemed a bit strange. I can't believe that anyone who heard it, where ever they're from could have thought it was in anyway convincing. Simon Pegg must have been on set when he was doing it, they could have just asked him. And..... why cast Simon Pegg as an American when his accent isn't good either.

If you're right though then why not just have Karl Urban do it in his normal NZ accent? Americans still wouldn't be able to tell.
Adding a tiny bit to Butchers back story would have worked too, say he moved to London from Wellington NZ at 18 and joined the police and it's all good.

Ignorance isn't really an excuse, although one of the first people I ever spoke to in the US asked if I was German. Confusing my London accent with a German one is just bizarre.

You don't generally see the same sort of comments from Americans about all the British or Australians doing American accents. 'The Walking Dead is great but what's up with Ricks accent?' 'Fear the Walking Dead is great but where is Alicia meant to be from?' 'The Good Doctor is completely ruined by Shaun and Claire's terrible accents'. 'What's up with Matt in Chicago Fire's accent, where's he meant to be from?'

It's usually the other way around when someone like Matthew Rhys does an award acceptance speech in his own Welsh accent and everyone loses their shit that he's not actually American.

Casting a New Zealander to do a London accent when they can't do a London accent just seemed a bit strange. I can't believe that anyone who heard it, where ever they're from could have thought it was in anyway convincing. Simon Pegg must have been on set when he was doing it, they could have just asked him. And..... why cast Simon Pegg as an American when his accent isn't good either.

If you're right though then why not just have Karl Urban do it in his normal NZ accent? Americans still wouldn't be able to tell.
Adding a tiny bit to Butchers back story would have worked too, say he moved to London from Wellington NZ at 18 and joined the police and it's all good.

what would you attribute that to? I feel like many of us have noticed that a lot of actors from the UK do seamless American accents (not everyone mind you, I felt like Cary Elwes for instance was having issues with his in Liar Liar and Saw at times just to give one example), and the same is not true of American actors doing accents from England, Ireland, etc.

Do you feel American accents are just easier to pull off and what is the linguistic rationale for that? Do British actors just have a better ear for and capacity for accents?

i, for one, remember finding it wholly impressive how guys like Farrell and Bale have very pronounced accents of their home regions but would play American characters all the time and have no issue with it.

im currently watching Falling Skies again. I thought it wasnt very good back when it originally aired but in 2020 its not that terrible anymore......

Its the walking dead with aliens. And they actually kill people.

Episode 1 and 2 of The Hunters on Amazon

Damn. So far so AWSOME!!!!!

<GinJuice><{1-69}>

Better Call Saul season 5 starts tonight.

Last edited:
Back