TOMBSTONE (Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed the Film)

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed TOMBSTONE

rl3PUxQ.png

There's been much speculation over the years as to just how much work Kurt Russell did behind the scenes of Tombstone after the first director was fired.

Having been questioned countless times about the circumstances behind the 1993 Western, John Henry "Doc" Holliday actor Val Kilmer decided it was time to lay all his cards on the table about his close friend — both on- and offscreen — who played Wyatt Earp.

In a lengthy blog entry Thursday, Kilmer made it plain and clear: "Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone’s success, no question."

Russell admitted as much in a 2006 interview with True West magazine, when the actor said he made it clear to studio brass he did not want his name listed as director, but that he did help out behind the scenes quite a bit.

Initially, the late screenwriter Kevin Jarre was set to direct the picture, but he was replaced a month into production after, the story goes, he became overwhelmed in the duty and fell behind schedule. Jarre was replaced by the late George P. Cosmatos, who had to hit the ground running.

That is where Kilmer's tale begins:

Fe5EJh7.jpg

"I’ll be clear.

Kurt is solely responsible for Tombstone’s success, no question.

I was there every minute and although Kurt’s version differs slightly from mine, the one thing he’s totally correct about is, how hard he worked the day before, for the next day’s shot list, and tremendous effort he and I both put into editing, as the studio wouldn’t give us any extra time to make up for the whole month we lost with the first director.

We lost our first director after a month of shooting and I watched Kurt sacrifice his own role and energy to devote himself as a storyteller, even going so far as to draw up shot lists to help our replacement director, George Cosmatos, who came in with only 2 days prep.

Fwwj0gL.jpg

I was very clear and outspoken about what I wanted to do with my role, and actors like Powers Boothe, who we just lost, and Bill Paxton, were always 100% supportive, even in the blistering heat and sometimes as the day would fade, at the possible expense of their own screen time.
Kurt did this for the film virtually every hour.

I would even go up to him and whisper, 'Go for another…' meaning another take when I thought he could go further, but in the interest of the schedule, he would pound on. Very Wyatt-like come to think of it.

[Sam] Elliot used to drive all the way out to hell and gone just to watch some of our scenes. So many lead actors took small roles just to rock a great western script.

CYGtP51.jpg

Tombstone=Milestone.

It’s not often you get to dust the likes of Clint Eastwood at the box-office. He had a film out when we opened and it just couldn’t keep up! Then Kevin Costner had all the dough and distribution money and stars, and couldn’t make a dent in our popularity. (Although I liked Dennis Quaid, and my first girlfriend is also in it which was super weird – Mare Winningham.)

Back to Powers for a moment, such a gracious actor and if you love acting go back and check out his early Emmy winning roles, he’s the real deal.

mheytWi.jpg

And Bill Paxton, like a cheerleader for all film, for all Creativity. Always happy like it was his first job. He would have been happy if you had lit him on fire and hung him upside down, as long as there was a camera running. Just like a perfect thespian. ALL THE WAY. SUPPORTIVE. Sweet.

We all miss them both. They were good men. The kind that make you proud of the 'craft.'

That’s probably how it’s become a story that Kurt directed it. I have such admiration for Kurt as he basically sacrificed lots of energy that would have gone into his role, to save the film.

Everyone cared, don’t get me wrong, but Kurt put his money where his mouth was, and not a lot of stars extend themselves for the cast and crew. Not like he did.

mXtKio5.jpg

I’ll say it again, Kurt was responsible for the film’s success.

He and I worked so hard I eventually moved in with him and slept on the sofa when Goldie wasn’t in town, so we could use the extra 20 minutes writing or going over schedule etc. And I got all the best lines and he knew it and still laughed and joked every single day.

Early on he said casually, 'Well this is your picture…'

I didn’t know what he was talking about so like a bozo I made him explain himself. He is very, very articulate when he wants to be. Even I liked me when he was done complimenting my early days of filming…

And he is such a good dad and devoted to his girlfriend, and built his own home and ranch. C’mon. He’s a true superstar and wildly underrated as an actor. Not many guys with his range."

Val Kilmer Says Kurt Russell Essentially Directed 'Tombstone'

Well duh... I thought it was common knowledge

As far as I know he's basically been saying this for a while ( asking up Russell's) but he came short of saying these exact words.

He always said the film wouldn't have been made without Kurt.

Wonder if he's making the full claim now to mend a relationship or something.

@Dragonlordxxxxx Val has been doing a lot of AMA's on Reddit this year. I think he's looking for more and bigger projects.

And as always I have to give him a shout out for his hilarious role in McGruber.

Funny that they waited for the credited director to be dead to say this

Probably more out of respect than anything else, I'd imagine other people would be aware of the situation if they were talking BS.

I'm the strange one that liked Wyatt Earp (1994) with Kevin Costner more then Tombstone (1993) with Kurt Russell.

But hands down Val Kilmer played the best Doc Holliday.

46d0004cf5e15addf48949522002dae2.gif

Probably more out of respect than anything else, I'd imagine other people would be aware of the situation if they were talking BS.
Yeah that makes sense. But if Russell agreed with the guy to let him take credit at the time why bother saying anything years later?

