Traveling is Overrated

Anyone else think traveling is overrated? It seems most people around my age or younger are big on traveling. Every other person I’ve met has backpacked around Europe or some shit. And they think they’re enlightened and worldly because they posed on top of the great wall or some shit. Every other chick has dreams of traveling the world. I told one of my friends I’m not a fan of traveling and he couldn’t believe it.

I mean looking at cool shit and taking pics at new places is fun and all but I’m left asking, what do I really get out of all of this other than bragging rights and likes on facebook? I feel like if I travel, it would be to stay at one place for a few months and to get to know the culture and the people as much as I can. For most people I know traveling seems to be a series of taking pics of one famous place and moving on to the next one. The long waits the airport, and sitting on a plane/train/bus for hours, hauling your luggage around, going through customs, etc., don’t seem worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, if it was paid for and I was granted time off work (like an overseas business trip), I would jump at the opportunity, but using my own money and time doesn’t seem to have a very favorable cost-benefit ratio.

The last time I went “traveling” was going to a beach several hours away from where I live with my friends. The fun of it was getting to hang out with my friends really, not that we were in a different place.

Cliffs: Traveling is meh

You're a travel snob. Hating on other people's idea of travel saying its meh and then suggesting you'd rather just go to one place for a month. So why don't you just do that and say traveling is awesome?

Back