Training log for 2006

Monday 20th Feb 2006

BJJ class

Class was taught by Victor Estima, a brown belt and younger brother of Braulio Estima. He showed us a few differrent escapes from mount and how to link them together. rolled at the end

Tuesday 21st Feb 2006

Conditioning - circuits

crossfit style warm up
warrior stretch 20 seconds each side
push upsx11
sandbag rows x11
squatsx11
situpsx11

repeated for 3 rounds

complex A with 32kg sandbag
10 knee hugs
10 rotational lunges with 7kg medicine ball
10 explosive bench press with 7kg medicine ball
10 swings with 10kg kettlebell (home made)

repeated for 3 rounds with no rest between exercises and 1:2 work:rest between circuits
time for rounds:
4:11.3
4:00.8
4:48.0

12th March 2006

still been training but not keeping up with my log

BJJ class

Every other sunday class is now taught byLucio "Lagarto" Rodrigues very cool guy and a good teacher. He was here again today.

Class covered a couple of escapes from mount, going over bridging and rolling attacking the guys arm if he posted or shrimping to butterfly guard. We then covered the basic butterfly guard sweep and taking his back is he tried to defend by coming under your under hook. Did some positional sparring from butterlfy guard. Lagarto then split the class in half into teams and then had one pair at a time rolling in the middle, winner stays on.

Wednesday 15th March 2006

weights
Sandbag power clean
32kgx8
32kgx6
32kgx4

Sandbag front squat
32kgx8
32kgx6
32kgx4

Sandbag push press
32kgx8
32kgx6
32kgx4

Conditioning-circuits

10 knee hugs with 7kg medicine ball
20 bandpull downs (exercise from intocombats said dvd)
15 swings with 10kg kettlebell (home made)

for 3 rounds, no rest between exercises 5 minutes between rounds

missed a workout early this week due to work so combinde a weights workout with a conditioning one.

sunday 19th March 2006

BJJ class
Sparred pretty much the entire class with break to tweak thigns that we were doing wrong while rolling. Started with slow rolling, moving on to different specific positional stuff then full rolling at the end.

training has been very hit and mess this wee (ment to try a judo class on thrusday) as I've been having stomach troubles (I'll leave it at that :) )

Tuesday 21st March

Weights

Powerclean+front squat+push press
34kgx8+8+8
34kgx6+6+6
34kgx4+4+4

pushed for time so super(tri?)setted the three exercises. 2 minutes inbetween.

Wednesday 22nd March

Circuits
20 bandpull downs
15 swings with 10kg kettlebell

Two rounds, 1:2 work:rest
4 minutes 36
4 minutes 11

Friday 24nd March

Circuits
20 bandpull downs
15 swings with 10kg kettlebell

Two rounds, 1:2 work:rest
4 minutes 20
4 minutes 29

Sunday 26th March

BJJ class
Lagarto was back teaching

Started off in reverse scarf hold, if they push on your face control the arm and step over their head and work for a kimura. Lead on to a nice choke to armbar if the defended by grabbing their belt.
Went on to rolling, started with just passing the guard and then three rolling. At the end of class Lagarto awarded stripes to a few people and some blue belts, including one to me :)

Monday 27th March 2006

BJJ class

worked on spider guard, foot in each bicep. Worked on rolling on to one hip and bringing your head close to your opponents body. Straighten out your same side leg to push his arm back. FRom here you could swing your other leg other to armbar them. If they ducked their head to defend, straighten back up and switch to a triangle.

30 minutes rolling at the end.

Saturday 1st April

Bjj class
Got to gether with a few guys from class and drilled some stuff and then rolled. Good session, should be fairly regulary hopefully.

Sunday 16th April

Went through the warm up routine from Steve Maxwell's Strength & Conditioning for Grapplers DVD I picked up recently, Basically just joint rotation drills/stretching using a weight plate as resistance/assistance.

Sling shot: 10 clockwise 10 anti clockwise
Around the head plate circles: 10 clockwise 10 anti clockwise
Figure eights: 10 clockwise 10 anti clockwise
Overhead hip circles: 10 clockwise 10 anti clockwise
Good mornings: 10
Boot strappers:10
Toe touch squats: 10
rotating deadlifts: 10 each side

I have decided to concentrate on BW movements for awhile to change things upa bit. As I have been training erractically at best at the moment I went through a nice easy workout

Push ups: 2 sets of 10
Squats: 2 sets of 15
Dumbell rows: 2 sets 18kgx10+10 (dont have any where to do chin ups at home atm)
Neck isometrics: 15 seconds in each direction.
Superman: 2 holds of 15 seconds each
lying knee to chest: 2 sets of 10

0ne minute between all sets

finished with Bas' boxing tapes: 3x2 minute roads

not a bad workout, has a sweat going after the boxing at the end. BW stuff was nice and easy, I have decided to do them for a while before moving back to my sandbag/dumbells. Going to see if the old bank account will stretch to a pull up bar.

Monday 17th April

Boot strappers:10
Toe touch squats: 10

Bas Rutten boxing tape
4x2minute rounds

Wednesday 19th April

BJJ class

Started the class with slow rolling and then on to clinch work standing up. Did a few drills to ge the body warmed up (like the stuff here ). Then did some winner stays on wrestling.

Moved on to techs covering a few take downs starting from neck and elbow tie up. Rolled at the end for about 45 minutes.

Thursday 20th April

Conditioning

Push ups: 2 sets of 10
Squats: 2 sets of 15
Dumbell rows: 2 sets 18kgx11+11
Neck isometrics: 15 seconds in each direction.
Superman: 2 holds of 15 seconds each
lying knee to chest: 2 sets of 10

One minute between all sets

finished with Bas' boxing tapes: 5x2 minute roads

Tuesday 25th April

Conditioning

Bas' boxing tapes: 6x2 minute roads

Thursday 27th April

Kickboxing

Went to a beginners class at a near by school with a friend thats been wanting to train for a while. Will probably keep going to a class fairly regularly for awhile.

Skipped to warm up and then did a circuit of two minute rounds of heavy bag(x2 stations), maze bag, thai pads (holding and hitting), light sparing with the instructor and push ups/sit ups. Then drilled some round houses and combo's on the thai pads.

Monday 1st May

BJJ class

Warmed up with some tag and then clinch work

Worked on a few subs to use instead of an armbar from side control or technical mount. From side control with a kimura grip on the near side arm we would go to north south and then round to the oppsite side and sit out in reverse side with our hips off the floor. similar to how you would do it for a clock choke. From here your body weight applies pressure downwards on their upper armand you can psuh their wrist up to apply the arm bar.

From technical mount the leg accross their body goes behind their head trapping their wrist behind your knee. From here fall back for a bicep crush or armbar if their arm pops out.

rolled for about 30 minutes at the end.

2nd May

Kick boxing

My friend picked up some focus bags and gloves so they can train at home. Seems like a good chance for some free training for me.

3x 2 minute rounds of skiping

worked double jab, cross, hook, cross, right round house.
started with 10 jabs, then 10 double jabs, then 10 double jabs and a cross, etc until we got to the full combo.

worked jab, left hook, right upper cut, left hook, cross, right round house.
started with 10 jabs, then 10 jab and a left hook, etc until we got to the full combo.

6x 2 minute rounds of Bas's boxing tape

15 squats - 10 lying leg raises - 5 push ups
12 squats - 8 lying leg raises - 4 push ups
down to to
3 squats - 2 lying leg raises - 1 push ups

stretched at the end.

Must update my log more!

21st My 2006

Bas Ruttens bxing tapes
10x 2 minute rounds

Back