Training Judo and BJJ

bjj is a sub style of judo by focusing on both your not gonna miss much its just how much you train each one that matters .

you train bjj more then judo you will be better on the ground and vice versa .

It really depends on what you want and what rules you are gonna play by .

if your doing bjj more then judo learn as many judo throws that end up in dominant position and you will be fine .

I trained BJJ for 8 months and than recently switched to training Judo not long after training at AKA where Dave teaches while I was back in the US to visit family. Honestly, I personally wouldn't have been interested in Judo if it hadn't been for BJJ. As an English teacher I know that motivation has a lot to do (although not everything) with how well and how quickly students can learn. If you were equally interested in both and you were young I would say you should learn Judo. Judo is much harder on the body than BJJ and I am glad that I am starting now while I am young (25) and still recover quite quickly. Sure, you could learn both but at the same time if you wanted but I think its both simpler and cheaper to just focus on one art/sport at a time. Its through BJJ that I have become a grappling Otaku.

Just a comment about teaching children:

In the Canadian national coaching certification courses (they have them for all olympic sports, including judo - the coaching levels are becoming pre-requisite for teaching judo instead of belt rank) they're suggesting that young children (eight and under) are better off doing gymnastics than judo, because of the way children learn.

In fact, some are saying children shouldn't do competitive judo until age 12, based upon the way children develop (systems like nervous system, muscles etc have periods of rapid development, in which a child will increase ability a few hundred percent in a year or two). An example is the way young children can learn to be fluent in several languages at once, but older children (and adults) struggle to become fluent in even a second language.

I'm not sure I agree with it, but I guess its something the Canadian national team coach (Nick Gill) signed off on, though I've never spoken with him about it, so there's probably something to it. If Dave Camarillo still scans this thread, I'd like to get his opinion about this from the point of view of an elite athlete and instructor.

Not that my experience is all that broad, but I'd kind of agree with that. Gymnastics is excellent for body awareness, which is a fundamental issue with kids under 6-7 in my own very limited experience. They're not yet aware enough of their own body movements that they can easily replicate complex movements that are shown to them, without placing their limbs in the right place.

Not that my experience is all that broad, but I'd kind of agree with that. Gymnastics is excellent for body awareness, which is a fundamental issue with kids under 6-7 in my own very limited experience. They're not yet aware enough of their own body movements that they can easily replicate complex movements that are shown to them, without placing their limbs in the right place.

My 6 year old daughter is doing dance (mom's idea) and Judo (mine). Its doing wonders for her coordination.

Oh and she loves both of them, we're not "those kind of parents". No pressure for her to succeed on either one.

My 6 year old daughter is doing dance (mom's idea) and Judo (mine). Its doing wonders for her coordination.

Oh and she loves both of them, we're not "those kind of parents". No pressure for her to succeed on either one.

Right on, no matter how much you want your kid to do something that YOU have interest in, you should never force a child into it. It's cool she's liking both. The dancing must be good for her judo footwork :D

you guys are freakin me out with explaining my childhood. Although I won't admit it in real life, I took gymnastics for about a year before I started Judo. I didn't want to go (my mom forced me - said it would be good for me).

Anyway, now that I reflect on all this, I wonder how much of this was my dad's (Judo sensei) doing.

Get your butt back here Dave...

C'mon, the Dogpound barely nudged you.:icon_chee

shits and giggles.

Great contributions Dave - Thanks for stopping by!

PS - Howdy to all the grappling boys, long time lurker, occasional poster.

Not to revive a dead thread, but I think from what we saw at dream 3, the point that judo makes you a more explosive and physically conditioned athlete (generally speaking) is more true than ever. I mean the judoka who was fighting manhoef had menhoef in trouble. I think that's the reason alot of judoka pickup striking better (or faster atleast) than alot of bjj guys because judokas train explosiveness. Just thought it was interesting as I'm watching dream 3 right now.

I'm a fan of learning a solid base in one before you branch out.

Right on, no matter how much you want your kid to do something that YOU have interest in, you should never force a child into it. It's cool she's liking both. The dancing must be good for her judo footwork :D

Indeed, her reaps on osoto's are very similar to some of the leg kicks she does in Irish dancing. Also, helps that she's very tall for her age (about as tall as kids 2 years older than her).

I have Judo classes, where we only use the rules of Judo. I have JJ classes in which we only specialize our technique surrounding the rules of JJ. And I mesh them together in my Guerrilla Jiu-JItsu class.

Furthermore: I teach much more JJ than Judo. This is because Judo is much rougher then JJ. If I taught 80% Judo and 20% JJ, I would lose people.

But this makes sense, as I get older, JJ is much more attractive. I would rather spar with John Fitch or Josh Thomson, than do a full practice at SJSU. Yes, Judo is even harder than MMA, at an elite level...

I am old and busted up enough that I keep intending to do less Judo and more BJJ but Judo is just so much fun. I mean I like BJJ but I hit a couple of good Ippon Seo's tonight and man it just makes me smile inside.

Not to revive a dead thread, but I think from what we saw at dream 3, the point that judo makes you a more explosive and physically conditioned athlete (generally speaking) is more true than ever. I mean the judoka who was fighting manhoef had menhoef in trouble. I think that's the reason alot of judoka pickup striking better (or faster atleast) than alot of bjj guys because judokas train explosiveness. Just thought it was interesting as I'm watching dream 3 right now.

I don't think it is just explosiveness that Judo helps develop. It's all about the timing as well, I think that is one of the most important things you learn. But years of randori will get you into pretty damn good shape.

From what I've seen, it would be hard to tell the difference between a kid's judo and kid's BJJ class. In fact, I think judo and BJJ are the same thing when taught to tots. The only exception is in competition. But there, you're arguing whether freestyle or folkstyle is better for children. I don't think the distinction matters as long as you are teaching them right. Just like the it doesn't matter if they play basketball over soccer, I don't think it makes a difference if they find BJJ or Judo better. As long as they are happy and learning right.

Are kids competing awith the same rules as adults(newbs) in BJJ?

I find it very wrong to teach a 10 year old how to choke someone, or having them arbarring each other

From what I've seen, it would be hard to tell the difference between a kid's judo and kid's BJJ class. In fact, I think judo and BJJ are the same thing when taught to tots. The only exception is in competition. But there, you're arguing whether freestyle or folkstyle is better for children. I don't think the distinction matters as long as you are teaching them right. Just like the it doesn't matter if they play basketball over soccer, I don't think it makes a difference if they find BJJ or Judo better. As long as they are happy and learning right.

I find it very wrong to teach a 10 year old how to choke someone, or having them arbarring each other

Back