Tournament in 1 month

giveuptheghost

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey i am competing in a BJJ tournament in 1 month and was wodering when i should start getting my stamina up and what i should do for cardio

Thanks
Ghost

One month, eh? Well, you don't have much hope for increasing your stamina by any reasonable measure in that type. You should starting getting your cardio up now for whatever event you end up in next. The best thing you can do is something specific to your sport; if you can find someone to roll around with you at a regular pace for 20 minutes straight, not counting warm-up or cool-down, that keeps your heart rate at the proper range (check below for the proper range), that would be the best. Otherwise, something that uses the muscles that you use the most. I'd figure a rowing machine would be good for you, or something that does a lot of knee extension, like a stairmaster or going backward on an elliptical trainer.

Proper Heart Rate Range (simple)
(220 - age) * 60-90%. I'd stay toward the high end, say 75-90%, but it's best not to do that more than every other training session. Do your other sessions at the 60-75% range. And get in as many days as you possibly can.

Running..both distance(not too long) and sprints..or interval runs.

Secondly the best thing that has helped me is doing round robin or "man in the middle" rounds. meaning you start with your first opponet and keep going thru fresh opponets with only a short break in between.

Try doing burpees and running up bleachers. My coach makes us do 100 burpees straight. If you're not in shape it will kick your ass.

damn 100 straight.. i train all the time and can do like 20 straight before im tired as hell.

burpee:
1. you start standing and jump
2. squat down, place your hands on the ground in front of you
3. kick your legs out so you're in push up position
4. do a push up
5. bring your feet back in
6. stand up

Steps 2 and 3 could be combined into a sprawl.

Gsoares, yeah man doing the 100 in a row is tough at first but it builds up your cardio pretty well. My coach has us do those at least once a week before class.

if your torny is in 1 month you better start doin intense cardio right away

In such a short period of time wouldn't interval training be the most effective?

Timbaland said:
burpee:
1. you start standing and jump
2. squat down, place your hands on the ground in front of you
3. kick your legs out so you're in push up position
4. do a push up
5. bring your feet back in
6. stand up

Steps 2 and 3 could be combined into a sprawl.

Gsoares, yeah man doing the 100 in a row is tough at first but it builds up your cardio pretty well. My coach has us do those at least once a week before class.

A variation of this is an 8 count body builder....did millions of them in boot camp.....between steps 4 and 5 you take your legs from straight to spread eagle and then back to strait. small change but you will notice it.

giveuptheghost said:
Hey i am competing in a BJJ tournament in 1 month and was wodering when i should start getting my stamina up and what i should do for cardio

Thanks
Ghost

what BJJ tournie?

ordean said:
A variation of this is an 8 count body builder....did millions of them in boot camp.....between steps 4 and 5 you take your legs from straight to spread eagle and then back to strait. small change but you will notice it.

Another version is the squat thrust, bascially the same thing as a burpee without the jump.

Back