Tried Complexes-OMG!

Espo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I did Cosgrove's complex 1 from the elitefts mma article. It consisted of :

Deadlifts*6
RDL *6
Rows *6
Cleans *6
Front Squats*6
Push Press*6
Back Squat*6
Good Morning*6

It was a killer. I used 95 lbs on the bar and could only manage 2 sets. I wasn't exactly fresh though. I was still very sore in the back and hamstrings from 2 days before. The biggest problem I had was stiffness in the lower back and lactic acid build-up. I did feel tired like I would be in a fight. My question is does lactic acid tolerance improve significantly with this kind of work? I am guessing the work capacity in general will improve. I will try to build up to 4-5 sets as recommended in the article and I will hopefully try to add weight every other workout or so. I highly recommend this workout. It was the closest I came to puking in a very long time, and to me it beats running and sprinting. Also since I lift heavy twice a week I don't have any dynamic or repetition workouts. I think complexes can somewhat qualify for both in my situation.

You know I always wondered why nobody used barbell complexes anymore, guess it just took WSB spouting some old school soviet knowledge again.

Chad Hamilton said:
Tell me more.

Chad, check it out bro. http://elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

Carnal do you have any experience positive or negative concerning complexes? It's all kind of new to me. I didn't even know it was old school Soviet knowledge. It seems to tax my system just like a fight. I actually have heard about them for a little while now but I just never tried it.

I read somewhere a routine that Randy Couture did and it looked a lot like this one.

I was thinking of adding a complex onto the end of one of my workouts. Nothing fancy, just something that fills in some specific needs.

i also wonder why people dont do circuits. i did a whole body circuit that took a half hour and it felt like id been hit by a truck.

circuit training is a great way to get all tired without getting any real work done. source:

I don't like them, because the load is so uneven. I mean, you're limited by your weakest lift. I suck at overheads for example, so I'd have to go light enough to be able to push press it, which would render the squatting (for example) nearly useless.

However I'm not a fighter, and if it's good enough for Randy, it's good enough for me.

I have to be able to train again. I thought about something like this complex right before it was posted on elitefts (i was like :eek: when i saw the article on efts). And i think that they are soemthing i really gonna like. In the complexes i "designed" for fun i had different repranges for the different exercises (that makes i less uneven). But to konw if this makes sense i have to try them out first.
And circuit training has definatley some advantages and a bodyweightonly-circuit will be the first thing i will do to get me back into training.

Yea that complex is killer. I can manage 3 sets with 105. I'm going to do a whole cycle with them once I get over this flu...

Espo, I think you're supposed to keep the weight the same for a cycle, and lower the rest and increase sets.

CarnalSalvation said:
I don't like them, because the load is so uneven. I mean, you're limited by your weakest lift. I suck at overheads for example, so I'd have to go light enough to be able to push press it, which would render the squatting (for example) nearly useless.

However I'm not a fighter, and if it's good enough for Randy, it's good enough for me.
having` couple` of` barbells` would `solve` that` problem.

the best complex ever was the one that included a deadlift, front squat, rear squat, and 2 overhead presses. do it 10 times fast and kile over in pain

I used to do complexes but ore for the lower body combining squats with some other exercises but tht looks like one killer complex.

yomon said:
the best complex ever was the one that included a deadlift, front squat, rear squat, and 2 overhead presses. do it 10 times fast and kile over in pain

the bear

Wrecking Ball said:
Yea that complex is killer. I can manage 3 sets with 105. I'm going to do a whole cycle with them once I get over this flu...

Espo, I think you're supposed to keep the weight the same for a cycle, and lower the rest and increase sets.

Yeah dude, I know your supposed to do a cycle of them and reduce the rest times accordingly like the article states, but I don't have a stop watch/rotating clock in the whole house. I should just stop being a lazy ass and go get one already.

Back