Tony Ferguson only has 2 top 10 wins.......

To be honest, rankings are kind of irrelevant when they seem to have little bearing on what fights are made at the moment, particularly when it comes to championship fights. But if you're going to use rankings as an argument, use the official rankings. They're the only ones that matter.

Regarding who deserves the title shot more. In the last 2 and a bit years, Khabib has fought and beat a total of 1 unranked fighter. A lot changes in 2 years, if you don't fight you should lose your place in line to the people that do fight.
I generally agree with what you're saying. My point was simply that Thomson wasn't really a top 10 caliber LW (and I actually like the guy). And I agree about Khabib. I don't think either guy has a great argument for a title shot.

Jacare's opponents were "top 10 at the time" but Thompson "isn't even with the UFC anymore"

Before he was RDA ... This place gets worse and worse each day

giphy.gif
Nobody rated RDA when Khabob beat him

No one cared, khabib fans act like he beat RDA when he was champ or some shit

I like Khabib and I hope he gets the belt but there's no way he deserves a shot over Ferguson at this point.

I generally agree with what you're saying. My point was simply that Thomson wasn't really a top 10 caliber LW (and I actually like the guy). And I agree about Khabib. I don't think either guy has a great argument for a title shot.

Ah fair enough. Who do you think is most deserving?

-At the moment Ferg is on a decent streak, but 1/2 top 10.

-Khabib is on a good streak with a win over a weaker version of the previous champ over 2 years ago, and 1 win against an unranked opponent in the last 2 years.

-Poirier is on a decent streak, but not against anyone in the top 10.

-Barboza is on a 2 fight streak, both ranked top 10/15 opponents.

-RDA just got destroyed by the champ.

-Cerrone is fighting at WW now.

-Pettis is out. 3 losses

-Johnson is out. 2 losses.

-Chiesa is on a 3 win streak with 0 top 10 wins.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting on the outcome of McGregor/Diaz. The top 10 at LW is looking quite poor at the moment, challenger wise.

-Khabib is on a good streak with a win over a weaker version of the previous champ over 2 years ago, and 1 win against an unranked opponent in the last 2 years.

-Pettis is out. 3 losses

I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting on the outcome of McGregor/Diaz. The top 10 at LW is looking quite poor at the moment, challenger wise.

They better be.

Khabib fighting for the title right now isn't the best thing. Make him vs Barboza.

I actually feel bad for Tony Ferguson.. its not that he's not willing, it's just that every single time he gets a big fight it falls through. Its a real bummer because he's always exciting to watch.

-Pettis is out. 3 losses

Honestly, I don't anyone has a great argument for a title shot. As you laid out, the division is devoid of title-worthy challengers. I suppose the most-worthy at this point are Khabib, Barboza, and Ferguson. Since there's no clear #1, I'd be fine with any of them getting the shot.

My agree that the UFC will probably give the title shot to the Conor-Diaz winner. If Ferguson beats RDA, he'll have earned the next title shot. If he loses, give the next shot to Barboza (assuming he gets another W on his record in the meantime). While all that's going on, give Chiesa and Poirier a crack at some bigger names to potentially build their resumes.

They both deserve a title shot. But I'd like to see Khabib get it at this point. If he beats Alvarez (which I think he will) then Ferguson will get his chance when he beats Dos Anjos.

If he beats RDA then there's no denying after that that's all there is too it...

Back