International Turkey announces invasion of Syria

The Turks just fucked in the US in the ass. Hard.

We set up a response cell and a joint patrol force to create a "security buffer zone" in Syria. They used our intel and assets to set conditions for this invasion.

Used us like a $2 whore.

And we will act like it's no big deal. Because we "need" them.

This is a pivotal moment for the Trump administration. He could fuck this up big time. Or take a hard line and push for Turkey to be kicked out of NATO because these fuckers do nothing for us other than being geographically convenient.

The Turks just fucked in the US in the ass. Hard.

We set up a response cell and a joint patrol force to create a "security buffer zone" in Syria. They used our intel and assets to set conditions for this invasion.

Used us like a $2 whore.

And we will act like it's no big deal. Because we "need" them.

This is a pivotal moment for the Trump administration. He could fuck this up big time. Or take a hard line and push for Turkey to be kicked out of NATO because these fuckers do nothing for us other than being geographically convenient.

Lindsey seems to be going all out on this issue. I've had a theory that he started kissing Trump's ass so that Trump would back him up on Syria.

I think Lindsey is his most important ally in the GOP Senate so if Trump really does cross Lindsey's "red line" here I wonder what the political fallout (if any) will be

It's always refreshing to see the POTUS tweeting like a particularly immature teenager.

Lol at all the “liberals” in here crying because we’re not fighting another foreign war.

This is terrible news.

If turkey is going to invade and likely annex parts of Syria, basically dismantling the state of Syria as a whole, then we can expect other regional powers to try to annex lands and maintain Syria as a proxy for their special interest.

Expect Iran, Israel, Hezbollah, Russia and Saudi Arabia to get involved one way or another, and expect them to try to drag in more powers.

This is how things spiral out of control.

Spot on.

America was THE stabilizing force in the region keeping things on a precarious balance. NO ONE wants to mess with the big dog. But now since we're pulling out, I expect things to get crazy just before election time. This will force us BACK into the fray and you know the old saying...

From the satirical political film "Wag The Dog".

Lindsey seems to be going all out on this issue. I've had a theory that he started kissing Trump's ass so that Trump would back him up on Syria.

I think Lindsey is his most important ally in the GOP Senate so if Trump really does cross Lindsey's "red line" here I wonder what the political fallout (if any) will be

I'm with you on all of that but have a prediction. Graham will be blowing Trump by the end of the week.

Anyone remember when turkey shot a russian bomber out of the sky with a F -16? Even though Russian plane was still in Syria borders. That could have been bad for them.

Now turkey is planning to invade a sovereign nation. I am interested to see how Putin responds.

The proxy forces of Iran are being crushed on all sides.

The invasion of Iraq and the gross mismanagement of the occupation is to blame for the instability in Syria and around the region. If you want to look for more structural factors that laid the groundwork for the instability that erupted during the Arab Spring you can look to Western sponsored neoliberal privatization and authoritarianism which was the source of a great many of the Arab people's grievances against their governments and before that of course the redrawing of the modern Middle East by the West at the start of the century. So yes the West is still largely to blame for the instability in the region though of course that reality shouldn't stop us from examining what actors within the region are doing to make it worse.
Well, what borders do you propose instead of the Sykes Picot? That area was a mess to begin with during the Ottoman era. The Ottomans had nominal power there but bands of bedouin raiders would routinely attack cities. Moreover the Ottomans were the aggressors and had their land invaded only as retribution.

Anyone remember when turkey shot a russian bomber out of the sky with a F -16? Even though Russian plane was still in Syria borders. That could have been bad for them.

Now turkey is planning to invade a sovereign nation. I am interested to see how Putin responds.
Don't forget about Andrei Karlov, the Russian ambassador killed by that Turkish cop. Both sides went well, this was a plot to get us to fight. And nothing happened.

We need to know exactly what are they're invading. The kurds are American supported, Putin doesn't care about the arab rebels either.
All in all we should take that war as lesson of the dangers of revolution. All the rebels achieved was the destruction of their country and balkanization.

What is the most charitable, defensible interpretation of this move? Seems like a bi-partisan agreement that this is a really bad idea.

Give the Kurds all the weapons they need.
Restore Constantinople.
God wills it.

what's the intended outcome here, a resurgent ottoman empire to act as a bulwark against russian expansion?
Suppress any Kurdish militant and nationalist forces to keep Turkey from falling apart.

Back