Training Log 2013

I would run it for DL bar a few factors: 1, hexagonal plates; 2, I want to focus on form; 3, difficult to recover from AMRAPs given my workload and desire to focus on the Squat.

I used APRE for DL for a short period, and got some initially good results. I think my 3RM went up maybe 10kg in a short period of time, and started looking pretty high compared to my previous 1RM. And this was at a time I hadn't been training as consistently and my squat was down, which would suggest that my true 1RM at the time might have been a bit lower. But then I had two back injuries in very close succession and I got a bit freaked out about doing AMRAP sets for deadlift and squat.

I am almost tempted to try it again, now that I am flexible/mobile enough to pull with a flat or even slightly arched back.

No worries Jaunty, no offense taken. I've added 5 lb to my bench in the last two years so straggler is putting it nicely! Though according to Keosawa if I focus on my bench I could add 50 lb to it by June so who knows?

I can see APRE not really working well for deadlifts because of the higher reps. Personally I've had my most success with singles and I think as long as your squat is progressing you don't have to go crazy with your deadlifts.

No worries Jaunty, no offense taken. I've added 5 lb to my bench in the last two years so straggler is putting it nicely! Though according to Keosawa if I focus on my bench I could add 50 lb to it by June so who knows?

I had a similar experience, but not for quite as long- I went about 7 months or so and added maybe a couple of kilos. Once I started doing T3 and lying tricep extensions then unspectacular but steady progress began. It was slow by most people's standards, but there was quite a nice progression where my 3RM steadily inched up. When it went past 91kg I started to think that I might end up going all the way to 100 and taking the race there and then... now, more than one year later...

Re: deadlifts, I guess it is different strokes for different folks. Some people do like AMRAP sets- look at all of the people doing 5/3/1. I guess I actually have had my best results doing 5/3/1, when I was doing T3. I never went really heavy with it because my re-set was pretty deep and I didn't run it quite long enough, but I did work on speed, and ended up pulling a huge PR, like +25kg or something like that.

Have your "kick-boxing posture" and general kick-boxing mechanics changed as well, as a consequence of your posture improvement? How do you feel it has affected your kick-boxing, if at all?
Hmm. This is a difficult question to answer. (I assume it might be of some academic interest for you, so I'll try my best). I probably need to explain something about my training itself.

After my last amateur bout I was invited to train with the "fighters" team at my gym, 2-3 hrs per night Monday to Friday. That means I spend a lot of time working intensively with the coach. He's from Yugoslavia, and trained with the national boxing and kickboxing teams there. I've since learned from Sinister and Marcos Avellan (in the Stand-up forum) that the Eastern Bloc inherited their style of fighting/coaching from the Cuban's. Their teaching style involves a lot of shadow-boxing, drilling and heavy bag work under constant instruction.

Because my stance/guard/fundamentals require/d tweaking, that meant a lot of my training involved holding new positions for long periods of time, ingraining them and so forth. Because I was working on the basics, I was merely holding and executing positions for extended periods of time (rather than punching, etc). In particular, I had to change the angle of my upper body, the engagement of my core, the rotation of my feet/knees. Although I can't really describe it properly, I am also required to almost constantly adduct (?) my legs (as in push them inwardly in opposing directions) to create better grip with the ground, therefore increasing the power derived through rotation and the speed of my footwork.

Throughout this, my middle back always felt fatigued and as if my head/neck was pulling on my middle spine area. One day I woke up really sore (barely able to walk) and I went to the physio. She told me that I had developed significant thoracic spine tension and that my lower traps were inactive. She prescribed a number of exercises and foam rolling to fix this. In follow up sessions we started working on my sway back posture: internally rotated humerii and pelvic tilt.

Since rectifying these problems, foam rolling in the morning or at night (after training), as well as continuing to work on my postural issues, I've found myself able to hold the positions my coach requires without any pain, fatigue or discomfort.

So, long story short, improving my posture undoubtedly improved both my kickboxing posture (because I can actually hold the positions!). It also improved my mechanics in that I can practice the correct techniques for longer durations now.

5/01, 2012:

Strength

Really shitty session. I just couldn't concentrate. Halfway through my first APRE set of Squats I caught myself thinking about completely different irrelevant things, not on breathing and keeping tight. Next thing I knew I had stopped and re-racked despite having more reps in me. I didn't do any back-off sets to save something for deadlifts.

Courtesy of the chuckle-heads and the conversation about the bench race above, I decided to bench over push press today. Now I wish I didn't because it felt really wrong in my shoulder for some reason. No pain, just weird. Shitty technique. Felt like I was going to injure myself. Consequently I bailed on my first APRE set and stopped benching. Lol.

