TOMBSTONE (Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed the Film)

I just watched Unforgiven for the first time and, while I did enjoy it, there is no way that is better than Tombstone.

Have you watched The good, the bad, and the ugly?

Tombstone and Unforgiven are on the same page to me, and I dont consider one really better than the other.

But the Good, bad, ugly, with the soundtrack, pacing, script, plot, everything about is stands above the others to me. Also that it is a work of fiction, where as Tombstone is based on actual events. I dunno, just the creativity involved is a whole different level I feel.

Have you watched The good, the bad, and the ugly?

Tombstone and Unforgiven are on the same page to me, and I dont consider one really better than the other.

But the Good, bad, ugly, with the soundtrack, pacing, script, plot, everything about is stands above the others to me. Also that it is a work of fiction, where as Tombstone is based on actual events. I dunno, just the creativity involved is a whole different level I feel.

I did, and I enjoyed The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly, but it is dated and not a better story or production than Tombstone.

UNFORGIVEN Top Team.

There's no way I run across that film at any point and don't sit to watch it for a while. TOMBSTONE's great, but for some reason I haven't watched it nearly as many times as I have UNFORGIVEN, or even DANCES WITH WOLVES. Maybe it's a bit too cool for school sometimes. It's super macho.

Val Kilmer was denied an Oscar was he even nominated?
I believe they neglected to submit his name for consideration. It might also be the case Kurt Russell didn't want to put his name on it because he wasn't sure the film wouldn't be a monumental clusterfuck. Not a lot went right, and now you can see how Kilmer's nomination was a sore oversight.

Is that a fact?
tenor.gif

Update: August 13, 2017

Val Kilmer Visits Fans in Tombstone for Old West Celebration

2Zn0Fzh.png

Val Kilmer on Saturday rode through the streets of Tombstone, Ariz., in a horse-drawn wagon to the chants of "We love you Val!" as the actor returned to the Old West town that was the setting of one of his most famous roles.

Kilmer came to Tombstone for the "Doc Holli-Days" event to celebrate the life of gunslinger Doc Holliday, whom the actor played in the 1993 movie Tombstone. He also met with fans and was to attend a party to mark Holliday's birthday on Aug. 14.

Kilmer wore a cowboy hat, sunglasses and bright green shoes as he was led through town in the 1880s-era coach.

"Ladies and gentlemen, might I please introduce one of the stars — if not the star, period — of our favorite movie and the object of our inaugural Doc Holli-Days, Val Kilmer," the public address announcer said as fans cheered and snapped up pictures.

Tombstone was once a bustling mining town that became synonymous with the Wild West following the shootout at the O.K. Corral involving Holliday and Wyatt Earp. The mines shut down years ago, but the burgh near the U.S.-Mexico border remains a popular tourist destination. The town saw a surge in popularity after the hit movie Tombstone, starring Kilmer, Kurt Russell and Sam Elliot. The pic was filmed at various locations in Arizona, but not in Tombstone.

Kilmer visited the town during the making of the movie but hadn't been back since. Gunfight re-enactments are the event's big draw, but the actor will not participate in them, said Bruce Nielsen, president of the local Lions Club, which is organized the parade. Many of the Doc Holli-Days events were sold out, generating concerns about crowd sizes. "I am concerned that the town is going to be overwhelmed," Nielsen said.

Doc Holli-Days is one of several weekend celebrations that Tombstone holds throughout the year, including Wyatt Earp Days and Helldorado Days.

It was during the 2015 Helldorado when an actor used real bullets instead of blanks during the re-enactment of a duel, wounding a participant and causing minor injuries to a bystander. That prompted the town to write new regulations for its gunfights.

Val Kilmer Visits Fans in Tombstone for Old West Celebration

I wasn't aware of this but apparently Val Kilmer confirmed he has oral cancer but he's in the "healing stages" thanks supposedly to love and religion.

I've gotten so used to this image...

640_JauAsqNunOQuXH70Wtf88Q.jpg

that it was a shock to see him now looking like this.

70abac6c5fd053d9ca4001a32fcb5fc6

val-kilmer-cancer-health-fears-1.jpg

I wasn't aware of this but apparently Val Kilmer confirmed he has oral cancer but he's in the "healing stages" thanks supposedly to love and religion.

Jesus Christ WTF?

Sad. The guy really could act and was often one of the best partd of many movies he was playing a supporting role in.

Like Michael Douglas stated it was most likely caused by eating too much dirty box during their most promiscuous years. Too much exposure to the worst forms of HPV virus that men are most likely exposed to through performing oral sex.

Add me to the Tombstone and Val fan club.
Awesome movie, great performances. That's cool that Kurt promised the guy he wouldn't say anything until he passed. Which leads me to my next question? Where do i submit my resume to be a director who doesn't really direct?

Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed TOMBSTONE

rl3PUxQ.png

There's been much speculation over the years as to just how much work Kurt Russell did behind the scenes of Tombstone after the first director was fired.

Having been questioned countless times about the circumstances behind the 1993 Western, John Henry "Doc" Holliday actor Val Kilmer decided it was time to lay all his cards on the table about his close friend — both on- and offscreen — who played Wyatt Earp.

In a lengthy blog entry Thursday, Kilmer made it plain and clear: "Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone’s success, no question."

Russell admitted as much in a 2006 interview with True West magazine, when the actor said he made it clear to studio brass he did not want his name listed as director, but that he did help out behind the scenes quite a bit.

Initially, the late screenwriter Kevin Jarre was set to direct the picture, but he was replaced a month into production after, the story goes, he became overwhelmed in the duty and fell behind schedule. Jarre was replaced by the late George P. Cosmatos, who had to hit the ground running.

That is where Kilmer's tale begins:

Fe5EJh7.jpg

"I’ll be clear.

Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone’s success, no question.

I was there every minute and although Kurt’s version differs slightly from mine, the one thing he’s totally correct about is, how hard he worked the day before, for the next day’s shot list, and tremendous effort he and I both put into editing, as the studio wouldn’t give us any extra time to make up for the whole month we lost with the first director.

We lost our first director after a month of shooting and I watched Kurt sacrifice his own role and energy to devote himself as a storyteller, even going so far as to draw up shot lists to help our replacement director, George Cosmatos, who came in with only 2 days prep.

Fwwj0gL.jpg

I was very clear and outspoken about what I wanted to do with my role, and actors like Powers Boothe, who we just lost, and Bill Paxton, were always 100% supportive, even in the blistering heat and sometimes as the day would fade, at the possible expense of their own screen time.
Kurt did this for the film virtually every hour.

I would even go up to him and whisper, 'Go for another…' meaning another take when I thought he could go further, but in the interest of the schedule, he would pound on. Very Wyatt-like come to think of it.

[Sam] Elliot used to drive all the way out to hell and gone just to watch some of our scenes. So many lead actors took small roles just to rock a great western script.

CYGtP51.jpg

Tombstone=Milestone.

It’s not often you get to dust the likes of Clint Eastwood at the box-office. He had a film out when we opened and it just couldn’t keep up! Then Kevin Costner had all the dough and distribution money and stars, and couldn’t make a dent in our popularity. (Although I liked Dennis Quaid, and my first girlfriend is also in it which was super weird – Mare Winningham.)

Back to Powers for a moment, such a gracious actor and if you love acting go back and check out his early Emmy winning roles, he’s the real deal.

mheytWi.jpg

And Bill Paxton, like a cheerleader for all film, for all Creativity. Always happy like it was his first job. He would have been happy if you had lit him on fire and hung him upside down, as long as there was a camera running. Just like a perfect thespian. ALL THE WAY. SUPPORTIVE. Sweet.

We all miss them both. They were good men. The kind that make you proud of the 'craft.'

That’s probably how it’s become a story that Kurt directed it. I have such admiration for Kurt as he basically sacrificed lots of energy that would have gone into his role, to save the film.

Everyone cared, don’t get me wrong, but Kurt put his money where his mouth was, and not a lot of stars extend themselves for the cast and crew. Not like he did.

mXtKio5.jpg

I’ll say it again, Kurt was responsible for the film’s success.

He and I worked so hard I eventually moved in with him and slept on the sofa when Goldie wasn’t in town, so we could use the extra 20 minutes writing or going over schedule etc. And I got all the best lines and he knew it and still laughed and joked every single day.

Early on he said casually, 'Well this is your picture…'

I didn’t know what he was talking about so like a bozo I made him explain himself. He is very, very articulate when he wants to be. Even I liked me when he was done complimenting my early days of filming…

And he is such a good dad and devoted to his girlfriend, and built his own home and ranch. C’mon. He’s a true superstar and wildly underrated as an actor. Not many guys with his range."

Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed 'Tombstone'

Is this even news? I thought this was basically just a fact.

Tombstone is the greatest Western of all time. Absolutely amazing.

Val has had such a great career with Tombstone, Heat, Top Gun, The Doors, Thunderheart, The Saint and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Is this even news? I thought this was basically just a fact.

Tombstone is the greatest Western of all time. Absolutely amazing.

Best Western of all time? No way.

I didn't see you offer up a counter.

Pretty much any Eastwood film and all of the older classics. I'd even consider Django Unchained a better western. Tombstone has a lot of flaws, especially that terribly written love story. God that was bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El_chapo_of_devon
Back