"Tony Ferguson's latest potential opponent: Michael Chandler" --- Ariel Helwani

But I thought Tony was supposed to be the best. People always flip flop the best fighters lol.
I’ve been saying for a long time he isn’t the best, I was called a “casual” when I said he looked like garbage against Pettis and cowboy and that Justin would destroy him. He’s very luck Dustin isn’t fighting as that would of been a rough night aswell.

Why would Tony fight this roided out freakshow * ? Let him settle into the USADA pool and earn his way to the top.

If he can stick around without pissing hot long enough (and he keeps winning), then give him a crack at the top 5.

* We know Bellator has more lax PED testing

Chandler has everything to gain in this fight. It's kind of a lose situation for Tony.

If he wins, people will say Chandler was a Bellator bum. And we aren't sure this will guaranty him the next title shot. Especially if Gaethje beats Khabib.
Sorta reminds me of Cowboy vs Alvarez

Sounds fucking hype. But let's be honest, winner of that still doesn't deserve Khabib. Either of them vs DP for the vacant title after Khabib and GSP retire together sounds fantastic too

Sounds fucking hype. But let's be honest, winner of that still doesn't deserve Khabib. Either of them vs DP for the vacant title after Khabib and GSP retire together sounds fantastic too
If Tony were to bounce back with a win over Chandler, he’d be 13-1 in his last 14 fights with one of the best LW resumes ever. He’d deserve Khabib as much as any other challenger before imo. But yes obviously the GSP fight is a possibility that is still in play and could take precedent over Ferg. Other than that, I don’t see who would be next for Khabib besides Tony.

What the hell does Tony have to gain from this at all? Chandler is unranked.

What the hell does Tony have to gain from this at all? Chandler is unranked.
He might not be ranked but he’s a big name and the biggest free agent acquisition the UFC has had since probably Eddie Alvarez. It’s still a big fight for Tony. Tony is in a position where he’s 12-1 in his last 13 fights (15-2 in the UFC) and probably only needs a win over one quality opponent to cement himself as the next title challenger again. Poirier also has a say but he just recently had a title shot and lost handily. Plus the UFC probably isn’t going to do him any favors by holding out on them. So if Khabib wins, the rematch with Dustin doesn’t make a ton of sense. Chandler is probably the best thing for Tony outside of Poirier.

As long as Tony is back to his best and the Gaethje fight hasn’t robbed him of his soul he stops Chandler in 3-4 rounds with relative ease.

lol so hypothetically if Tony were to beat Chandler and Khabib were to beat Gaethje in the next month or two, which LW is sitting in better contention than Tony?? POSSIBLY Dustin but he was just dominated by Khabib and barley beat Hooker. Rematch isn’t very appealing. Gaethje would have just lost. Oliviera, Hooker or Conor? No way.

Tony is 15-2 in the UFC and is the #3? ranked LW In the world right now. He’s never really left “title contention.” And with a win over maybe the biggest free agent acquisition for the UFC in recent memory, there’s no way you can say he isn’t in title contention.

Now I do agree that Tony probably need to beat Poirier to get another crack at Gaethje if he were to win, but there’s no way you can’t say Tony isn’t in title contention with a win over Chandler.

Agree to disagree . I don't think beating a UFC new comer is going to put Tony in title contention. What are they going to rank Chandler assuming he signs?

Everyone knows who's getting the next title shot whether we like it or not assuming khabib beats gaethje

Interesting fight, I like it

It's happening

If you make that you gotta make oliveira vs poirier or oliveira vs hooker and put it on that card. One backup fight for khabib isn't enough. We learnt that the hard way at 223.

Rather see Chandler vs Tony.

if Chandler wins he’s right at the top of the heap and made a hell of a debut, if Tony wins he beat one of Bellators best ever.

on top of the styles being a fan friendly fight. I’m all for this fight. Sorry Dustin. Shouldn’t have signed your original contract for so low I guess.

I thought new fighters have to undergo 4 months USADA testing first?

The sharpool at LW gets even scarier if Chandler signs.

Back