TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Discussion

true-detective-gif.gif

Update: June 30, 2017

Mahershala Ali in Talks for the Lead in TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3

gettyimages-645657742-h_2017.jpg

Mahershala Ali may have found his next act. The Moonlight Oscar winner is in early discussions for a starring role in a potential third season of HBO anthology True Detective. A deal is far from done — and it remains unclear if there will actually be a third cycle of the franchise.

HBO programming president Casey Bloys has made no secret of his desire to move forward with the one-time Emmy-winning anthology. News broke in March that Deadwood creator David Milch was in early talks to board a potential third cycle of the franchise from creator Nic Pizzolatto. The latter, who has not done another series since True Detective's critically panned sophomore run, remains under an overall deal (through 2018) with HBO.

"We're open to someone else writing it with Nic supervising it; it's a really valuable franchise for us," Bloys told reporters in July 2016. "It's not dead; I'm just not sure we have the right take for a third season — yet."

Ali, who won an Academy Award for his supporting turn in best picture Moonlight, has had television roles in Netflix's House of Cards, as well as the streaming giant's Marvel drama Luke Cage.

'True Detective': Mahershala Ali in Talks for Season 3 Lead

Dude's the highlight of Luke Cage and the season went to shit as soon as he was done.

Optimistic for S3 with this news.

I'll give it a chance, but I won't sit through another full season if it doesn't seem to be going in the right direction. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and you won't fool me again.

I don't know. I just don't know.
I might- MIGHT- be willing to watch an episode. But by God and Sonny Jesus, if it appears even remotely close to going down the shithole that swallowed season 2.... i'm bailing.
True Detective 1 is one of the greatest things television has ever produced imo, and 2 was an abomination of human endeavor. How I wish to god I could go back in time and unsee it.

i enjoyed season 2

"alright franky, you wanna sqwab?"

*gets beat the fuck up and has teeth pulled out*

{<huh}

Season 1 director Fukunaga walked over differences with Pizolotto.

Season 2 was directed by one of the 'Fast and Furious' director's.

What differences? Interview link or anything? I'd be really interested in knowing. Fukunaga will be getting am academy award some day. Question of when, not if.

Mahershala Ali is in talks to star.
Solid move. While Luke Cage is a bit underwhelming overall, it's definitely not due to his role- which he nails imo. He reminds me of Boardwalk Empire's Chalky White

True Detective season two has to be the biggest waste since the movie The Counselor. There were a lot of great scenes and performances that just didn't entirely piece together. It didn't help that season 1 was incredible and season 2 had a few scenes each episode that made you think, it is all going to work. Top to bottom though, season 2 in my opinion had better cast but that was spread thin over a rough draft script. It is one of the few shows that didn't work but I thought all the actors came looking better even though it didn't work. I can watch Frank's last walk like once a month and still enjoy it. It had some pretty killer scenes.

That said, season 1 on second watch doesn't hold up as strong as the first time I saw it. Rust's mumbo jumbo kind of gets old and the show loses a lot when you already know Rust's not the killer. Great but just like The Sixth Sense, you can't watch a first time, again.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see if they can right the ship. Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of season 2.

Hmm. Got mixed feelings on this one. If they want it to have any hope of replicating the success of the first season, they need to stick to the formula that made the original great.

1. Small number of leads who share great chemistry.

2. Intriguing central plot (nobody gives a fuck about convoluted land deals).

3. Keep subplots to a minimum.

4. Keep it simple, stupid. Sometimes less is more.

I honestly can't remember a thing about season 2 except for CF's fat ginger son and VV dieing in the desert after seeing a ghost.

Season 3 can only be better than season 2, because the bar is set back to low.

Why aren't they continuing the story of the first season? Too much money to bring the actors back?

Why aren't they continuing the story of the first season? Too much money to bring the actors back?

What's there to continue? The story concluded definitively. Or do you mean put the two detectives on a new case?

What's there to continue? The story concluded definitively. Or do you mean put the two detectives on a new case?

They killed a retard who was part of a bigger conspiracy. They could always go after the rest of the cult.

Mahershala-Ali-True-Detective-Season-3-Dragonlord.jpg

Mahershala Ali may have found his next act. The Moonlight Oscar winner is in early discussions for a starring role in a potential third season of HBO anthology True Detective. A deal is far from done — and it remains unclear if there will actually be a third cycle of the franchise.

HBO programming president Casey Bloys has made no secret of his desire to move forward with the one-time Emmy-winning anthology. News broke in March that Deadwood creator David Milch was in early talks to board a potential third cycle of the franchise from creator Nic Pizzolatto. The latter, who has not done another series since True Detective's critically panned sophomore run, remains under an overall deal (through 2018) with HBO.

"We're open to someone else writing it with Nic supervising it; it's a really valuable franchise for us," Bloys told reporters in July 2016. "It's not dead; I'm just not sure we have the right take for a third season — yet."

Ali, who won an Academy Award for his supporting turn in best picture Moonlight, has had television roles in Netflix's House of Cards, as well as the streaming giant's Marvel drama Luke Cage.

So this is what an oscar gets you these days.

<{cruzshake}>

Don't do it Mahershala.

Mahershala-Ali-True-Detective-Season-3-Dragonlord.jpg

A step in the right direction. Now they need to get Daddario back for season 3, topless in every episode, and I'm in.

Back