Funny that they waited for the credited director to be dead to say this

Per Kurt Russell:

At one time I really knew about Wyatt Earp because that movie—Tombstone is one that’s actually worth talking about—that was the one time I had gone out and got the money. I backed the director; the director got fired, so we brought in a guy to be a ghost director. They wanted me to take over the movie. I said, “I’ll do it, but I don’t want to put my name on it. I don’t want to be the guy.”

I said to George [Cosmatos], “I’m going to give you a shot list every night, and that’s what’s going to be.” I’d go to George’s room, give him the shot list for the next day, that was the deal. “George I don’t want any arguments. This is what it is. This is what the job is.”

“Yeah, absolutely.”

I got him from Sly Stallone—called up Sly, said I need a guy. Sly did the same thing with Rambo 2 with George. And I said to George, “While you’re alive George, I won’t say a goddamn thing.”

Source: https://truewestmagazine.com/the-western-godfather/

I made a thread on it a while back: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/did-kurt-russell-actually-direct-tombstone.3534617

As far as the film itself goes I actually always felt a lot of its success was that didn't focus too heavily on Earp himself at the expense of the cast as a whole which perhaps reflects Russell putting the film first?

Per Kurt Russell:

At one time I really knew about Wyatt Earp because that movie—Tombstone is one that’s actually worth talking about—that was the one time I had gone out and got the money. I backed the director; the director got fired, so we brought in a guy to be a ghost director. They wanted me to take over the movie. I said, “I’ll do it, but I don’t want to put my name on it. I don’t want to be the guy.”

I said to George [Cosmatos], “I’m going to give you a shot list every night, and that’s what’s going to be.” I’d go to George’s room, give him the shot list for the next day, that was the deal. “George I don’t want any arguments. This is what it is. This is what the job is.”

“Yeah, absolutely.”

I got him from Sly Stallone—called up Sly, said I need a guy. Sly did the same thing with Rambo 2 with George. And I said to George, “While you’re alive George, I won’t say a goddamn thing.”

Source: https://truewestmagazine.com/the-western-godfather/

I made a thread on it a while back: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/did-kurt-russell-actually-direct-tombstone.3534617
Yeah that's believable for sure. I don't get why though. He says he was willing to direct but he didn't want to put his name on it because "I don't want to be that guy"
{<huh}

May as well have left the name of the fired director on it. Unless they were going some kind of favor for the guy. Weird that it says Rambo 2 was basically the same deal. Was Cosmatos a fraud or something?

And why say something now? To prove to me he's a capable director?

Such an awesome flick. To me, it represents everything about a true western right down to taking liberties with some of the details.

I think part of the reason Costners version has never been revered as much is because it tried to do the opposite and wound up being less fun to watch.

As far as the film itself goes I actually always felt a lot of its success was that didn't focus too heavily on Earp himself at the expense of the cast as a whole which perhaps reflects Russell putting the film first?

Honestly I thought Kurt was great it just goes to show how great Kilmer is.

He steals the show in any movie he does. He was better than Kurt and Cruise.

I was honestly pissed he only had 5 minutes in the new Bad Lieutenant... Kilmer and motivated Nick Cage on screen... that is a hard duo to top.

Yeah that's believable for sure. I don't get why though. He says he was willing to direct but he didn't want to put his name on it because "I don't want to be that guy"
{<huh}

May as well have left the name of the fired director on it. Unless they were going some kind of favor for the guy. Weird that it says Rambo 2 was basically the same deal. Was Cosmatos a fraud or something?

Dude if you don't have faith this will be a hit and instead it will flop then you don't tie your name to it.

I'd imagine Hollywood works like that 1 bad directing outing and it's harder for you to get other projects going.

The people in the know I'm sure knew the real score it's one thing not to make it public it's another to talk in private. I'm sure he regrets not risking it in the end.

Honestly I thought Kurt was great it just goes to show how great Kilmer is.

He steals the show in any movie he does. He was better than Kurt and Cruise.

I was honestly pissed he only had 5 minutes in the new Bad Lieutenant... Kilmer and motivated Nick Cage on screen... that is a hard duo to top.
giphy.gif

{<huh}

Yeah, I'm not sure why Kurt didn't want his name on the film. Was he worried that it might actually be a failure? Did he not want to have to shoulder ALL the directing duties, and so he was willing to forego the credit to get some help? I don't know. I will agree that the whole thing is strange.

As for saying something now, I dunno, I guess he's been sitting on this information for all this time and now he wants to get a little credit for the way things really went down.

Such an awesome flick. To me, it represents everything about a true western right down to taking liberties with some of the details.

I think part of the reason Costners version has never been revered as much is because it tried to do the opposite and wound up being less fun to watch.

It's like Braveheart and Rob Roy.

And again Prime Kilmer is just that much better than anyone in Wyatt Warp. And as much as I love Liam Neeson prime Mel Gibson can only be matched in charisma by Denzel.

It's like Braveheart and Rob Roy.

And again Prime Kilmer is just that much better than anyone in Wyatt Warp. And as much as I love Liam Neeson prime Mel Gibson can only be matched in charisma by Denzel.

Yeah prime Denzel and prime Mel are tough to top for sure

Back