Training and Partying the real life paradox

I second that, I enjoy doing JJ, and I enjoy drinking with my friends. I dont need to give up one to do the other.

I'm not a pro fighter, so I wont give up something i love just to lose 2 pounds.

exactly, if you are not pro fighter, whats the point of leading spartan life?

im doing it all for fun, and will stop doing it if stops being fun - simple as that. :wink:

Yeah, i find myself perplexed by this same situation. While I never eat bad when i get drunk, all the alcohol does tend to mess up training the next day if you don't drink lots of water and make sure you stay hydrated.

Im still pretty young so when everyone my age is partying it is hard to say no. So I have fun maybe once a week?? And just bust ass the rest of the week.

Depends on how young you are

I'm 25 and didn't go out drinking/enjoying myself until I was 22-23 ish because it interfered with my training.
Although I'm happy with how far it got me I always get a twinge of regret for not enjoying myself as much as my friends who don't train/fight have and still do (fuckers)

lol I feel like that now Ian, I quit drinking when I started training and I dont really go out much at night anymore unless its a restaurant or cinema type thing. Sometimes I feel Im wasting my youth but honestly Im not too into the whole 'get pissed' lifestyle, the only thing I feel Im missing out on is the easy drunk girls.

lol I feel like that now Ian, I quit drinking when I started training and I dont really go out much at night anymore unless its a restaurant or cinema type thing. Sometimes I feel Im wasting my youth but honestly Im not too into the whole 'get pissed' lifestyle, the only thing I feel Im missing out on is the easy drunk girls.

same as me mate

When I was younger (your age) I didn't really have much confidence (surprising huh :icon_chee) so didn't really enjoy the whole going out and getting pissed thing. But now I'm older I have the confidence but feel like I out age everyone around me and it can make me feel uncomfortable (then I get pissed and notice the fine pieces of arse around me).

Also I'm now starting to feel older so think I should make the most of out my body while I can and get pissed etc when I'm older.

*tosses a coin*

getting wasted and stuffing my face with a carne asada burrito at 3am on the weekend isn't going to negate the past week of training.

Yes it will, and in increasingly devastating fashion as you get older and enter your late 20s/early 30s.

If it were easy to eat well, or fun, everybody would do it and we wouldn't be such a nation of fat asses. It's all about how bad you want it and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it.

thats all very well to say that John , but what if you really enjoy a swallie and the beavy in general?

Plus you might not have been brought up in the binge drinking culture that is the norm in the UK. its hard man.

Like many others have said, what is most important to you?

From 18-23 I was an alcoholic and drank like a fish but still managed to lift; I only trained sparingly.

Now that I am 24 I can't go on a binge without feeling guilty as hell the next day or even at 3am while I am still drinking.

I find that when I go on a cleanse and don't drink or smoke for a few weeks, I feel better, am more motivated, get A LOT more done, think more clearly, eat better, and am just better off.

It depends on the person though.

I regret drinking and smoking as much as I did though- I could be a lot further along in training had I lived a healthier lifestyle. I don't know too many old people that say "Gee, I wish I would have done more drugs and drank more alcohol in my life."

go hard, enjoy yourself
unless you're a professional and your career hangs in the balance, why restrict yourself of the things you love?

on the flipside, if you take your training seriously, the obvious choice is to give it up. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Is it a fun hobby, or do you want to fight professionally?

I agree. You have to choose what is more important to you. That being said, if I were you I would choose one night a week to have a beer and some nachos. If you are really careful about your training and diet all week, an extra 700 cals one night won't matter, unless you're trying to cut weight fast.

Like many others have said, what is most important to you?

From 18-23 I was an alcoholic and drank like a fish but still managed to lift; I only trained sparingly.

Now that I am 24 I can't go on a binge without feeling guilty as hell the next day or even at 3am while I am still drinking.

I find that when I go on a cleanse and don't drink or smoke for a few weeks, I feel better, am more motivated, get A LOT more done, think more clearly, eat better, and am just better off.

It depends on the person though.

I regret drinking and smoking as much as I did though- I could be a lot further along in training had I lived a healthier lifestyle. I don't know too many old people that say "Gee, I wish I would have done more drugs and drank more alcohol in my life."

ah, but the stories you have to tell

Well, the problem is most kids in America have already developed a drinking problem at such a young age that by 21 to 25 they are already fat pieces of shit.

Me just turning 21 and living the clean lifestyle i think im prepared to go into my late 20's and so on with a clean lifestyle so i don't fall into a fat trap as i like to call it

Yeah, does it suck watching my friends enjoy themselves way more than me? Sometimes yes...but im totally happy doing what i do, so why change it because you are supposed to have "fun" getting wasted at my age.

I get more of a kick chilling at the beach, playing some volleyball, body surfing...and seeing how sweet i look at the gym LOL!

I've gone through my alcoholic phase (even though it didn't last long)

Only thing I got from it was being broke, fat, tired all the time, and having fun with my mates.

All of the mates I did that with though kind of stopped at the same time so if I wanted to I couldn't do it anymore anyway.

Now I started trying to train (I just do 'cardio' bag at the local training center...and back into lifting + soccer) and I am happier then partying and feeling like shit.

I've gone through my alcoholic phase (even though it didn't last long)

Only thing I got from it was being broke, fat, tired all the time, and having fun with my mates.

All of the mates I did that with though kind of stopped at the same time so if I wanted to I couldn't do it anymore anyway.

Now I started trying to train (I just do 'cardio' bag at the local training center...and back into lifting + soccer) and I am happier then partying and feeling like shit.

whats a cardio bag?

Yeah bro, especially if your from Scotland.

Drink up on the weekends, but take teh occasional one off, like say every 6 weeks dont drink, just to give your body time to really recover from training all week

I party every weekend until 10 weeks out before a fight.

That being said:
Don't drink beer.
Don't drink soda.
Think Vodka and Cranberry or Tequila.
If you're eating out order something remotely healthy.
Stop smoking weed socially or anything else

best thing you can do is wake up the next day after partying, drink some pedialyte and go run that shit out of you, it sucks but your hangover goes away quickly and you get back to balance and ready to do it all over again

Back