Too many push ups?

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Like many other bjj schools we do lots of push ups. I was thinking that I don't need to do them that much and possibly the amount I'm doing is counter productive.

It seems that my left shoulder (once separated) locks up and I can't touch my elbows together. I've talked to my instructor and he's cool with me doing alternate exercises like squats, wall sits, and ab work when everyone else is doing push ups.

My buddy seems to think that push ups are the greatest exercise ever and that it must be my form that's causing discomfort.

I am considered a "strong" guy at my school (6'1" / 210 lbs.). I have really wide shoulders. Push ups seem to decrease my flexibility and cause minor pain. Why should I do push ups?

I would rather make up a personal warm up program which would include body movement, stretching, and light drilling.

I'm 41 and have had a slew of injuries. Are push ups and common bjj warm ups counter productive?

I tried the search function and read the FAQ. I hope this hasn't been talked to death here. I'm usually hanging out in the grappling forum.

Thanks.

I think it is definitely more than possible that over your 41 years you've done more pushups by far than you have any pulling movements. You're flexibility and pain issues with the movement seem to indicate that.

Seems like you have it worked out though, trade pushups for something else, but you'll also want to assess the original imbalance that is causing the problem. Possibly your posterior chain needs some more specific attention, and you need to do some shoulder strengthening and flexibility excercises.

I think it is definitely more than possible that over your 41 years you've done more pushups by far than you have any pulling movements. You're flexibility and pain issues with the movement seem to indicate that.

Seems like you have it worked out though, trade pushups for something else, but you'll also want to assess the original imbalance that is causing the problem. Possibly your posterior chain needs some more specific attention, and you need to do some shoulder strengthening and flexibility excercises.

Imbalance seems to ring a bell. I lifted weights in college (20 years ago) and it didn't seem to help my hockey playing ability. It seemed to make the imbalance worse. I've been hiking, (in door)rock climbing, biking, and swimming as cross training activities. They seem to balance me out. I also worked with black belt Michael Jen who is popular on mma.tv. He has a MBF program.

Solution4Pain.com - Live, Work, and Play a Pain Free Life!

I think push ups can be great for some people. My guess is that too many create an imbalance which causes pain.

Thank you Ath-ah-lete.

Well I think the problem is in your joints and not in the exercise. However pushups do put a measureable amount of stress on your rotator cuffs and elbows...Maybe you should go out and buy that "Perfect Pushup", it moves with the natural rotation of your shoulder so it puts much less stress on it. I would also reccomend fish oil for your joints

It might be an imbalance. What's your lifting routine like? What kind of pulls do you do? Have you tried bent over rows?

It might be an imbalance. What's your lifting routine like? What kind of pulls do you do? Have you tried bent over rows?

I do not lift at all. I use rubber bands once and a while. I also try dips and pull ups once and a while.

Mainly just bjj. Hiking/walking, swimming, and biking once and a while. I've been trying rock climbing recently.

I do not lift at all. I use rubber bands once and a while. I also try dips and pull ups once and a while.

Mainly just bjj. Hiking/walking, swimming, and biking once and a while. I've been trying rock climbing recently.

OH YEAH...I would bet money on an imbalance based on this info. Rock climbing will help build your posterior chain, but if you are active/want to be active, and are having pain there is no reason you shouldn't be lifting weights CONSISTENTLY. Your problem seems to be doing a lot of pushups and as you said, "once in a while" doing some pullups. Seems like, "once in a while" isn't often enough for your posterior delts to catch up to your anterior delts.

Find a program you like and make lifting a part of your life both to make you stronger and to keep you from dealing with other injuries in the future. Keep in mind though that you are trying to correct an imbalance. Add an extra upper body pulling movement or two, possibly drop an upper body pushing movement, and don't even THINK about getting your bench up.lol

Also, don't go waste your money on a "perfect pushup" WTFever gizmo someone suggested.

Pullups > pushups do them instead... yes I know they're COMPLETELY different in terms of pressing / pulling, but seriously, do pullups.

buy the perfect pushup... im serious, the creator of the thing made them due to his army squad having too mnay injuries partially from doing too many pushups

buy the perfect pushup... im serious, the creator of the thing made them due to his army squad having too mnay injuries partially from doing too many pushups

You're seriously giving this guy advice based on info gleaned from an infomercial??????

STOP what you are doing now and walk away.lol

baboo1bx.gif

I HATE BJJ warm-up and "conditioning" routines. I can do my conditioning on my own. When I go to BJJ, I want to learn and roll. I can do all the push ups and crunches I want in my own time.

And for a hard training athlete, a 15 minute routine of a bunch of push ups, crunches, etc. contributes nothing to the fitness of the individual, yet can interfere with recovery.

Double thumbs down to class warm-up routines.

You're seriously giving this guy advice based on info gleaned from an infomercial??????

STOP what you are doing now and walk away.lol

first off i didnt hear it off an infomercial smart ass, it was on a well established buisness show (forget name) where they interviewed him, 2nd i own it and can personally attest to it.

So...this is who you'd listen to for strength and conditioning tips?

jim-cramer.jpg

I do 200 pushups on my own every night even after the pushups we do in class, but then again im 16 and my body can withstand.

I do 200 pushups on my own every night even after the pushups we do in class, but then again im 16 and haven't hurt myself yet so I don't feel compelled to listen to anybody who's been where I am and learn from their mistakes. boy I'm dumb to think that being 16 makes me somehow less vulnerable than others, that's ok though cause in another 5 years i'll be making this same thread and asking why my shoulders hurt

fixed.

Back