1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Tried Complexes-OMG!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Espo, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Espo

Espo Purple Belt

Wow, I did Cosgrove's complex 1 from the elitefts mma article. It consisted of :

Deadlifts*6
    RDL *6
    Rows *6
    Cleans *6
    Front Squats*6
    Push Press*6
    Back Squat*6
    Good Morning*6

It was a killer. I used 95 lbs on the bar and could only manage 2 sets. I wasn't exactly fresh though. I was still very sore in the back and hamstrings from 2 days before. The biggest problem I had was stiffness in the lower back and lactic acid build-up. I did feel tired like I would be in a fight. My question is does lactic acid tolerance improve significantly with this kind of work? I am guessing the work capacity in general will improve. I will try to build up to 4-5 sets as recommended in the article and I will hopefully try to add weight every other workout or so. I highly recommend this workout. It was the closest I came to puking in a very long time, and to me it beats running and sprinting. Also since I lift heavy twice a week I don't have any dynamic or repetition workouts. I think complexes can somewhat qualify for both in my situation.

2. CarnalSalvation

CarnalSalvation Trying to make a Milankey

You know I always wondered why nobody used barbell complexes anymore, guess it just took WSB spouting some old school soviet knowledge again.

3. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Tell me more.

4. Espo

Espo Purple Belt

Chad, check it out bro. http://elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

Carnal do you have any experience positive or negative concerning complexes? It's all kind of new to me. I didn't even know it was old school Soviet knowledge. It seems to tax my system just like a fight. I actually have heard about them for a little while now but I just never tried it.

5. T-Man

T-Man Guest

I read somewhere a routine that Randy Couture did and it looked a lot like this one.

6. I was thinking of adding a complex onto the end of one of my workouts. Nothing fancy, just something that fills in some specific needs.

7. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

i also wonder why people dont do circuits. i did a whole body circuit that took a half hour and it felt like id been hit by a truck.

8. carped33z

carped33z Guest

circuit training is a great way to get all tired without getting any real work done. source:

9. CarnalSalvation

CarnalSalvation Trying to make a Milankey

I don't like them, because the load is so uneven. I mean, you're limited by your weakest lift. I suck at overheads for example, so I'd have to go light enough to be able to push press it, which would render the squatting (for example) nearly useless.

However I'm not a fighter, and if it's good enough for Randy, it's good enough for me.

10. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

I have to be able to train again. I thought about something like this complex right before it was posted on elitefts (i was like :eek: when i saw the article on efts). And i think that they are soemthing i really gonna like. In the complexes i "designed" for fun i had different repranges for the different exercises (that makes i less uneven). But to konw if this makes sense i have to try them out first.
    And circuit training has definatley some advantages and a bodyweightonly-circuit will be the first thing i will do to get me back into training.

11. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Thanks Espo.

12. Espo

Espo Purple Belt

No problem.

13. Wrecking Ball

Wrecking Ball Orange Belt

Yea that complex is killer. I can manage 3 sets with 105. I'm going to do a whole cycle with them once I get over this flu...

Espo, I think you're supposed to keep the weight the same for a cycle, and lower the rest and increase sets.

14. 101pro

101pro Orange Belt

www.istvanjavorek.com

has a ton of articles about complexes (he's the complex king) and excerpts from his book

15. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

having` couple` of` barbells` would `solve` that` problem.

16. Duncon76

Duncon76 Blue Belt

I love them. I try to do them often..

17. yomon

yomon Green Belt

the best complex ever was the one that included a deadlift, front squat, rear squat, and 2 overhead presses. do it 10 times fast and kile over in pain

18. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

I used to do complexes but ore for the lower body combining squats with some other exercises but tht looks like one killer complex.

19. Reakt

Reakt Green Belt

the bear

20. Espo

Espo Purple Belt

Yeah dude, I know your supposed to do a cycle of them and reduce the rest times accordingly like the article states, but I don't have a stop watch/rotating clock in the whole house. I should just stop being a lazy ass and go get one already.