Squat
20 x 10
40 x 6
65 x 3
75 x 1
90 x 1
97.5 x 5 (-1 rep = same)
97.5 x 5 (-1 rep = same next time)

Bench Press
20 x 10
40 x 5
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 6 (+0 = same weight next time)

Deadlift
60 x 5
80 x 3
100 x 1
120 x 1
130 x 1
140 x 1
150 x 1

Weighted Chin-Up
BW x 5
+10 x 5
+17.5 x 5, 3 sets. (+2.5kg next time)

Facepull
45 x 20, 20, 10

Notes:
Deadlift and Chin-ups were okay, despite the horsefuck of the first two lifts.

6/01, 2013:

Conditioning

25 minutes @ avg. HR 159

I ran a 5k track during which time I used the exercise stations scattered throughout.

Chin-ups x 10
Push-Ups x 20
Sit-ups x 25
Push-ups x 10
Inverted Rows x 15

Given those exercises I am pretty happy with my 5k time, actually. Probably took 2.5-3 minutes off my time, and I didn't even push the running.

7/1, 2012:

Strength

Light lifting session.

Warm-Up: Cycling, foam rolling, mobility.

Squat
20 x 5
40 x 5
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5, 3 sets.

Push Press
20 x 10
30 x 5
40 x 3
52.5 x 8 (+2 reps = +2.5kg)
55 x 7 (+1 rep = same weight next time) (counting this as a PR at my current BW)

DB Row
50lbs x 10
60lbs x 8, 3 sets.
70lbs x 8, 2 sets.

Notes:
Biggest problem with Push Press is breathing during higher rep sets. Still had 1-3 reps in me.

Some notes:

My "strength" block is coming to a close. I have one week to go. I might test 1 rep maxes during this time - hence the lighter session yesterday. I may treat Saturday as a one man PL "comp" with Push Press instead of Bench. Lol.

Obviously I haven't had enough time to make any real gains. But such is life. Fight training resumes next week. That, combined with my studies will mean I cannot make it to the gym for strength training during the week - leaving only Saturday for lifting. I'm going to start doing dumbbell workouts from home. I realise this is far less than optimal. But I have just read through Ross Enamait's stuff. I'm going to put something very basic together. DB Swings, Snatches, One Arm Presses, and DB Front Squats.

When training resumes I will conveniently have 9 weeks until my next fight - which will be a big step up in competition for me (no shin guards or head gear). As such I have used Joel Jamieson's template to create an 8 week training block. Joel's program is 8 weeks - the final being a deload. My only modification has been to stretch that out by one week. So I spread his 7 weeks work across 8, meaning slightly less volume, and made week 9 the deload.

I will copy paste the thing below in case anyone would like to peruse it. It will look messy as I will lose my word doc. formatting.

Basic Schedule:
My schedule will be training kickboxing Monday to Friday every night for 2-3 hours. Barbell Strength training on Saturday. And 2-3 mornings per week doing one of the other workouts listed. I precede those with prehab as a warm-up (foam rolling and some mobility exercises).

Here are the specific workouts - I've included brief descriptions of each modality:

8 Week Training Block

DB STR = Dumbbell workout.
HRI = High Resistance Intervals of 8-10 seconds (I chose hill sprints)
Explosive Repeat = selected exercises for given work/rest intervals, which increase/decrease over time.
Cardiac Power = max output for given work/time intervals.

Week 1.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + HRI: - Hill Sprints - 15-20 x 8-10sec Sprint, Rest til HR 120
3. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 8s/60s, 6-10 sets - Sq Jump / Exp Push-Up / MB Slams
Week 2.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + HRI
3. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 10s/40s, 6-10 sets
4. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 12s/30s, 6-10 sets
Week 3.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + HR
3. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 15s/25s, 6-10 sets
4. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 20s/20s, 6-10 sets
Week 4.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + HRI
3. Pre-Hab + Explosive Repeat: 30s/10s, 6-10 sets
Week 5.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + Cardiac Power: Burpees - 3 x 90-120sec rounds
3. Pre-Hab + Cardiac Power
Week 6.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + Cardiac Power
Week 7.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + DB STR + Cardiac Power
Week 8.
1. ME Strength
2. Pre-Hab + (Optional) Cardiac Power
3. Pre-Hab + (Optional) Cardiac Power

8/1, 2012:

Kickboxing - 1.5 hrs

Shadow and Padwork. Easy session.

9/1, 2012:

Strength

Very light session. I am saving myself to test my 1RMs in my 3 chosen lifts (SQ PP DL) this saturday. That gives me two days of rest after today. Incidentally, I hit some "PRs" in my assistance as a consequence. One PR was legit, the other I consider a PR as I haven't done anything like it since I was a lot heavier (10kg+)

Squat
20 x 10
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 3
70 x 3
80 x 3

Overhead Press
20 x 10
30 x 5
40 x 3
45 x 9 (PR @ current BW)
50 x 2

Chin-Up
BW x 5
+10 x 5
+20 x 5, 2 sets. (PR - albeit it an easy one. Probably good for a few more reps)

Notes:
Going to start aggressively pursuing my weighted chin-ups. I usually stop at the first sign that I am losing speed.

