Training and Partying the real life paradox

glasgowviper

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from this same problem.

You will work like a mad man during the week. Training Muay Thai, MMA etc, lifting weights and eating clean, then come the weekend you party just as hard, eat shit food and drink loads of booze.

This is the problem im currently facing and has only got worse since i moved into my own apartment with my girl as we like having people in at the weekends and drinking heavily, smoking baranga etc.

any ideas, or people with the same issue ?

I've been sick for the past month because of partying way too hard. Basically at some point, I think you just have to choose one or the other. Once I get better, I'm not going to party like I used to.

Yeah, i find myself perplexed by this same situation. While I never eat bad when i get drunk, all the alcohol does tend to mess up training the next day if you don't drink lots of water and make sure you stay hydrated.

Im still pretty young so when everyone my age is partying it is hard to say no. So I have fun maybe once a week?? And just bust ass the rest of the week.

Party in moderation. I still try to hold true to the 7 habits when indulging, and it does seem to mitigate the damage.

Anyone else suffer from this same problem.

You will work like a mad man during the week. Training Muay Thai, MMA etc, lifting weights and eating clean, then come the weekend you party just as hard, eat shit food and drink loads of booze.

This is the problem im currently facing and has only got worse since i moved into my own apartment with my girl as we like having people in at the weekends and drinking heavily, smoking baranga etc.

any ideas, or people with the same issue ?

Try exercising self-control. Instead of having 10 beers, have 2.

go hard, enjoy yourself
unless you're a professional and your career hangs in the balance, why restrict yourself of the things you love?

on the flipside, if you take your training seriously, the obvious choice is to give it up. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Is it a fun hobby, or do you want to fight professionally?

go hard, enjoy yourself
unless you're a professional and your career hangs in the balance, why restrict yourself of the things you love?

on the flipside, if you take your training seriously, the obvious choice is to give it up. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Is it a fun hobby, or do you want to fight professionally?

exactly. dude, don't give up the fun things in life at the expense of training. train hard during the week, and enjoy the weekends. I do it every week. getting wasted and stuffing my face with a carne asada burrito at 3am on the weekend isn't going to negate the past week of training. now if you're doing this 3-4x/week then yeah, that could be a problem.

I second that, I enjoy doing JJ, and I enjoy drinking with my friends. I dont need to give up one to do the other.

I'm not a pro fighter, so I wont give up something i love just to lose 2 pounds.

I was an alcoholic for six months. Stopped when I realized I was getting fat.

I agree, unless your trying to go pro then dont worry, but do try to keep it to a minimum. I used to have a serious partying problem going hard everyweekend blowing all my money getting fat from liquor and burritos at 3am. Now as long as I have a bitch and a blunt I'm good. Get blown, lay pipe, throw on a movie and pass out. Next morning I feel like a million bucks and have a productive saturday/sunday. Fucking Great!

Unless you need to make weight or have any fights coming up, then you should be enjoying your weekends. You train hard and your days off should be something to look forward to and have fun with.

Its not that hard to party hard on the weekends and train during the week.

Drink beer, not mixed drinks
Only eat:
meat or stuff that is mostly meat
vegetables
fruit

Most parties have SOMETHING meat oriented, or fast food places. Learn to make the best choice from a bunch of bad ones. It comes in handy. Also, mixed drinks suck. At least beer is mostly water (hydration) and alcohol. No bullshit processed sugars or whatever.. Mixed drinks are why a lot of drinking chicks are fat.

I know most people will say hard liquor has the lowest alcohol:calorie ratio, but it doesn't have the hydration athletes need. Being dehydrated, ever, is hell.

edit: I know I'm not extremely strong, but for the lightweights, I'm one of the strongest here. I used to make awesome gains drinking about a case of beer every weekend. Now I only drink a 12 pack every other weekend or so..mostly to get my tolerance down so I don't spend so much money on beer.

Smoke to get high (buddha) not to die (cigs). I can still run a mile in 6:30 been cheifin for 4 yrs........My friends smoke cigs for a year and a half and he half dies when he tries to run.........420

Drinking will effect you the next day and so forth so dont drink on a day before you train......simple

Try exercising self-control. Instead of having 10 beers, have 2.

wtf is the point of this? If you're gonna do something wrong then do it right. As long as it's not often then who cares.

Party hard, work harder. I'll wake up some mornings hating myself, because I've eaten literally a bag of oreos, 2 whole pies and 10k calories worth of other crap and beer all fucked up and high. Wake up, do burpees and go for a run eat a good breakfast and eat clean and train for whatever the fuck it is your training for. It is the nature of the beast of having fun like that. If you can just stick to beer, and get drunk but not shithoused and stay away from late night fast food runs and the like then your golden and in my opinion none the worse for the wear.

If you truly train like an athlete and are pushing your body every week, no amount of beer in the world is going to hang on to you... it will just make you have to push harder mentally to get over the handicap of not having as much endurance as you'd normally have. Then again, maybe that's just me.... whatever works for you works for you, and if you can't train and party then you're at a crossroads and need to evaluate what you wanna do in life.

Back