Training Log 2013

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is my new training log for the year 2013. This should be a good year for my athletic pursuits as I have a near perfect study/living situation at the moment.

My foremost goal is kickboxing performance. I have had 3 fights so far. I want to take as many fights as possible in 2013 and I want to see improvements every time, irrespective of result.

Schedule:

I train kickboxing (and boxing) Monday to Thursday for 3 hours per night. On Friday we only train for 1.5 hours for hard sparring. All of these classes are with the same "fight team". There are approximately 10 of us so we're a close-knit group, which makes things more enjoyable.

I try to do two strength sessions throughout the week - a heavy one on Saturday and a lighter/quicker one on Tuesday morning. How much I can push during these sessions is dependent on how banged up and fatigued I am. Therefore it is difficult for me to make consistent gains. I have also lost 10kgs since making all of my PRs, and hence it will be extremely difficult for me to set new PRs throughout the year as I try to stay in so-called "fighting shape".

If I have time and energy during the week I have a few "bonus" work-outs I can turn to. These include medicine ball throws, jumps, and ab work (such as roll-outs). If I am feeling really good I may even use one of my "tests", which I do a few times per year, more for fun than anything. They are: The 50 Burpee Challenge, 5k Run, and Standing Broad Jump. I only did these 2-3 times in 2012, but saw improvements every time.

So without further ado, my Strength and Conditioning goals for this year include:

Maintaining my usual bodyweight of 77-78kg approx. 8% BF.

Squat - BW x 1.75 (130kg)
Push Press - BW x 1 (75kg)
Deadlift - BW x 2.25 (170kg)

PRs: (set mostly in 2011)

Squat - 120 x 5
Deadlift - 170 x 1, 140 x 10
Bench - 95 x 1, 85 x 5
Push Press - 70 x 1

50 Burpee Challenge: 2.32 (Oct. 2012)
5k Run: 20:57 (Nov. 2012)
Broad Jump: 2.6m

Diet:
I try to eat cleanly. Planned diet is as follows:

Breakfast: Omelette with Bacon (or) Oats with Whey Powder
Lunch: Tuna (or) Chicken Spinach Salad with Carrots/Tomatoes etc.
Dinner: Something with Meat and Vegetables - ie, Steak + Veg, Stirfry, etc.
Snacks: I usually have at least 2 Banana and Berry smoothies per day with Whey Powder. Nuts, Fruits, etc.
Supplements: Omega 3 and Glucosomine tablets.

I adjust portions of rice/bread/pasta/potatoes with the above meals based on my weight at the time.

Extras:
My only additional athletic goal aside from all of the above, is to continue to improve my posture. I foam roll and do mobility exercises on an almost daily basis, and try to remain ever-cognisant of my posture.

Last edited:
This post details my current schedule/scheme. I am using APRE protocols to program my lifting, as detailed here: http://www.myosynthesis.com/workouts/apre-strength-size

I will continue to use these throughout the year. As it is currently Summer vacation I am lifting with a much higher frequency (maybe even 2 days on, one day off) as follows:

Workout A:
Squat
Push Press
Chin-Ups

Workout B:
Deadlift
Bench Press
DB Row

I am sticking to the 6 rep protocol for a few weeks and plan on switching to the 3 rep protocol when I start to stall.

Last edited:
Welcome to the logs! If you have any questions, or need consolation when I bench 100kg for 3 before you, just ask!

Welcome to the logs! If you have any questions, or need consolation when I bench 100kg for 3 before you, just ask!
Haha. Indeed. I highly doubt I will reach my goal of repping it once--let alone thrice-- this year....

27/12, 2012:

I have a few weeks off from skill training as my coach is visiting overseas. I will have a high frequency of strength training in this time as it is the closest thing I have to an "off-season". I will get in some cardiac output sessions during this time as well. Either long runs or cycling.

Strength

Warm-Up: Cycling, Foam-rolling+activation.

Deadlift
60 x 5
80 x 3
100 x 1
120 x 1
125 x 1
130 x 1, 5 sets.
(off 1-inch blocks)
130 x 1
100 x 6

Close-Grip Bench Press
20 x 10
35 x 10
55 x 6
70 x 7 (+1 rep = same)
70 x 6
60 x 3, 3 sets.

DB Row
70LBS x 8, 5 sets.

Supported Row Machine
4 sets.

Notes:
- Deadlifts were fast. I concentrated on form and resorted to 1 inch blocks once bar speed started to slow down. I am unhappy with my form, hence the light weight.

- Bench was okay. Had a few reps in the tank each set.

- FacePull station was in use, hence the random machine rows.

- It was also 35 degrees and boiling hot!

Last edited:
28/12, 2012:

Cardiac Output

Foam Rolling + Pre-hab routine.

Shadow Boxing - 35 minutes.

Average HR = 143.

Session cut short unfortunately by a knock at the door. Was planning to go for 60 minutes.

29/12, 2012:

Strength

Warm-Up: Foam-rolling/Pre-hab routine. Shadow-boxing.

Squat
20 x 10
40 x 10
65 x 6
92.5 x 8 (+2 reps = +2.5kg)
95 x 6
back-off sets
82.5 x 3
70 x 3, 2 sets.

Push Press
25 x 10
40 x 6
52.5 x 6 (+0 reps = same)
52.5 x 6
back-off sets
45 x 3, 3 sets.

