Television TV Show Thread

recommendation alert:

a few years ago, a comedy from the UK debuted called "Wasted". if you love Always Sunny, you'll love this, or should.

Sean Bean guest stars, playing a "Ned Stark" type of role but as himself, except all within the mind of the main character. three of the main characters have appeared in Game of Thrones, funnily enough: (Morpheus aka the fat guy - gatekeeper at Winterfell who wouldn't let Arya enter in the last season | Allison - the whore that Tyrion speaks with before Ser Friendzone captures him | Ken or Kent - the drunken dude who brags about banging Cersi only to have his head smashed into a wall later when pissing by the zombie Mountain).

James Lamont is a co creator or whateverthefuck, wrote a bunch of Gumball episodes, so it's creative as all hell, of the 'R' rated variety.

there are only 6 episodes, which sucks ass, & I actually emailed E4, & they responded saying this was always meant to be a small single season project & nothing more. fucking sucks.

every episode is great, but my favorites are episodes 2 & 4

enjoy!

I just watched the first ep of Avenue 5, it's pretty damn funny. The premise, in this sci-fi comedy, is that a pleasure cruiser (in space) gets knocked off course, and passengers will have to endure a 3 year voyage instead of an 8 week one, with a largely incompetent Captain (Dr House).
He's not an actual captain, the real captain dies in the incident, leaving no one in charge
Some of the jokes are hit and miss, but I had some good laughs already, def worth checking out

recommendation alert:

a few years ago, a comedy from the UK debuted called "Wasted". if you love Always Sunny, you'll love this, or should.

Sean Bean guest stars, playing a "Ned Stark" type of role but as himself, except all within the mind of the main character. three of the main characters have appeared in Game of Thrones, funnily enough: (Morpheus aka the fat guy - gatekeeper at Winterfell who wouldn't let Arya enter in the last season | Allison - the whore that Tyrion speaks with before Ser Friendzone captures him | Ken or Kent - the drunken dude who brags about banging Cersi only to have his head smashed into a wall later when pissing by the zombie Mountain).

James Lamont is a co creator or whateverthefuck, wrote a bunch of Gumball episodes, so it's creative as all hell, of the 'R' rated variety.

there are only 6 episodes, which sucks ass, & I actually emailed E4, & they responded saying this was always meant to be a small single season project & nothing more. fucking sucks.

every episode is great, but my favorites are episodes 2 & 4

enjoy!

Thanks for the recommendation, this is really funny/creative/ridiculous, makes me want to smoke some weed and watch the rest. I really miss my little pipe, became quite allergic to it though :(

Sean Bean is comedy gold, same as the fat guy.

Last edited:
The Outsider is fantastic. Got around to watching it last night. Wanted to watch all three at once but it was already late and did not want to be up till 3am when I have to be up at 5:30am.

Might just shut my door during lunch and watch it or take a snooze then watch it in the afternoon.

The-Outsider-Shape-Shifter-Monster.jpg

I just watched the first ep of Avenue 5, it's pretty damn funny. The premise, in this sci-fi comedy, is that a pleasure cruiser (in space) gets knocked off course, and passengers will have to endure a 3 year voyage instead of an 8 week one, with a largely incompetent Captain (Dr House).
He's not an actual captain, the real captain dies in the incident, leaving no one in charge
Some of the jokes are hit and miss, but I had some good laughs already, def worth checking out

Thanks for the recommendation, this is really funny/creative/ridiculous, makes me want to smoke some weed and watch the rest. I really miss my little pipe, became quite allergic to it though :(

Sean Bean is comedy gold, same as the fat guy.

I thought Avenue 5 was good too. Goofy but the dude who owns the shit (can't think of his name) is pretty funny.

The Outsider is fantastic. Got around to watching it last night. Wanted to watch all three at once but it was already late and did not want to be up till 3am when I have to be up at 5:30am.

Might just shut my door during lunch and watch it or take a snooze then watch it in the afternoon.

Best show I've watched in a while and I have any idea how it's going to go.

now I remember where I saw this motherfucker before haha
latest

Just finished Black sails and loved the show but the end was a let down...
The secret field where his gay lover was hidden the whole time and Long John Silver becoming a beta with the black woman forgiving him after he just ruined their chance at abolishing slavery felt like a cheap happy ever after ending.

I would have liked them to have completed their mission, for only then to end on a scene showing hundreds of English and Spanish ships coming to the island in what is to be an obvious fate to an unrealistic mission.

How about the retirement home for pirates ..... Wtflyingf

The ending of that show made me wish I'd never started it.

