Tony vs Khabib will determine the best LW ever, BUT...

You need a couple vs the best the division has to offer.

Khabib + Dustin or Justin n I'd never argue against it

He'd have one over the top ranked guy who was 28-0. Plus 12 in a row before that. The other "best the division has to offer" would be Poirier who'd already lost to the guy he beat for the belt and Gaethje who only has 3-4 wins in a row after dropping 2 straight. Those aren't guys that define his legacy (though he'd likely fight at least one of them anyway and win or lose that would HELP in determining his all time rank).

If you are ranked (not that it matters) then you are a top contender. Both have faced absolute killers and at this point Tony doesn't have to worry about facing them. He's more than earned his shot at the title.
He has earned his shot at the title. Nobody is disputing that. But a win over Khabib doesn't make him the LW Goat.
I am pretty sure he has fought killers but not championship material top 5 contenders excluding RDA.

Beating a champ, beating a former champ relatively close to his title-reign, beating a future champ on his way up. Those are great results. Only the Dos Anjos-win is great, the sort of win that one can use in an argument over GOAT-status. Thomson and Pettis were spent forces once they faced Tony.

Pettis then KO'd Wonderboy who had never been KO'd. Barboza and Lee were top 5 when he beat them. His wins are just fine in a GOAT discussion WHEN you also factor in 12 wins in a row (would be 13 with Khabib) and no losses in 8+ years. Plus most of the wins are finishes. He's not eeking out split decision wins.

He has earned his shot at the title. Nobody is disputing that. But a win over Khabib doesn't make him the LW Goat.
I am pretty sure he has fought killers but not championship material top 5 contenders excluding RDA.
Pettis was champion, Kevin Lee is apparently always on the step of GOATNESS depending on who you ask and Cerrone is always game. I personally feel Tony has had a rougher schedule than Khabib to be honest.

I know. But he really hasn't fought someone on a good streak like Poirier.
The Poirier Khabib fought was red hot man. Coming off Pettis-Geathje-Alvarez-Holloway. Even Tony's best win RDA was coming of a standing TKO loss to Alvarez.
Tony has no real marquee win
Who cares about a "marquee win" . Tony has finished 20 of 25 opponents including 9 of 12 in his win streak. They've fought a ton of the same opponents and pretty similar competition.

Who cares about a "marquee win" . Tony has finished 20 of 25 opponents including 9 of 12 in his win streak. They've fought a ton of the same opponents and pretty similar competition.
When you beat them matters more then how you beat them. Atleast in my humble opinion.

not without titles defenses he wont. khabib only has to beat tony to be lw GOAT because he beat everybody else. Tony has to beat khabib, Dustin, Conor and gaethje to be lw goat.

Pettis was champion, Kevin Lee is apparently always on the step of GOATNESS depending on who you ask and Cerrone is always game. I personally feel Tony has had a rougher schedule than Khabib to be honest.
Pettis is washed and Al > Lee 2x
And Cerone ... meh

Well if Tony beats Khabib and then losses his next it still wont hurt his Legacy, career for sure but not legacy.
Also what is it now 12 fight win streak? Imagine if he beats Kabobs, he will the first guy to do it.

Pettis is washed and Al > Lee 2x
And Cerone ... meh
Pettis being washed up has no significance on the time Tony had beaten him. Pettis went through Chiesa like a hot knife through butter and many put him right back in the mix after that performance. The fact he gave Tony a war showed how good he still was. Cerrone himself has beaten former champion Benson and Alvarez and even Al who has beaten Lee 2x. Those are all killers and have all been losing to Tony.

He'd have one over the top ranked guy who was 28-0. Plus 12 in a row before that. The other "best the division has to offer" would be Poirier who'd already lost to the guy he beat for the belt and Gaethje who only has 3-4 wins in a row after dropping 2 straight. Those aren't guys that define his legacy (though he'd likely fight at least one of them anyway and win or lose that would HELP in determining his all time rank).
Pettis then KO'd Wonderboy who had never been KO'd. Barboza and Lee were top 5 when he beat them. His wins are just fine in a GOAT discussion WHEN you also factor in 12 wins in a row (would be 13 with Khabib) and no losses in 8+ years. Plus most of the wins are finishes. He's not eeking out split decision wins.
you doing a lot of MMA maths here. Dustin, gaethje and conor all are bad matchups for tony and could def KO him dead. How could you claim to be lw GOAT when there are at least 3 other contenders that could definitely beat you. At least if khabib gets pass tony there is nobody left. Tony still has 3 guys left if he beats khabib

Its not mind blowing to us who were around at the time to witness it.

Most of you dolts get your information from fight finder.

Oh ok. So if i dont think bj penn is the “goat” i get my info from fight finder and i am a “dolt”. Thanks for your input.

BJ Penn is a legend because of the wars he has been in, his pioneer in fighting at whatever the fuck weight class, and for his dominance (all beit pretty short) at LW.

While it’s easy to look back now and say BJ Penn might have been overrated (his big wins were Florian, Sanchez, Joe Daddy, being competitive vs GSP in the first fight, and beating Hughes- not that bad of a resume), there is no one else until recently aside from Tony/Khabib that you can say is the LW GOAT.

I think bj penn is a legend no doubt just no where near “goat” status.

Styles make fights... there's always someone somewhere that has your number and will beat your ass, even if you're the better fighter.

you want people to take you serious while making statements like this. talk about shooting yourself in the foot

Tony hasn't fought Conrad, Poirier or Gaethje.
He hasn't faced a real top contender since RDA. Lee, cowboy and pettis are good wins but not top contenders. And yes I know Cowboy is ranked 5th but let's be honest here.
RDA has more top ranked LW wins than Conor so why is Conor considered such a greater win, exactly? Context-wise, they're about the same.

you doing a lot of MMA maths here. Dustin, gaethje and conor all are bad matchups for tony and could def KO him dead. How could you claim to be lw GOAT when there are at least 3 other contenders that could definitely beat you. At least if khabib gets pass tony there is nobody left. Tony still has 3 guys left if he beats khabib

Your opinion. Which you are entitled to but holds absolutely no more weight than mine or others who say Tony would maul Conor, Justin, or Dustin.

Pettis being washed up has no significance on the time Tony had beaten him. Pettis went through Chiesa like a hot knife through butter and many put him right back in the mix after that performance. The fact he gave Tony a war showed how good he still was. Cerrone himself has beaten former champion Benson and Alvarez and even Al who has beaten Lee 2x. Those are all killers and have all been losing to Tony.
Pettis, Lee and Cowboy just don't do it for me and for alot of other people too.
Dustin > Cowboy
Al > Lee
Conor > Pettis

Back