Chin-Up
BW x 5
+10kg x 5
+17.5kg x 3
+17.5kg x 4
+17.5kg x 5

Face-pull
57.5: 50 reps total.
Ab Roll-outs
BW: 15 reps total.

Notes:
- Squats felt good. Reps in the tank.

- Breathing became awkward during Push Presses. Need to work on the 'timing'

- Will get 3x5 on Chins next week if it's the last thing I do.

- Abs were fatigued/destroyed come roll-outs. 3x5... pathetic. Lol.

Last edited:
2/01, 2013:

First lifting session of 2013. Went surprisingly well, actually. One thing I have come to learn (at least strongly believe), is that the APRE warm-ups as written don't suit me. I feel like doing 6 reps at 75% of target weight has me increasing the weight in bigger increments than I am accustomed to. My first APRE set felt like hell today. Barely got 6 reps. Kept the weight the same and knocked out 8 reps in the second set with greater ease than the first set. I think I will do 3-4 reps @ 75% and another set of 1-2 around 85-90% of target weight from here on.

Strength

Warm-Up: Jump Rope, Shadow boxing, Foam Rolling.

High Bar Squat
Air x ???
20 x 10
40 x 8
65 x 6
95 x 6 (+ 0 reps = same)
95 x 8 (+ 2 reps = +2.5 next time)
back-off sets
75 x 3
75 x 3

Overhead Press
20 x 10
30 x 6
40 x 10 (+ 4 reps = +5kg)
45 x 6 (+ 0 reps = same weight next time)
back-off sets
35 x 5
35 x 5
35 x 5

Deadlift (for form)
60 x 5
80 x 3
100 x 3
120 x 3

DB Row (very strict, slow, good scapula retraction)
50lbs x 10, 4 sets.
FacePull (superset with Rows)
50 x 15, 4 sets.

Good luck with the new log, LZD.

Are you going to be posting any vids of shadowboxing/sparring/padwork/bagwork?

Did you get the 8% BF measurement using calipers or something else?

Also, have you taken any before/after pics for your posture?

Good luck with the new log, LZD.

Are you going to be posting any vids of shadowboxing/sparring/padwork/bagwork?

Did you get the 8% BF measurement using calipers or something else?

Also, have you taken any before/after pics for your posture?
Thanks for dropping by! If I get a chance to take any videos I'd like to post them up. I probably should take some so I can "see" how I am doing.

I got the 8% via calipers. My coach did that for me when we were talking about weight categories. I first competed at 84kg, then 81... then 78..... see the trend? 75 is next! Lol. His measurements could be completely wrong. I don't know anything about the veracity of such measurements to be honest.

I don't have before and afters unfortunately. I do think that I notice a difference. I have conditioned myself to be thinking about my posture almost all the time. It's actually weird and occasionally annoying. I'm especially cognisant in public - I guess that's a feature of being more self-conscious in front of others. Lol.

3/1, 2012:

It is fucking 39 degrees here. To make matters worse my gym is like a butterfly house. It has a glass roof. This made training today difficult. And apparently it will be 42 tomorrow....

Kickboxing - 2 hrs

All padwork. Second hour hands only. Due to the heat I focused more on technique, specifically on my balance through the combinations and on elevating my shoulders correctly with each punch.

I will do some core work later, roll-outs and medicine ball stuff.

4/1, 2012:

Well, it hit 43 here in Victoria today. The driest, hottest, most baking-your-ass kind of heat. As my gym isn't air-conditioned I dropped in to some casual fitness/bro gym for some "exercise"

Conditioning - Cardiac Output

Treadmill 'run' 50 minutes @ avg. HR 145.

Followed by random core work.

Notes:
It's 8:15pm now... and still fucking 41 degrees Celsius!

I don't have before and afters unfortunately. I do think that I notice a difference. I have conditioned myself to be thinking about my posture almost all the time. It's actually weird and occasionally annoying. I'm especially cognisant in public - I guess that's a feature of being more self-conscious in front of others. Lol.

That's cool.

Have your "kick-boxing posture" and general kick-boxing mechanics changed as well, as a consequence of your posture improvement? How do you feel it has affected your kick-boxing, if at all?

What do you think about letting DrB join out 100kgx3 bench race? I offered, but you and ssdd have to be okay with it?

I think he fits the profile pefectly- long term straggler, not likely to hit it (and thus ruin our fun) really soon.

Are you using APRE for all of your lift?

I hope to bench 100x1 this year, maybe 100x3 next year!

What do you think about letting DrB join out 100kgx3 bench race? I offered, but you and ssdd have to be okay with it?

I think he fits the profile pefectly- long term straggler, not likely to hit it (and thus ruin our fun) really soon.
Of course the good doctor can join. Any LTS-ers welcome!

I am using APRE for Squat, Bench and Push Press. I would run it for DL bar a few factors: 1, hexagonal plates; 2, I want to focus on form; 3, difficult to recover from AMRAPs given my workload and desire to focus on the Squat.

For that reason I mostly pull lighter loads for fast singles. I haven't tested my max for... well, probably a year. It's one of my goals this year to go heavy more often.

I hope to bench 100x1 this year, maybe 100x3 next year!

:redface:

Sorry DrB, no offense intended!

I am putting myself on about the same timeline as you... although if I could train consistently for this whole year, I guess maybe it would be possible to get there this year.

Back