10/1, 2013:

Kickboxing - 2 hrs

Padwork. I was cracking my right hands today. Even hurt my ears.

Last edited:
Hit with strong bout of gastro. Completely owned for last two days. Getting better now. Hoping I can lift tomorrow.

14/1, 2013:

I was still feeling sick. Forced myself to do a lacklustre run - felt queasy - so aborted and did some cardio in the form of BW exercises. 6 rounds of Jump Squats x 12, Push-ups x 12 and Inverted Rows x 8. I really struggled. Lol.

15/1, 2013:

FINALLY feeling well enough to train and of course I have to WORK to earn money because I missed work whilst sick. By the time I finished I couldn't go to my regular gym, so I went to a random gym for which I had a free pass. Combo of sickness+recovering from severe dehydration+long shift+unfamiliar equipment meant I was prime for testing 1RMs. Which I did. Lol.

Strength

Warm-Up: Foam rolling, mobility, activation.

Push Press
20 x 10
40 x 3
50 x 3
60 x 1
65 x F
65 x F
62.5 x 1 (Current max)
65 x F

62.5 shot up...... 65 just stalled 3/4 of the way. WTF.

Deadlift
60 x 5
80 x 1
100 x 1
120 x 1
140 x 1
155 x 1 (Current max)

Chin-ups
BW x 10 x 3

KB Swings
20 x 12
16 x 12 x 2

Ab work: Russian twists, hanging knee raises, plank, side plank

Notes:

- Anything above current maxes posted today will count as a PR from now on - seeing as my BW is much lighter.
- 2 x BW deadlift.
- I was really squeezing my glutes during the swings. I want to be able to crack walnuts in those badboys.

16/1, 2013:

Proper fight training resumes tomorrow. My '8 weeks out' fight block begins as well. Kept things moderate and technical today.

Kickboxing - 10 x 3 minute rounds, 30 second breaks.

2 x skipping
2 x shadow boxing
6 x heavy bag, consisting of 1 round of the following:
- fluid combinations finishing with a low kick.
- front hand/long distance only.
- kicking only (combinations and more exotic kicks)
- clinch work (boxing)
- 2 rounds of everything combined

17/1, 2013:

Day 1 of fight prep. Funny - I found out today that a matchup isn't as definite as I was first told.
This was my first day using Joel Jamieson's aerobic explosive repeat and 8 week fight block.

AM Training: Conditioining

Aerobic Explosive Repeat

Warm-Up: Foam Rolling

Series 1: Jump Squats - 10s work / 60s rest - 10 sets.

Active Recovery: Single Leg Glute Bridges, External Rotations, Wall Slides, Chin Retractions.

Series 2: Explosive Push-ups - 8s work / 60s rest - 10 sets.

Notes:
Eventually I will work up to 30s work / 30s Rest. Scary.

-------------------------------------------

PM Training: Kickboxing - 2 hrs

My favourite kind of training: We spent time slowly working through some technical stepping and punching variations. First we punched with the same hand as we stepped, going backwards and forwards. Next we did opposite hand/foot. Eventually we layered various diagonal stepping and switch-hitting movements. Finally we spent quite a while playing with our own variations and slowly weaving these new things into our own combinations.

That kind of training encourages me to be really creative and discover new things on my own.

We finished with 6 rounds of heavy bag sprints. Usually 15 on 15 off. Some occasional 5s and 10s.That involves a lot of puking.

-------------------------------------------

Recovery: It is 42 degrees, so I went for a swim.

This was my first day using Joel Jamieson's aerobic explosive repeat and 8 week fight block.

What'd you think of explosive repeat? I've never used it, but always think about incorporating it.

18/1, 2013:

Kickboxing - 1.5 hrs

hard sparring.

Notes:
Friday is eat everything in sight day. Heavy sparring to be backed up with my only day of heavy lifting.

What'd you think of explosive repeat? I've never used it, but always think about incorporating it.
It's too early to tell how I feel about it. Yesterday's session was very easy. I only did half volume. He suggests 1-2 series per exercise-I chose to do just 1 due to time constraints.

30/30 sounds like it would be fucking difficult.

19/1, 2013:

Strength

Squat
20X8
40x5
60x3
70x3
80x3
90x3
100x3
80x3
70x3

Press
20x5
30x5
40x5
45x5 x 3

DB Row
24x10
28x8 x2

Some shrugs, facepulls, leg curls.

Couldn't lift properly today-bruised and sore from shin-guardless hard sparring.

Last edited:
21/1, 2013:

Kickboxing - 3 hrs

Shadow, Padwork, heavy bag, grappling, drills 45 minutes sparring.

Long training.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back