"Tony Ferguson's latest potential opponent: Michael Chandler" --- Ariel Helwani

If true, this would be awesome. FOTN material and highly relevant.

Now that's an exciting match-up. Throw Chandler in the deep end to see if he can swim with the big boys.

No incentive for Tony to take this fight.

No incentive for Tony to take this fight.
Tony just needs a win over a quality ranked opponent to be the next obvious choice in line for a TS if Khabib beats Gaethje IMO (if the GSP fight doesn’t happen too.) Poirier, Chandler, Oliviera, Hooker all will suffice. I personally think Chandler is one of his “easier” options for him (as opposed to Dustin or even Hooker) and it’s still a big fight so why not? Now if Gaethje wins, Poirier or a Khabib rematch are the better options, no matter who Tony beats really.

Tony just needs a win over a quality ranked opponent to be the next obvious choice in line for a TS if Khabib beats Gaethje IMO (if the GSP fight doesn’t happen too.) Poirier, Chandler, Oliviera, Hooker all will suffice. I personally think Chandler is one of his “easier” options for him (as opposed to Dustin or even Hooker) and it’s still a big fight so why not? Now if Gaethje wins, Poirier or a Khabib rematch are the better options, no matter who Tony beats really.
This fight does more for Chandler than Tony. This fight won't put him back in title contention imo

Banger. I got Tony. Huge first fight for Michael Chandler.

Would definitely watch, but I won’t believe that Chandler has any interest in signing with the UFC until I see him in the cage.
Why wouldnt he? Ofcourse he wants to sign to get the most exposure... it's just a matter of getting paid as much or more than he gets in Bellator or where ever else hes looking... you dont go leave your job for less money.

This fight does more for Chandler than Tony. This fight won't put him back in title contention imo
lol so hypothetically if Tony were to beat Chandler and Khabib were to beat Gaethje in the next month or two, which LW is sitting in better contention than Tony?? POSSIBLY Dustin but he was just dominated by Khabib and barley beat Hooker. Rematch isn’t very appealing. Gaethje would have just lost. Oliviera, Hooker or Conor? No way.

Tony is 15-2 in the UFC and is the #3? ranked LW In the world right now. He’s never really left “title contention.” And with a win over maybe the biggest free agent acquisition for the UFC in recent memory, there’s no way you can say he isn’t in title contention.

Now I do agree that Tony probably need to beat Poirier to get another crack at Gaethje if he were to win, but there’s no way you can’t say Tony isn’t in title contention with a win over Chandler.

Last edited:
Great example of UFC leverage...

UFC wants to make Dustin-Tony, but not at any cost.
UFC wants to sign Chandler, but not at any cost.

By shutting down Poirier's salary demands, not only is the UFC identifying a ceiling to Dustin and to other UFC fighters who might be an option for Tony, the UFC is going to use that against Chandler too.

The UFC knows Chandler is 34 and may leave a bit of money on the table if it means a quicker path to a title shot...and now the UFC gets to go into those discussions after publicly shutting down Poirier and they can use the details to shape whatever expectations Chandler might have come in with by offering Tony as possibly a #1 contender fight.

Give me a break. The fight would be nearly even odds. You're a clown if you think Tony easily wins this.
Tony is an elite fighter with a diverse skillset. He is not losing to an overblown midget. A guy that loses to Will Brooks twice will not beat Tony.

Anything can happen though, but I give Chandler a punchers chance. I respect your opinion.

Dumb take. He beats McGregor easily because he'll gas out within 7 minutes and he stands the best chance vs Khabib because of his ground game, his ability in scrambles and his obscene durability and stamina.
Conor would demolish Tony's face just like Gaychee did. Conor went 5 rounds with Triathlon Diaz at 170 pounds. Tony is a can

Chandler can make an immediate splash here.

I could see Chandler scoring early TKO or fading to Tony's pressure and getting finished late.
Interesting fight.

Conor would demolish Tony's face just like Gaychee did. Conor went 5 rounds with Triathlon Diaz at 170 pounds. Tony is a can
When Conor is running away from Tony by the end of the 2nd with his hands on his hips, breathing like a little fat kid with asthma, Tony won’t stand there and point and laugh like Nate did. He’d run up to Conor and slice a giant goat vagina across his forehead with his elbows. He would get devastated by Tony if he even remotely gassed like that. This is something we will never see though because Conor will never take that fight and has been ducking Tony since 2017.

Back