Training log for 2006

blandy

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
After a lovely break over christmas :) training started up again this week. A little background, I have been training BJJ for close to two years now, I do my conditioning at home due to cost. I currently have a sandbag, a few medicine balls, dumbells, skipping rope and just picked up a second hand rower between me and my girlfriend from ebay. There is also a park near by for out door training.

I competed for the first towards the end of last year ina sub wrestling comp and took third in my weight class. My imediate training goals are preparing for a couple of competitions, Urban Gorillaz Grappling Challenge Northern Open on March12th and The Gracie Invitational on May6th

I plan to start adding some judo/wrestling sessions to my trainig as well however that depends on money and if I can find a new job. As for my conditioning I really want to concentrate on leaning up a bit, together with improving my "mat cardio". Combining this with having good "mat strength" and not having a lot of weight to use I am going to concentrate mainly on condition at the expense of max effort lifting. A couple of ideas I want to use are Alwyn Cosgrove's Metabolic Power Training for MMA, Crossfit, Tabata intervals and some of the stuff I've got from Intocomcat's newsletter

Tuesday 3rd January

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
warrior stretch 20 seconds each side
push upsx10
sandbag rows x10
squatsx10
situpsx10

repeated for 2 rounds

Complex training

Deadlift x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
Power Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Push Press x6

with a 32kg sandbag, repeated for 2 rounds

rowing machine - 10 minutes
want to get some LSD style training in before I start doing intervals

messed around with some medicine ball ab work for a bit at the end

Wednesday 4th Jan

BJJ class

Started the class off with a jog round to warm up a bit, then into some slow rolling then back to some ab work. Did some neck clinch work before moving on to getting double underhooks and tripping for the take down. Free rolling at the end of class, finaly managed to submit some one with an omoplatta, rather than them rolling out of it and it working as a sweep. I've been trying for this sub quite a lot in recent classes so pleased with this.

6th January

Conidtioning

20 minutes on a rowing machine

nothing fancy just getting some exercise in between shifts at work. Tried doing a few sprints to see what this cheapo rowing machine will be like for interval training, not pretty but think I should be able to manage

Sunday 8thJanuary

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
push upsx10
sandbag rows x10
squatsx10
situpsx10

repeated for 2 rounds

Complex training

Deadlift x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
Power Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Push Press x6

with a 32kg sandbag, repeated for 2 rounds

rowing machine - 10 minutes

the complex training felt a lot easier today, will bump it up to 3 rounds next week.

Start a new job tomorrow :) should be able to add an extra class after I get payed for the first time at the end of the month.

Monday 9th January

BJJ class

went through a RNC for some of the newer students and how to escape, roll to side their choking arm is pointing, one hand defends sub other pulls off one of their hooks, turn and escape to side control/top hlaf guard/in their guard. Rolled for about 20 minutes at the end.

Tuesday 10th January

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
push upsx10
sandbag rows x10
squatsx10
situpsx10

repeated for 3 rounds

Complex training

Deadlift x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
Power Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Push Press x6

with a 32kg sandbag, repeated for 3 rounds

messed about with some medicine ball ab work at the end

wednesday 11th January

BJJ class

nice bit of slow easy rolling to warmup, then on the running round the mat droping down to our hands and knees for a bit. Covered the mechanics of a kneebar from stepping over froma open guard. Then did three rounds of 15 thai kicks each leg, 15 kness eachside, 15 elbows each side, 10 straight punchs, fall back to "guard" and 10 straight punchs up, then sweep your pad holder so you mounted and 10 straight punches down. Rest between rounds was until the last guy ahd finished then straight into the next round. Swapped over and held the pad for my partner. Then covered the mechanics of a heel hook before 15 minutes free rolling at the end.

Monday 16th January

BJJ class

worked on take downs, a trip, hip toss and belly to belly suplex. Sparred standing for 20 minutes at the end. Just wrestling basically, no ground work.

