Tony vs Khabib will determine the best LW ever, BUT...

Well if Tony beats Khabib and loses to either Conor or Gaethje, you would imagine one of those two choosing or having to defend strap against Khabib so that will be the ultimate LW goat lol Either way, khabib is at the end of that tunnel ... Either Ferguson beats Khabib and becomes LW GOAT, Khabib wins and retains LW GOAT status, or whoever beats Tony after will have to face Khabib to lay claim to the LW GOAT status

So Tony had 11 wins in a row and a CLEAR claim to the next fight with Khabib. The UFC decided to pull some bullshit and make an interim belt even though they knew EXACTLY when Khabib would be back. It wasn't an injury, he was only out until Sept. Yet they just HAD to make yet another fake belt (after stripping Tony of his for no reason) so they could pull in a few more ppv buys. Okay, that's fine. But blaming Tony for saying "Fuck you" to ANOTHER interim title fight is stupid.

You're rationale is "Tony could have ended Max's streak". Well, that streak was at FW, not LW first of all. "He could have fought in Abu Dhabi with PPV points. Instead he takes on Cowboy in a 3 rounder LOL." Well, you aren't really thinking about this very clearly it seems.

He needed to beat Max, and then he'd have fought Khabib for the belt. In a meritocracy he just would have fought Khabib in Sept with no interim title fight needed. But whatever. But even though he didn't fight Max in that interim fight, he still only needed to win ONE fight to get his title shot. Here, let me break it down this way:

Tony fights Max for the interim belt, wins, then fights Khabib in Abu Dhabi and gets ppv points for an event that happened in the afternoon in the biggest ppv market (the US). That's scenario #1.

Tony fights Cowboy, wins, then fights Khabib in NY and gets ppv points for a MUCH bigger card that will sell a shit ton more ppv's than the one in Abu Dhabi ever could have.

In other words, Tony made the absolute correct choice and your analysis of things makes no sense.
Tony doesn't get ppv points in April. Only Champs, interim champs and Conrad get ppv points ... I know it sucks

Yeah, see, thats the thing. Only champs can clear out a division. I see this argument a lot with Conor fans who say he "cleared" out the FW division so there was no need to defend. Its kind of ridiculous.

I'm the furthest thing from a Conrat fan. The argument I presented is valid, Khabib and Tony are both great examples as well. Due to injuries, missing weight, not being favoured they never got the real title shot until they both had double digit consecutive wins in the UFC. I did a complete breakdown before of how fast GSP and Jones got title shots and thus were able to amass so many defences.

Ok I don't agree but you can have that one because in the end Khabib's resume still beats Tony's.
It's actually debatable whose is better. They're basically equivalent, quality-wise.

Tony doesn't get ppv points in April. Only Champs, interim champs and Conrad get ppv points ... I know it sucks

Maybe. But given the card is in NY and going to be huge, he may have negotiated a better deal (even without getting ppv points) than he'd have made in April.

"He will be the consensus all time LW GOAT."

There will be no such consensus until Tony has had more than one truly great result on his record.
Who would that opponent be? I feel like most of the rest of the division, even those who are considered solidwins at the moment, would drop in rating so much with another loss - that it seems kind of hard to get another win that Sherdog would consider a truly great one.
One key difference is that Khabib has beaten everybody and made it look easy, whereas Ferguson has beaten a lot of great fighters through surviving rough spots.
Partially agree. Don't forget Tibau though.
But yeah I agree the big difference is Khabib has never really been in trouble.

But to a minor extent people arguing for Tony will say this is mitigated by him having more finishes.
In their last 12 Tony had 9 finishes and 3 decisions, while Khabib had 6 decisions and 6 finishes.

Greg Hardy would beat both of them, LW GOAT is a participation prize for manlets.
Agree with weight categories being a participation prize, Hardy wouldn't beat Khabib though..

So the hypothetical is "what if the GOAT loses later on?"

Unless one of the losses causes them to travel back in time it won't change that they'd have the most accomplishments in LW history, so the thread is sort of weird. Shouldn't matter that someone gets old. What they accomplish is what they accomplish.

But I guess your point is we act like it does erase the past? Fair point if so.

Oke let's rearrange the order.
Dustin > Pettis. Dustin beat Pettis
Al > Lee. Al beat Lee twice.

Let's see if Cowboy beats Conrad. I wouldn't mind if he did because then he can't mess up the LW title picture anymore :D
Well Conrad did beat Cowboy. And it looks like he wants to mess up the LW title picture ones more.

But any way.

Poirier > pettis. DP made him quit before Tony :D

Al > Lee. Beatt that ass twice lol

Conrad > Cowboy. 40 secs .... Sheesh

Khabib's resume >>> Tony's resume

Khabib Bless

618809-29f18f5a26ab8949f4357f14fcf4a2cd.png

It's actually debatable whose is better. They're basically equivalent, quality-wise.

Not anymore after Conrad shoulder striked cowboy to another realm :D

Al > Lee (2×)
Poirier > Pettis
Conrad > Cowboy
Khabib > MJ > Tony

Khabib Bless

Tony hasn't fought Conrad, Poirier or Gaethje.
He hasn't faced a real top contender since RDA. Lee, cowboy and pettis are good wins but not top contenders. And yes I know Cowboy is ranked 5th but let's be honest here.
not sure if serious. poirer and conrad are featherweights. khabib has been bullying much smaller fighters. He'll struggle with tony and i just cant see how he wins the fight. sure he will hold tony down for a round or two, then tony will run over him imo.

not sure if serious. poirer and conrad are featherweights. khabib has been bullying much smaller fighters. He'll struggle with tony and i just cant see how he wins the fight. sure he will hold tony down for a round or two, then tony will run over him imo.
Those featherweightd would KO tony badly. Especially when featherweights like Pettis knock him down :D

Khabib Bless

Not anymore after Conrad shoulder striked cowboy to another realm :D

Al > Lee (2×)
Poirier > Pettis
Conrad > Cowboy
Khabib > MJ > Tony

Khabib Bless

View attachment 732353
Cerrone > Iaquinta
Thomson > Diaz > Mcgregor

Tony > Tibau > Khabib

El Cucuy bless.

Last edited:
Everybody has its own view of the history of the event.
For me Tony already is the LW GOAT.

Back