To all the people who celebrate Christmass but don't believe in Jesus:

Jesus wasn't even born on Christmas. He was born in the spring time. It is only celebrated, because they needed a major holiday that involved a God, in this case being born, to sway the "pagans" into christanity from their "pagan" religion. It's a play off of the winter solstace. Which was a major time for "pagans" as they seen it as a time when the world reset itself.

You are making sense. But some people might not like that.

*sigh* troll thread.
join date = dec. 2012

this had some potential.

No it's not wrong to celebrate Christmas. Christians hijacked Christmas form the Pagans who celebrated the winter solstace.

Christmas is a celebration of the winter solstace. Christians merely adopted the holiday to appease outlying Pagan subjects like they did with Greco-Roman mythology.

Easter is the same, as is Halloween. Easter occurs during the Pagan fertility celebration.

If anything, Christians are deferring to Pagans when the celebrate the major holidays.

Works for me.

Right here/end thread...All of the stories of Christianity were stolen from other ancient cultures and used by the church; The child born to a virgin, the 12 apostles, the three wise men, the resurrection, and so on.

These days, Christmas is a commercial holiday owned by corporations to make money anyhow and you seem like a troll, so fuck off and Merry Christmas!

Happy Saturnalia, Solstice, Yule and Christmas folks! :icon_lol:

Actually the true, underlying question/abstract generalization of the thread would be similar to: Is it ok to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?

i don't mind stealing bread, from the mouths of decadeeeennnnce

Don't be a hater, I had atheists over at my house to celebrate.

They even said the Christmas mass was enjoyable.

Many culture have an annual holiday of family gathering and gift (or money) exchange.

You should be ashamed! Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. If you don't believe in him you have nothing to celebrate!

i've never gotten shit from jesus for christmas.

screw him :icon_lol:

"This is actually a premise for a pretty intelligent discussion: is it wrong for people who don't believe in Jesus to celebrate Christmas?"

i would assume that most people don't have jesus anywhere close to their thoughts during christmas.

people are too consumed in last-minute shopping, getting the food ready, finding out what time the basketball game starts, etc.

christmas is essentially another day to spend time with your family, and another reason to spend more money. not a fan of the latter.

not sure what that is.

i believe i have the parthenon in my av.

Temple of Bacchus in Baalbek, Lebanon.

They look very similar, I mistook it. My mistake. In fact the Parthenon is smaller but 500 years older.

Temple+de+Bacchus%252C+Baalbek.JPG

Jesus wasn't born on the 25th and preaching nonsense is what turns many away from religion.

Temple of Bacchus in Baalbek, Lebanon.

They look very similar, I mistook it. My mistake. In fact the Parthenon is smaller but 500 years older.

Temple+de+Bacchus%252C+Baalbek.JPG

oh wow...had never heard of that structure.

thanks for the info.

I'd rather celebrate Newtonmas to be honest. I can imagine celebrating the birth of one of the greatest, most important scientists in history would make more sense.

Plus, ain't nobody ever gone to war over differences of opinion of Newton's teaching.

Don't get battles being fought over whether it was a green or red apple that fell on his head, do you?

Christmas is an opportunity/excuse to gather family at best, an annual commercial chore at worst.

/rant

I was going to post a raging rambling post on the Pagan solstice celebration and all that crap but I've been beaten to it
Merry Christmas all!

Jesus is a fictional character based on several other preexisiting Gods. I once read that pointing at the bible as proof that God/Jesus exists makes about as much sense as pointing to a comic book as proof that Spiderman exists.

However, Christmas is the ballz son!! It's more about Santa Claus (or Nimrod if you prefer) and the spirirt of giving and spending time with your family.

Merry Christmas everybody!! Get drunk, eat until you want to puke and spend a bunch of money you don't have! That's what Jesus and Spiderman would do!!!

Back