Traveling is Overrated

I feel ya, bro. Nothing better than your own backyard.

Sex is just expelling your fluids into another's person body

There's some stuff to do here. Where all did you go?
DIA was awesome.....worth the trip alone.....stayed at the Greektown......nice place.......spent a few days at Belle isle.......did all the things there.......watched a tigers game at the Atwater with a bunch of locals....great times

I feel ya, bro. Nothing better than your own backyard.
I don’t know about that though. I don’t care for the process of traveling but if you magically placed me in Madrid or Vietnam or something, I would probably enjoy myself as much as I could. I don’t really have a place I call “home” because I moved around so much in my life and this is the first time I’ve ever stayed in one place for more than five years. Rather than traveling, I would rather move to a new place and stay there for a while.
Sex is just expelling your fluids into another's person body
I don't know about you, but there's more than that involved when I have sex.

It's dope and you can learn a lot. Aside from growing in a social sense there is a lot of natural beauty and outdoor activities to be explored diving, boating, hiking, mountain climbing, surfing, wildlife watching, foraging, and on and on. There are a lot of amazing historical places to visit. You could go to sites of the Silk Road, sites of the French Revolution, sites of WW2, The Amazon, Buddhist Temples. Haven't you ever had any interest in literature, film, art, history, or current events? You'd be surprised how much a trip to these places you've read and heard about can put into context for you. It's not always positive, you can see a lot of shitty things and meet some not so nice people. I believe overall it helps to develop an expansive mind and is positive. As long as you don't bite the big one!

"I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill! "

I do have to agree with the annoying people who come back from "travelling" I used meet in the 90s in the UK with their tie-dyed t-shirts, white dreadlocks and loon-pants. Especially when their deeply cultural travel experience involved them following about 50,000 other western college students around the same path through Thailand and "appreciating the local culture" entailed setting a massive sound system on the local's beach and necking Es to psy-trance until 10am. Great fun I'm sure but don't pretend it's anything other than a prolonged holiday in cheap accomodation.

I can actually understand where the OP is coming from.

I spent two months down in Guatemala. I heard from a lot of other travelers how "amazing" this experience was but honestly after about two weeks I was ready to come back home.

Nothing wrong with just appreciating being home. It's called home for a reason.

Backpacking and staying in hostels definitely is. The college kids think it is cool, and a great life experience or a lifestyle.

I like to travel, but I do so in comfort. And I enjoy it for what it is. I dont make it out into a lifestyle, or think it makes me a better person. Those people are like the hipsters of vacation.

And then there are those college kids that take those transfer semester and go to some European place, then come back and they think they all that, and worldly, and better than everyone else. Those people are so annoying.

Travelling is essential IMO ; but I kind of get what the OP means. Most people I see travelling are groups of tourists waking around in groups with selfie sticks. Sure it's interesting, but it is a pretty weak experience IMO.

In my experience, these form of tourism are really beneficial and changed me for the better :
- going in another country with a friend originally from that country and being taken care of in their family
- going alone in another country to learn a language
- going alone from hostels to hostels : you will meet some pretty interesting people
- and most of all : I completely disagree with you on the semester exchange thing : I did it when I was in college and it totally changed me for the better. You get out of your environment and meet new people from different cultures. Come back home after 6 months and find everything the same, while you have evolved a great deal. I actually believe that this exchange semester might have been the single most important turning point in my life.

To conclude, I think that there is nothing like going far away from home, outside of your comfort zone and meeting new people. Even if you end up in the biggest shithole, if you are surrounded by awesome new friends, the memories of these moments will remain vivid for a long time, while you won't remember shit of organised visit with y selfie stick.

Just my personal experience though.

I disagree, but I kind of get where you're coming from. In that, some people post pictures of them on their travels all over social media and make their life look like a travel brochure with *random motivational quote* caption attached here. I think that shit is pretty cheesy. But actually leaving somewhere, getting out of your comfort zone and seeing new sights. There's no experience that really tops that.

Damn, you condensed in 3 lines my thoughts on the matter.

You Sir, are a great mind.

I have traveled around every continent except South America (it's on my list). I love dining in a far away country, just observing the people around me, the architecture, the smell.

I'm more interested in the cuisine and culture than monuments.

This looks like one of those threads where people have the opportunity to sound poor

You sound poor, TS

it's usually not worth the money
Then what is worth the money?

What if all your bills are paid, you have a nice car, live comfortably, and the AMEX gold points are piling up.

What will you do with all those points?

What will you do during the 2-3 weeks of vacation you have from work?

Travelling is essential IMO ; but I kind of get what the OP means. Most people I see travelling are groups of tourists waking around in groups with selfie sticks. Sure it's interesting, but it is a pretty weak experience IMO.

In my experience, these form of tourism are really beneficial and changed me for the better :
- going in another country with a friend originally from that country and being taken care of in their family
- going alone in another country to learn a language
- going alone from hostels to hostels : you will meet some pretty interesting people
- and most of all : I completely disagree with you on the semester exchange thing : I did it when I was in college and it totally changed me for the better. You get out of your environment and meet new people from different cultures. Come back home after 6 months and find everything the same, while you have evolved a great deal. I actually believe that this exchange semester might have been the single most important turning point in my life.

To conclude, I think that there is nothing like going far away from home, outside of your comfort zone and meeting new people. Even if you end up in the biggest shithole, if you are surrounded by awesome new friends, the memories of these moments will remain vivid for a long time, while you won't remember shit of organised visit with y selfie stick.

Just my personal experience though.
So you're saying that once you left the country for 6 months you realized how uncivilized Americans are and how much our food sucks, relatively speaking.

I know what you mean.

Back