WB got Bad Robot and possibly JJ Abrams working on DC Dark for the streaming channel and movie production?

WB got Bad Robot and possibly JJ Abrams working on DC Dark for the streaming channel and movie production?

I thought that was a close of of some dank ass weed at first glimpse

HBO's The Outsiders is sooooo good.

This is one of the murder mystery shows that I find the journey to be so satisfying. It unravels at a natural pace but is so fulfilling.

HBO's The Outsiders is sooooo good.

This is one of the murder mystery shows that I find the journey to be so satisfying. It unravels at a natural pace but is so fulfilling.

I found the 3rd ep to be the weakest thus far but holy shit, the mystery "outsider" is creepy as all hell. I posted a clear pic of him & his face earlier, I'm definitely hooked on this. I found a new show to fill the void since Mr. Robot is over & done with.

btw, RE: Mr. Robot:

I don't know what the consensus is here, but this show has easily become my all time favorite series ever, ahead of Breaking Bad, The Wire, & Sopranos.

I am partial I have to admit, because the show is way too oddly familiar to me, to the point it's creepy. I too am an IT professional here in New York City & aside from the mental illnesses/awkwardness I pretty much view things so similarly the way Elliot does. for example, I've always wondered what it would be like if I could "right click" on people & view their "properties" - in the show, they made a very similar point to stress how it would if you could "view source info" from people:

anyways, I had no idea that there was a 13th episode, & thought it ended on the 12th. I thought it was an unusual cliffhanger, & messed up but accepted it as the 'finish' even though it made me feel weird. but after learning of & watching the 13th episode, I'm completely happy with the way it ended.

/rant

I threw this together for my brother who was in search of a new TV show. Figured it doesn't hurt to copy/paste it here. TV shows on IMDb's Top 250 from 2016 or later (no documentaries, no foreign languages, no anime):

#5 Chernobyl (HBO)
Docudrama, miniseries
About the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown

#36 When They See Us (Netflix)
Docudrama
Based on true story of the Central Park 5

#59 The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Sci-Fi / Fantasy
Star Wars story about a Mandalorian bounty hunter in the outer rim a few years after the destruction of the second Death Star

#69 The Boys (Amazon)
Fantasy
About a group of disenfranchised men who set out to take down the police superheroes worshiped by American culture who use that status to abuse their powers

#71 Cobra Kai (YouTube TV)
Comedy
Sequel series to The Karate Kid 30 years later.

#75 The Marvelous Ms. Maisel (Amazon)
Comedy
About a groundbreaking female comic in the 50's & 60's

#87 Fleabag (Amazon)
Comedy
Young woman living in London while coping with a tragedy. Current Emmy & Golden Globe winner for Best Comedy.

#93 The Crown (Netflix)
Docudrama
About Queen Elizabeth II and the events of her life that shaped the 20th century

#101 The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)
Horror
Ghost story about a haunted family

#103 This is Us (NBC)
Drama
Maudlin network drama about a regular American family's joys and heartbreaks in modern America

#121 Atlanta (FX)
Comedic Drama
Donald Glover's series about a young man trying to hold the center while striving to ascend in the rap industry in modern day Atlanta

#137 Mindhunter (HBO)
Drama
About two FBI agents who investigate serial killers in the 70's

#157 Love, Death, and Robots (Netflix)
Sci-Fi
A series of adult-themed cartoon shorts all of which in some way center around robots or technology

#179 The Night Of (HBO)
Drama, miniseries
A young man wakes up to find himself accused of the murder of a woman he picked up the previous night

#180 Big Little Lies (HBO)
Drama
About the sordid affairs of upper-class mothers yoked by an elite school system in a quiet California beach town

#182 Twin Peaks (Showtime)
Sort of impossible to define by genre
Sequel to the legendary miniseries by David Lynch-- the king of the bizarre

#194 The Punisher (Netflix)
Fantasy
Spin-off from Daredevil following the vigilante comic book antihero

#206 Anne with an E (HBO)
Drama
Adventures of young orphan girl on Prince Edward Island in the late 19th century

#216 Feud: Bette and Joane (FX)
Docudrama
About the legendary feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford

#224 Unbelievable (Netflix)
Docudrama
Based on true story of a girl who was accused of lying about being raped

#235 American Crime Story (FX)
Docudrama
A series about America's most famous historical criminals

#241 The Handmaiden's Tale (Hulu)
Sci-Fi Drama
Dystopian tale of a future where women are treated like livestock

He didn't like any of these he hadn't already seen, and ended up taking my suggestion to start on The Expanse, so maybe I won't have wasted my time if the guys here find something in this filtered shortlist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back