Tuesday 17th January

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
push upsx10
sandbag rows x10
squatsx10
situpsx10

repeated for 3 rounds

Complex training

Deadlift x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
Power Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Push Press x6

with a 32kg sandbag, repeated for 3 rounds. 1 minute 30 between rounds

10 rotational lunges with 7kg medicine ball
10knee hugs
10 explosive bench press with 7kg medicine ball ( layed on back and throw ball 6-8 feet in the air)

1 minute between these exercises

Tuesday 31st January

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
push upsx10
sandbag rows x10
squatsx10
situpsx10

repeated for 3 rounds

For the main part of the workout I used some thing based on intocombats SAID circuit training dvd's

For the purpose of the res of my log I'll define the following
Deadlift x 6
Romanian Deadlift x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
Power Clean x 6
Front Squat x 6
Push Press x6

as complex A

complex A with 32kg sandbag
10 knee hugs
10 explosive bench press with 7kg medicine ball

repeated for 3 rounds with 1 minute between exercises and 3 minutes between circuits

monday 7th Febuary

BJJ class - Gi

well at least it would have been if I was at class last week and knew about it :) so no gi for me

sparred for pretty much the entire 1 and a 1/2 hours of class. Mixed up some slow rolling from the knees, "tig", clich, take downs and then some normal rolling from the knees at the end and conditioning work thrown in as we went along. Nice hard session.

Tuesday 7th Feb

Conditioning

crossfit style warm up
push upsx11
sandbag rows x11
squatsx11
situpsx11

repeated for 3 rounds

10 knee hugs
10 swings with 10kg kettlebell (home made)

repeated for 3 rounds with 45 seconds between exercises and 4 minutes between circuits

Wednesday 8th Feb 2006

No gi BJJ class

warmed up with a few laps round the mat and a 100 or so jumping jacks. Class split in half, one group played "tig" (not sure if I have explain this before but basically you try to touch or "tig" each otheres knees, then hips, then shoulders then all of the combind. nice way to get some stand up practice) the other group had a 5 or so heavey bags laid down that they had to bunny hop over (from the team quest workout video I believe) we swaped over a few times and was pretty knackered after this
Drilled basic armbar from the guard,picked up a little tip that I hadn't really noticed before were you push your knees towards the arm that is trapped and your hips scoot away making it easier to slide yor leg high on hsi back. Moved on to if your opponent defended with his head, you can triangle your legs over his shoulders in what I have heard called the pitstop positiona dn squeeze your knees and still extend the arm for the tap. You can also twist his arm in a kimura style submision.
Rolled for about 30-40 minutes at the end.

Thursday 9th Feb 2006

Interval training

used rowing machine
5 minutes easy
5 minutes fairly hard
5 minutes easy
5 x 60 seconds very hard + 60 seconds easy

Saturday 11th Feb

Conditioning - circuits

crossfit style warm up
push upsx11
sandbag rows x11
squatsx11
situpsx11

repeated for 3 rounds

10 knee hugs
10 swings with 10kg kettlebell (home made)

repeated for 3 rounds with 45 seconds between exercises and 4 minutes between circuits

Sunday 12th Feb

BJJ Class - no g

Con tinued working on moves leading on from the armbar from the guard, covering swweps if he stacks you and switching to a triangle if he pulls his arm out.
Rolled for about 40 minutes at the end.

Hopefully soon, its all about the money though.
any way need to catch up on my log

Wednesday 15th Feb

BJJ class

did a couple of bicep crushs from guard, one a similar motion to a armbar after you push his wrist down to your waist and pull his elbow up the other one you over hooked his arm with your leg then allowed him to pash your guard to side control. Covered a calf crush from when your opponent is turtled.

rolled at the end for about 40 minutes

Sunday 19th Feb

BJJ class

nice easy lesson because some people were off to Royce seminar on the afternoon. Drilled all the moves we had been doing recently and any thing else we wanted to practice. Nice easy rolling at the end.

Back