Too little variation in my bulking routine?

S

SixTwoSix

Currently I'm working on bulking up and adding muscle, my upper body day goes:

Flat Bench Press
Bicep Curls (I know...)
Lying flat tricep extensions
Deadlift
Military Press

Leg day:
Squats
Calf raises w/ weights
Lunges
Power Cleans

Anyway, I was reading an article on Bodybuilding.com and it had a few routines for bulking that included dumbbell flys and bent over dumbbell rows, should I include these in my upper body day or am I fine as is? Thanks.

Do heavy compound lifts first, and then your lighter assistance exercises last.

bodybuilding.com is = to saying "abortion" at catholic.com's forums

Don't forget to do the velocity diet too so you can maximize muscle gains while losing weight!

Don't forget to do the velocity diet too so you can maximize muscle gains while losing weight!

You also maintain/improve your strength without lifting any weights.

Not eating and not lifting weights == Strength

When do you workout your back?

Replace bicep curls with heavy chins/pullups and replace lying tricep extensions with weighted dips.

Also, get the fuck out of here with calf raises. Do some jumping squats (really explosively) instead.

If you want to do isolation exercises on upper body day, shoulder rotator-cuff stuff is a better option -- internal and external rotations, Cuban presses, etc.

It won't make any difference in the way you look but it'll help keep your shoulders healthy.

Doing all that in two days is going to fuck you over.

Split it up more, like do Power Cleans one week, then Deadlift the next.

A lot of powerlifters on these boards hate bodybuilding or any iso excercises. My biceps grew from curls, and my calfs grew from heavy calf raises. They arent great stregnth builders but they put on size.

A lot of powerlifters on these boards hate bodybuilding or any iso excercises. My biceps grew from curls, and my calfs grew from heavy calf raises. They arent great stregnth builders but they put on size.

Nothing wrong with those exercises, but putting them ahead of compound movements is not a good thing. I do curls and calf raises, but they always come last.

Nothing wrong with those exercises, but putting them ahead of compound movements is not a good thing. I do curls and calf raises, but they always come last.

Well yeah I do 2 more sets of Bench/Deadlifts than I do of Curls/Tricep extensions.

To the guy who asked how I worked my back, military press and deadlift don't work back?

Doing all that in two days is going to fuck you over.

Split it up more, like do Power Cleans one week, then Deadlift the next.

About that, I think I have pretty good recovery time, I've been doing this routine for 2 or so weeks and I don't feel any soreness at all.

I've also only been lifting for like 3 weeks total which is probably good to know.

True to all these points. And you need to row too. HEAVY. All types of rows--Seated, upright, bent over, all add great mass.

True to all these points. And you need to row too. HEAVY. All types of rows--Seated, upright, bent over, all add great mass.

Heavy compound movements and eatin' like there's no tomorrow adds mass.

Who the hell are you, and where did you come from?

Alright, and noob question here, but about how fast can I expect results? I'm like 6' 145 pounds right now so I'm basically a stick, and I started lifting 3 weeks ago.

I'd like to end up at like 170 pounds or so.

thursday, friday morning at the latest i reckon, especially if you put some mass on your calves, which are closer to the scale so you'll weigh more.

it's the same reason why if you want to lose weight but put on mass you should focus on the upper body the most.

Alright, and noob question here, but about how fast can I expect results? I'm like 6' 145 pounds right now so I'm basically a stick, and I started lifting 3 weeks ago.

I'd like to end up at like 170 pounds or so.

Don't worry about it. Lift right, eat right, rest right. The shit'll happen when it's supposed to happen.

Back