Troy: The Director's Cut

Kyojiro Kagenuma

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
How many of you have seen the original Troy that came out in 2004, starring Brad Pitt? The general consensus is pretty mixed, with the majority admiring the spectacle but criticizing the lack of depth.

But did you know there's a director's cut that vastly improves on the original? It is recut and lengthened thirty minutes, and all the depth that was lacking, including character development, is now present. Not only that, it expands the battles and are made much more bloody and gory. Apparently it was shortened and toned down in order to appeal to a larger, more casual audience, but in doing so removed too much of it's grit and savagery. The director's cut restores it to the way it was meant to be viewed, and makes it into the grand epic classic it should have been in the first place.

Take this scene for example, particularly Ajax's rampage starting at 3:50. Note the bloody brutality of Ajax's onslaught.

Now compare it to the theatrical release, which was much more toned down. Here, the Ajax bit is significantly shortened and stripped of it's brutal element.

The sacking of Troy is also greatly expanded upon, and whereas they could almost get away with a PG-13 rating for the theatrical release, scenes like this firmly place at an R rating. The director's cut holds nothing back, and shows about what you'd expect from the reality of a sacked city, whereas the theatrical release just glossed over most of the ugly moments.

If you saw the original and were disappointed, I'd strongly recommend seeing the director's cut. It makes the movie into a much more worthwhile, enjoyable experience. This movie isn't remembered as fondly as it should be, and I'd imagine a large number of people aren't aware of the Director's Cut, as I certainly wasn't. I already enjoyed the original, but this version makes it so much better.

I'll have to watch it. Despite there being obvious criticisms that were legit, I felt like the movie got a bad deal at the time. It was quite enjoyable and, yeah, had spectacle and larger that life characters out the wazoo and made them all work together pretty well. Some solid performances too.

Just hoping it's not like Amadeus... Adding more to that movie made it significantly worse.

817WG-oDiEL._SX342_.jpg

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut > Troy Director's Cut.

I'll have to watch it. Despite there being obvious criticisms that were legit, I felt like the movie got a bad deal at the time. It was quite enjoyable and, yeah, had spectacle and larger that life characters out the wazoo and made them all work together pretty well. Some solid performances too.

Just hoping it's not like Amadeus... Adding more to that movie made it significantly worse.
No, trust me, this director's cut improves on the theatrical in just about every aspect.

th

The extended version of the series makes a great trilogy even better, IMHO.

I liked it when it came out originally. Upon subsequent viewings over the years, I like it a little less. It hasn't' aged well IMO. I remember when 300 came out. I was pumped after seeing that in theatre, so I came home and put on Troy. To say that 300 was significantly better is a bit of an understatement.

I still enjoy Troy, but like I said earlier, it hasn't aged particularly well IMO.

Something else that makes this movie notable is that in a movie where almost EVERYONE dies, Sean Bean survives. He even gets to kill the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, lol.

I liked it when it came out originally. Upon subsequent viewings over the years, I like it a little less. It hasn't' aged well IMO. I remember when 300 came out. I was pumped after seeing that in theatre, so I came home and put on Troy. To say that 300 was significantly better is a bit of an understatement.

I still enjoy Troy, but like I said earlier, it hasn't aged particularly well IMO.
The theatrical release or the Director's Cut? As a whole, I enjoy Troy's director's cut more than 300. Less over the top, easier to take seriously.

th

The extended version of the series makes a great trilogy even better, IMHO.
Yes, these are much more well known though. I feel as if the Directo's Cut to Troy isn't seen as the true version of Troy, as it should be.

Man awesome news !!! Troy is actually my favourite war movie !!!!! r i p hector love u

Yes, these are much more well known though. I feel as if the Directo's Cut to Troy isn't seen as the true version of Troy, as it should be.

I didn't even know there WAS a director's cut of Troy until now! :)

Got me pumped for some Troy. I always liked the original even after a few viewings. Will have to make the time to watch the cut!

Back