Traveling is Overrated

P

Pugilistic

Anyone else think traveling is overrated? It seems most people around my age or younger are big on traveling. Every other person I’ve met has backpacked around Europe or some shit. And they think they’re enlightened and worldly because they posed on top of the great wall or some shit. Every other chick has dreams of traveling the world. I told one of my friends I’m not a fan of traveling and he couldn’t believe it.

I mean looking at cool shit and taking pics at new places is fun and all but I’m left asking, what do I really get out of all of this other than bragging rights and likes on facebook? I feel like if I travel, it would be to stay at one place for a few months and to get to know the culture and the people as much as I can. For most people I know traveling seems to be a series of taking pics of one famous place and moving on to the next one. The long waits the airport, and sitting on a plane/train/bus for hours, hauling your luggage around, going through customs, etc., don’t seem worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, if it was paid for and I was granted time off work (like an overseas business trip), I would jump at the opportunity, but using my own money and time doesn’t seem to have a very favorable cost-benefit ratio.

The last time I went “traveling” was going to a beach several hours away from where I live with my friends. The fun of it was getting to hang out with my friends really, not that we were in a different place.

Cliffs: Traveling is meh

I wish I could travel. I'm jealous of people my age drinking & fucking their way throughout Asia. I already have 2 kids before I graduated from college.

Could not disagree more. Traveling is awesome.

Its fucking amazing. All the places I've worked/traveled to have had a huge impact on me as a person. Even the bad times away I'd never trade in.

You're doing it wrong.

Travelling is the ginchiest.

Anyone else think traveling is overrated? It seems most people around my age or younger are big on traveling. Every other person I’ve met has backpacked around Europe or some shit. And they think they’re enlightened and worldly because they posed on top of the great wall or some shit. Every other chick has dreams of traveling the world. I told one of my friends I’m not a fan of traveling and he couldn’t believe it.

I mean looking at cool shit and taking pics at new places is fun and all but I’m left asking, what do I really get out of all of this other than bragging rights and likes on facebook? I feel like if I travel, it would be to stay at one place for a few months and to get to know the culture and the people as much as I can. For most people I know traveling seems to be a series of taking pics of one famous place and moving on to the next one. The long waits the airport, and sitting on a plane/train/bus for hours, hauling your luggage around, going through customs, etc., don’t seem worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, if it was paid for and I was granted time off work (like an overseas business trip), I would jump at the opportunity, but using my own money and time doesn’t seem to have a very favorable cost-benefit ratio.

The last time I went “traveling” was going to a beach several hours away from where I live with my friends. The fun of it was getting to hang out with my friends really, not that we were in a different place.

Cliffs: Traveling is meh

Backpacking and staying in hostels definitely is. The college kids think it is cool, and a great life experience or a lifestyle.

I like to travel, but I do so in comfort. And I enjoy it for what it is. I dont make it out into a lifestyle, or think it makes me a better person. Those people are like the hipsters of vacation.

And then there are those college kids that take those transfer semester and go to some European place, then come back and they think they all that, and worldly, and better than everyone else. Those people are so annoying.

I disagree, but I kind of get where you're coming from. In that, some people post pictures of them on their travels all over social media and make their life look like a travel brochure with *random motivational quote* caption attached here. I think that shit is pretty cheesy. But actually leaving somewhere, getting out of your comfort zone and seeing new sights. There's no experience that really tops that.

Pretty much everything is overrated on sherdog lol.

No, not at all. It's incredible. If exploring some far off exotic land doesn't excite you then you must be dead inside.

Backpacking and staying in hostels definitely is. The college kids think it is cool, and a great life experience or a lifestyle.

I like to travel, but I do so in comfort. And I enjoy it for what it is. I dont make it out into a lifestyle, or think it makes me a better person. Those people are like the hipsters of vacation.

And then there are those college kids that take those transfer semester and go to some European place, then come back and they think they all that, and worldly, and better than everyone else. Those people are so annoying.

What if you're actually broke and want to travel though? A friend recommended that I go backpacking and hosteling on the cheap, and i'm seriously considering it. I kind of like the idea of roughing it anyway, so in that way I can definitely see where that hipster/college kid connotation comes from though.

I sound poor.

Everytime I go somewhere I don't wanna leave. I just went to Detroit and had a blast.........DETROIT!

What if you're actually broke and want to travel though? A friend recommended that I go backpacking and hosteling on the cheap, and i'm seriously considering it. I kind of like the idea of roughing it anyway, so in that way I can definitely see where that hipster/college kid connotation comes from though.

I sound poor.
God gave us 2 kidneys for a reason.

What if you're actually broke and want to travel though? A friend recommended that I go backpacking and hosteling on the cheap, and i'm seriously considering it. I kind of like the idea of roughing it anyway. I sound poor.

Why not try and gather up the funds first then? It is not prudent to do something when you cant really afford it in the first place.

To me backpacking and hosteling is almost like an extreme survival adventure. It should be about seeing how far you can travel and how long you can last. Almost like Marco Polo or something. If you do it for that, then sure go do it. I may want to try something like that.

But if you specifically want to see a places, why rough it out?

It's gets old when you've seen most the word offers again and again. There are some places I enjoy and love going back. To

Why not try and gather up the funds first then? It is not prudent to do something when you cant really afford it in the first place.

To me backpacking and hosteling is almost like an extreme survival adventure. It should be about seeing how far you can travel and how long you can last. Almost like Marco Polo or something. If you do it for that, then sure go do it. I may want to try something like that.

But if you specifically want to see a places, why rough it out?

To be an adventurous badass bro. Also you know you'd leave with some stories to tell, as opposed to just doing everything by the books. I understand where you're coming from though. If I really wanted to see a place like Europe with all it's museums and landmarks, I'd definitely want to go there well funded and comfortable and not feeling like some transient hobo.

To be an adventurous badass bro. Also you know you'd leave with some stories to tell, as opposed to just doing everything by the books. I understand where you're coming from though. If I really wanted to see a place like Europe with all it's museums and landmarks, I'd definitely want to go there well funded and comfortable.

But if you are doing it in the safety of western society, then seems a little pretentious. If you pull a pre-revolutionary Che Guevara, then that is something.

Yet, most college kids I hear are backpacking to like Milan, Madrid, Vienna, Stockholm. I mean geez come on. Go join the infantry or something.

The atmosphere in backpacking hostels is usually a lot more fun and a lot more social than standard hotels. You meet a lot more like minded people and there's always things going on and nights out, there's always someone who knows where to get weed etc. Good places to meet girls too.

I went travelling for over 2 years and stayed almost exclusively in backpacker hostels and had the time of my life. I'm still friends with some of the people I met in these places 10 years later and went to one of their weddings a few weeks ago.

If you think traveling sucks, you're doing it wrong.

I travel a lot.. love seeing new places and seeing how people from different places live. I have 2 more places that I really want to see then i will probably be done...

Back