Truly A Depressing Match

I'm shocked at how many are slurping Francis, quite frankly. And how the fuck do these guys that are so injured even get cleared to fight by the doctors?!

Not a super fun fight but the unexpectedness was entertaining for me

lol what dude?

Ngannou was the one who initiated the wrestling because he couldn't lay a glove on Ciryl. And it won him the fight.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I know Ngannou initiated the wrestling and credit to him for having the fight IQ to realize what he needed to do. My point was Gane kept using that lazy front kick, basically giving Francis the takedowns. Gane didn't do much of anything on his feet either. He wouldn't take chances because he was either terrified (at worst) or made tentative (at best) by Ngganou's power so he showed almost none of his striking skills other than his movement.

The wrestling came down to one guy who was stronger than the other.

Really?? Considering that Gane is a MT fighter and an extremely huge guy, he actually defended reasonably well on the ground considering he had Ngannou on top of him..

Ngannou executed those take downs very cleanly, and had his basic positioning on the ground down quite well, not giving Gane much space to move.

Considering neither is a grappler, and they are both huge humans, they looked ok..

it looked like the fight was set at half speed. Those guys are SLOW

Jesus. Miserable. How the fuck do you call that depressing. It went down to the wire. Arguably greatest slam ever. Seening Ngannou use grappling. This is sherdog im not surprised.

Neither fighter did much damage to the other person so we weren't sure who was going to win the boring decision. That hardly means the fight "went down to the wire".

The slam didn't do any damage, it's not like the slam which KO'd Arona.

Gane was too afraid of Ngannou's power to open up in the striking. Those lazy push kicks he kept using just invited takedowns. Ngannou outwrestled him on strength alone. Shitty fight.

This is what I was thinking.. Ngannou's new found wrestling prowess was based on pure strength.. Once he got him down he couldn't do anything.. It reminded me of the origianl days of the UFC with Dan Sevryn before he learned GnP. In saying that it did the job and tired Cyril out and won him the fight so..I guess it worked.

And to think the skill sets they have standing, and we were left with this. Just seemed Ngannou just didnt want to be in there and Gane is too green.
They both wanted to be there and Gane is not 'green'. Gane tried to point fight his way to the belt and Ngannou took him down and beat him at his own game. Most good Champs do that - beat you where you excel.

They both wanted to be there and Gane is not 'green'. Gane tried to point fight his way to the belt and Ngannou took him down and beat him at his own game. Most good Champs do that - beat you where you excel.

Looks like we will have to disagree here.

And to think the skill sets they have standing, and we were left with this. Just seemed Ngannou just didnt want to be in there and Gane is too green.
Nah. That was awesome. I like slams

It was a poor spectacle considering the hype.. I genuinely thought it was going to be fucking fireworks.

Compare it to Moreno v Figgy, which was action packed and captivating. I couldn't sit down for 4th & 5th rounds.

Shouldn't complain because the rest of the card was class but that fight had serious potential that's unfulfilled

It's fine. If Gane got the heel hook last night then he would have been called submission wizard on the ground.

it looked like the fight was set at half speed. Those guys are SLOW

Not on the feet, Gane was really quick..

Ngannou weighs like 250lbs with blown out knees, you expect him to be tap dancing round the cage?

Also on the ground they didn't look that slow for guys who weigh that much..

Not on the feet, Gane was really quick..

Ngannou weighs like 250lbs with blown out knees, you expect him to be tap dancing round the cage?

Also on the ground they didn't look that slow for guys who weigh that much..

On the ground it looked like they were moving in quicksand. I have little to nothing positive to say about their grappling. It was pathetic

On the ground it looked like they were moving in quicksand. I have little to nothing positive to say about their grappling. It was pathetic

Considering their size, and relative short time training grappling, it looked respectable..

I was sort of under the impression that Gane was the only one who could stand with him. It sort of looked like that. When Stipe was in there, or DC if he ever would, there's much more of a sense of danger

Or maybe that's the new Ngannou with bad knees. *shrugs*

Back