TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3 Discussion

giphy.gif

I remember the raid scene was good, thats it tho, i can not even try to remember anything else of value

The characters, the mood, the world. I found Ray Velcoro to be a compelling successor to Rust Cohle. I also was fascinated by the way the plot was this entirely separate thing, that the characters were just kind of fired through. Rather than being a more neat & clean arc like most shows/movies. Felt more realistic in a way, and made the world seem bigger. So many things I loved about it personally

A number of people hated S2 before it even aired. Some hated it as soon as they heard the cast. It was good, but well below S1.
The same with Highlander 2. You can't win with some people.

In the jungle where you have the lion with the sharpest teeth and the rhino with the thickest skin...the elephant who never forgets is truly the most dangerous animal. I knew this. Season 2 knew this. And you can fucking believe Caspere knew this.
<DrakeLaugh>

Ray Velcoro was the only good thing about season 2 - i had such high hopes for Vaughn, to prove the naysayers wrong and deliver a worthy performance - but he was just flat. I don't think the script helped at all. Crazy, stilted dialog - Rust talked like that because he was a weirdo with PTSD - it made sense. This season everyone talked like Rust to a certain degree. I sounded like badly done David Mamet speak. It made me apoplectic.

The big shootout that was supposed to be climax of the mid season just felt empty and I didn't really care if any of the main characters died or not. I was just very disinterested in the gay cop or the woman cop. It wanted to be like the shootout in Heat. Not anywhere close.

Honestly the only emotional investment I had in that season as the relationship between Velcoro and his son. He saw the tracking device on his car, and he didn't even give it a fucking go to take it off and lose his assassins - I get it he was buying time for the lady cop to get out. But it just felt so weak, he didn't even try.

Last edited:
Season 2 was epic, what's the matter with you people

TtnBxgXAteTDi.gif

Ray Velcoro was the only good thing about season 2 - i had such high hopes for Vaughn, to prove the naysayers wrong and deliver a worthy performance - but he was just flat. I don't think the script helped at all. Crazy, stilted dialog - Rust talked like that because he was a weirdo with PTSD - it made sense. This season everyone talked like Rust to a certain degree. I sounded like badly done David Mamet speak. It made me apoplectic.

The big shootout that was supposed to be climax of the mid season just felt empty and I didn't really care if any of the main characters died or not. I was just very disinterested in the gay cop or the woman cop. It wanted to be like the shootout in Heat. Not anywhere close.

Honestly the only emotional investment I had in that season as the relationship between Velcoro and his son. He saw the tracking device on his car, and he didn't even give it a fucking go to take it off and lose his assassins - I get it he was buying time for the lady cop to get out. But it just felt so weak, he didn't even try.

I enjoyed series 2 but I thought it suffered from having too much disjointed story line material and characters that it ended up a clusterfuck. I felt the same way about Delcoro in that he was the only character that I felt somewhat attached to. The rest of them seemed kind of flat & actor that played the cop that was former military (Woodring?) was the standout example out of them. One of the things I did enjoy in Season 2 was that creepy intro music that created a dark atmosphere.

Season 1 had a certain mysticism that was really compelling. In the end, it was a red herring and, ultimately, a buddy cop show. The trolling level was brilliant. Some were disappointed in that, but I thought it was hilarious. Also, mcconaughey was just about perfect. It was seriously one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I get thinking season two wasn't as good as one but the hate for it is to much some of the posters in this thread think the marvel Netflix shows are good tv

season 1 - jaw dropping entertainment
season 2 - eye bleeding

Update: June 30, 2017

Mahershala Ali in Talks for the Lead in TRUE DETECTIVE Season 3

Mahershala-Ali-True-Detective-Season-3-Dragonlord.jpg

Mahershala Ali may have found his next act. The Moonlight Oscar winner is in early discussions for a starring role in a potential third season of HBO anthology True Detective. A deal is far from done — and it remains unclear if there will actually be a third cycle of the franchise.

HBO programming president Casey Bloys has made no secret of his desire to move forward with the one-time Emmy-winning anthology. News broke in March that Deadwood creator David Milch was in early talks to board a potential third cycle of the franchise from creator Nic Pizzolatto. The latter, who has not done another series since True Detective's critically panned sophomore run, remains under an overall deal (through 2018) with HBO.

"We're open to someone else writing it with Nic supervising it; it's a really valuable franchise for us," Bloys told reporters in July 2016. "It's not dead; I'm just not sure we have the right take for a third season — yet."

Ali, who won an Academy Award for his supporting turn in best picture Moonlight, has had television roles in Netflix's House of Cards, as well as the streaming giant's Marvel drama Luke Cage.

'True Detective': Mahershala Ali in Talks for Season 3 Lead

Back