Troy: The Director's Cut

Thank you TS!
I already loved the standard version of this movie!
I'll be sure to check this out! :)

I actually really like Troy. I need to check this out. Thanks ts!

Is there a version of Alexander that is good? I have heard only negative things about that movie.

All it takes is picking up a few books and actually reading them, you'll enjoy..

Kinda like now days FUCK GOT AND TWD!! Books, way better...

Except,

This is history...

Not fiction

How many of you have seen the original Troy that came out in 2004, starring Brad Pitt? The general consensus is pretty mixed, with the majority admiring the spectacle but criticizing the lack of depth.

But did you know there's a director's cut that vastly improves on the original? It is recut and lengthened thirty minutes, and all the depth that was lacking, including character development, is now present. Not only that, it expands the battles and are made much more bloody and gory. Apparently it was shortened and toned down in order to appeal to a larger, more casual audience, but in doing so removed too much of it's grit and savagery. The director's cut restores it to the way it was meant to be viewed, and makes it into the grand epic classic it should have been in the first place.

Take this scene for example, particularly Ajax's rampage starting at 3:50. Note the bloody brutality of Ajax's onslaught.

Now compare it to the theatrical release, which was much more toned down. Here, the Ajax bit is significantly shortened and stripped of it's brutal element.

The sacking of Troy is also greatly expanded upon, and whereas they could almost get away with a PG-13 rating for the theatrical release, scenes like this firmly place at an R rating. The director's cut holds nothing back, and shows about what you'd expect from the reality of a sacked city, whereas the theatrical release just glossed over most of the ugly moments.

If you saw the original and were disappointed, I'd strongly recommend seeing the director's cut. It makes the movie into a much more worthwhile, enjoyable experience. This movie isn't remembered as fondly as it should be, and I'd imagine a large number of people aren't aware of the Director's Cut, as I certainly wasn't. I already enjoyed the original, but this version makes it so much better.

It’s a great movie, among my favourite sword and sandal flicks. I’m about 80% sure that I own the Director’s Cut on DVD but all my movies have been boxed up for about a year now so I’m not 100% certain.

Liked Troy enough to see it twice in the theaters, but man, that beach scene sure hasn't aged well.

I'm sorry, what makes you say that?
Maybe the shitty music plays into it, but it feels incredibly disjointed and small-scale compared to what we've seen in recent years.

Maybe the shitty music plays into it, but it feels incredibly disjointed and small-scale compared to what we've seen in recent years.
I've seen both versions and I don't think the music is "shitty" in either one. I can't say I have any idea what you're talking about.

I've seen both versions and I don't think the music is "shitty" in either one. I can't say I have any idea what you're talking about.
To each their own, bro. I remember the original version being exciting, but it has been years. Watching this version on youtube, the music didn't exactly scream 'epic' to me.

I've never managed to retain consciousness through an entire viewing of Kingdom of Heaven.
I was the same way with the original version in theaters. The "real" one really is that much better.

they really need to do another epic movie like this/gladiator type thing

Back