Training log for 2006

Wednesday 11th October

7am - 20 minute run

7pm-ish

messed about with my sandbag and dumbells for a bit, going to try and figure out if I can do some sort of heavy-ish lifting at home with limited equipment. Finshed with some tabata punch out drills.

Friday 15th October

No gi class

Started with sparring, winner stays on. Some people were sparring stand up striking with takedowns later in the class so rolled with an inexperienced guy so helped him with some basics. Nice to do as it give me a chance to focus on the fundamentals which I think has been a bit of problem since my big training break this summer.

Wednesday 18th October

7am - 20 minute run

6.30 Gi BJJ Class

warmed up with 3 rounds of

25 Burpees
10 pull ups
10 press ups
40 sit ups
8 sprints of the length of the mat

Started with the basic armbar from mount where your opponent gives you both their arms. You choose which arm you are going to go for, press down on their chest, hop to your feet and swing your leg over to take the arm.

Its a nice drill for developing movement but you any aren't going to catch it as a submission on many people for we moved on to the Armbar from S-Mount. After this our instructor showed a second armbar from s-mount. Instead of falling back for the arm you go forwards.

From this position
270558476_52e84d29c7.jpg

Your right knee slide down to the floor as you put you weight, your left shin goes across the back of their neck. This position is similar as if you were trying to use the armbar to turn your oopponent over if they were turtled.

rolled for 2 or 3 5minute rounds at the end.

Friday 20th October

6.30 No Gi BJJ Class

warmed up with 3 rounds of

25 Burpees
15 flying armsbars
10 press ups
40 sit ups
8 sprints of the length of the mat

Started with the basic Forced triangle. A slight difference to the technique linked was my instructor said to keep control of their head to stop them posturing rather than their wrist.

Moved on to reverse triangle.
  • Left arm overhooks their right arm, right hand controls their left wrist.
  • Left foot goes on ground and shrimps away
  • Right foot goes on their hip to maintain distance
  • Pivot round to your left so that your left foot is in front of their left shoulder
  • Bring your right leg through (similar to Showstring triangle
  • Triangle legs for reverse triangle

Next covered an armbar, this was similar to the second arm bar we covered from s-mount on wednesday.
  • Pivot round to your left
  • base on the flor with your right hand and begin to turn belly down so your left shin rests on the back of their neck
  • On all fours, straighten hips to apply armbar

Finally covered a himp bump sweep from the over hook position

• Pivot round to your left
  • Same mechanics as normal hip bump post on right hand and drive with left foot

rolled 3x5 minute rounds at the end. Got dominated by a purple belt pro fighter, worked with a newbie a bit and caught another guy with a triangle from mount after using the triangle twist

Hmmm didn't I use to keep a log here or some thing ? :)

any way been busy recently, thankfully quite a lot of that has been training.

Thursday 16th November

sparring class

not a lot of people down so grabbed on of the white belts and worked on my escapes, starting pretty much every roll with him in the superior position of his choice. Drilled a few things I wanted to work on, including some take downs. Went through a few things that he had been haivng problems with.

Friday 17th November

No gi class

started with 3 rounds of

1 minute - boxing on focus mitts
1 minute - GNP on heavy bag on floor
1 minute - sumo deadlift high pulls
1 minute - round house kicks to heavy bags
1 minute - knees to trainer with thai pads and belly pad

1 minute rest between each round, was dying after doing this. Worked on a few no gi triangle set ups

1. Forced Triangle
2. Reverse Triangle to arm crush to triangle. Basically the same set up show by aesopian in his Lazy London and the Gi-dependant Rubber Guard tutorial

From this position
245920699_3cf7529542.jpg

lock in the reverse traingle

under hook his right arm with your left arm and pin his elbow to your chest. Pin his wrist between your neck and shoulder. Sit up to apply pressure, position should be similar to this
1601.jpg

from here they can defend by twisting their thumb upwards relieve pressure, this actually makes it easier to pass their arm across so you can switch to a regualr triangle.

Wednesday 22 November

Sparring class

rolled for entire class, 6 minute rounds, started some from the feet. Over all went pretty well, still have a real weaknesss on my feet though definatly some thing I need to work on.

Thursday 23rd November

Sparring class

Every one was really sore from the previous days class so had a few nice easy slow rolls, stopping often if we came across a particular problem.

Friday 24th November

No Gi BJJ

Worked on the same triangle as on the 17th, all so covered switching to the Oma. Rolled for a couple of rounds at the end.

Sunday 26th November

Urban Gorillaz Northern Open Gi Tournament

First competition since getting my blue belt, competed in the Super Super heavyweight class. Lost my first match against the eventual winner, neither of us was doing much on our feet but he took me down eventually and got mount in a scramble, I upa'ed to escape. Had trouble opening his guard and he swept me, upa'ed from mount straight away. Had trouble in his guard again and he got a triangle on me. He was having trouble finished so he tried to do an arm crush on my trapped arm which I defended, managed to loosen the triangle a bit by driving his knee to the floor, has having trouble getting my other arm back in so tried to switch to to passing his guard. got the timing completly wrong and just gave him the chance to tighten up his triangle and had to tap.

SSH is a pretty small divsion, only four of us at this one so had a second match for the bronze medal. Second match started pretty similar but managed to get 1/2 guard as I was taken down. Swept him straight away and passed to mount. Controlled position and then worked for a keylock to win by submission.

Overall was a pretty good day, not particular happy with my performance stand up in particular is still a big problem for me and not happy with my guard passing (a former strong point in my game). Still can't complain too much with a bronze and got another competition in jan that I hope the guy I lost to might be at.

Tuesday 28th November

Bas Rutten boxing tape

6x2 minute rounds

Wednesday 29th November

Gi BJJ class

started with 15 minutes of rounds of
15 squats
10 pull ups
10 press ups

In the tech part of the class we covered
Scissor Sweep
Cross choke from mount
Armbar from mount

rolled 3-4 6 minute rounds at the end

Sunday 31st December.

Hmm as per normal been pretty sloppy with my log keeping but I have still been training. Decided to log my last workout of the year before starting a new one

Sand complex

6x Bentover row
6x power clean
6x Push press
6x Bentover row
6x power clean
6x Push press
6x Zerccher squats

30kg sandbag, 1:1 work:rest

Back