Tried Complexes-OMG!

I am going to try these!

Thanks for the link!

Wolverine
///

eish i got so many programs i wanna hit right now. post results in a few weeks please guys!

parallax86 said:
eish i got so many programs i wanna hit right now. post results in a few weeks please guys!

Heh a few weeks won't really tell much about the program, maybe not even a few months.

Sean S said:
Heh a few weeks won't really tell much about the program, maybe not even a few months.

you should b seein results within a month , or the program is wasting your time, rite ? thats the way iv always done it.

i cant believe you did this workout even after urban said it was stupid

Those videos are pretty hardcore. I think I might give it a try in a few weeks.

The best videos on complexes are Juan Carlos Santana's DB and Band/Pulley vids. They are very info dense for the price.

CarnalSalvation said:
I don't like them, because the load is so uneven. I mean, you're limited by your weakest lift. I suck at overheads for example, so I'd have to go light enough to be able to push press it, which would render the squatting (for example) nearly useless.

However I'm not a fighter, and if it's good enough for Randy, it's good enough for me.

This is why I hate even the idea of complexes.

[sarcasm]Let's take the brilliant idea of complexes a bit further:

You train to, let's say, fight MMA. To make this complex as comprehensive as possible, you should do the aforementioned BB complex with your seemingly arbitrary load (that is ideal for no one exercise), while running for cardio, and someone can be punching you in the abs for conditioning, and other people can be trying to grab your legs for sprawling practice. That's a far better idea than actually using weights specifically to get stronger, and using other methods to address cardio, lactic threshold, etc. [/sarcasm]

EDIT: To summarise, while people seem to think complexes are the sport-specific answer to MMA training, they're not specific to anything at all except doing complexes.

Johnny you may be right, but If you lifted heavy the day before and couldn't make it to mma practice what should you do, nothing? I admit I hate running, but even if I didn't running does not tax me or kick my ass like complexes did. I always lift heavy and for low reps so this taxes my system with dynamic and repetition methods that I otherwise would not have time for.

wenispinkle said:
i cant believe you did this workout even after urban said it was stupid

I don't know if you were referring to me, but everyone is different. Sure Urban is quite knowledgeable and I agree with him most of the time but noone's opinion will sway me from trying something that I think may be beneficial for myself. It sounded good and I tried it and was shocked how much it took out of me, and I think of myself as fairly strong and conditioned.Thais being said I probably will only get to do complexes once or twice a week. I am starting a second job soon so the days I can't train mma I will supplement with complexes. I am going out on a long limb here, but the 2 training days I had since doing complexes I was not very winded, nor did I feel exhausted as I sometimed do. Suprisingly I had very little sleep, which is unusual but I felt really good training. Did the complexes have anything to do with it? I doubt it, but it surely didn't hurt. One more point, everyone points out how you are limited with the weight you can put on the bar. I don't do these for 1 rep maxes. I always lift heavy, 5 reps or less with big multi-joint movements. Explosive and repetition training was lacking in my arsenal. Complexes may not be considered as either dynamic or repetition training but I feel they are a type of crossbreed between the two.

What is closer to fighting?
a. Taking a considerable amount of time to get psyched up. Then stepping under the bar and doing 1 rep at a high % of your max. Then taking 3-5 minutes before attempting another single.
OR
b. Doing 60+ sub maximal movements in under two minutes. Then getting a short rest period and having to do it again.
Im thinking b. Complexes are not going to be the best for limit strenght. But for endurance they are fun and challenging. And for a fighter good muscular endurance can allow you to apply a higher percentage of the strenght you have for a longer time.

CarnalSalvation said:
Urban doesn't even have pubes dude, dont' worry about him.
YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T TELL!!!

That's basicly my thinking Sambo. I always lift heavy, but I really felt taxed doing complexes similair to when i am fighting.

So the idea of complexes for a fighter is as energy system work, not as strength training. Keep that in mind. Alwyn isn;t saying only train complexes, just that they serve a very effective means of developing conditioning. And on that point I'd find it hard to disagree, especially if anyone here has fought AND tried complexes as well. In the example in the article he added the complexes at the end of the strength portion 2x/week.

Goddamn people need to be more open minded

Espo said:
I don't know if you were referring to me, but everyone is different. Sure Urban is quite knowledgeable and I agree with him most of the time but noone's opinion will sway me from trying something that I think may be beneficial for myself. It sounded good and I tried it and was shocked how much it took out of me, and I think of myself as fairly strong and conditioned.Thais being said I probably will only get to do complexes once or twice a week. I am starting a second job soon so the days I can't train mma I will supplement with complexes. I am going out on a long limb here, but the 2 training days I had since doing complexes I was not very winded, nor did I feel exhausted as I sometimed do. Suprisingly I had very little sleep, which is unusual but I felt really good training. Did the complexes have anything to do with it? I doubt it, but it surely didn't hurt. One more point, everyone points out how you are limited with the weight you can put on the bar. I don't do these for 1 rep maxes. I always lift heavy, 5 reps or less with big multi-joint movements. Explosive and repetition training was lacking in my arsenal. Complexes may not be considered as either dynamic or repetition training but I feel they are a type of crossbreed between the two.

i was being sarcastic. i like complexes

sambo fighter said:
What is closer to fighting?
a. Taking a considerable amount of time to get psyched up. Then stepping under the bar and doing 1 rep at a high % of your max. Then taking 3-5 minutes before attempting another single.
OR
b. Doing 60+ sub maximal movements in under two minutes. Then getting a short rest period and having to do it again.
Im thinking b. Complexes are not going to be the best for limit strenght. But for endurance they are fun and challenging. And for a fighter good muscular endurance can allow you to apply a higher percentage of the strenght you have for a longer time.

closest thing to fighting is fighting. go fight

funny how the tides turn...I post this type of workout last week and everyone dawgs it for the use of light weights and the "Complex" idea of training...

Javoreks work is the real deal...We are coming out with a new grapplers guide to complex training with coach J and the workouts are down right nasty...

GREAT THREAD GUYS

I don't recall anyone dogging on this type of workout. Most of the time everyone's open minded about stuff and will give it a try, tabata's, guerilla cardio, complexes, GFH!, etc. Unless of course the workouts a complete piece of shit like anything Big Pam would advocate.

Back