Training Judo and BJJ

Not to revive a dead thread, but I think from what we saw at dream 3, the point that judo makes you a more explosive and physically conditioned athlete (generally speaking) is more true than ever. I mean the judoka who was fighting manhoef had menhoef in trouble. I think that's the reason alot of judoka pickup striking better (or faster atleast) than alot of bjj guys because judokas train explosiveness. Just thought it was interesting as I'm watching dream 3 right now.

Judokas all seem to have great chins aswell, I guess being umped on your back builds neck muscles?

Train them both bro, there is no disadvantage. Train BJJ to learn every aspect of grappling, and Judo for every aspect of takedowns. And when you get good at both, you'll know how to mesh them together quite well.

To be a BJJ guy with sick takedowns will separate you from so many others.

I agree with Dave, to an extent.

I noticed myself that i was a lazy guard player and takin steps to correct it as any martial artist should do find your weaknesses and turn them into strengths, i am now restricting myself to top position and control, instead of flopping to my back and playing guard.

Dave,
What are your thoughts about training Kosen Judo (if available) versus just BJJ or Just Judo?

Back