To all the people who celebrate Christmass but don't believe in Jesus:

This is actually a premise for a pretty intelligent discussion: is it wrong for people who don't believe in Jesus to celebrate Christmas?

There's nothing intelligent going on here, failure. I'd wish you better luck next time, but that would be a waste of luck.

Half your comment had loaded on my phone and I didn't see your comment about the winter solstice.

I apologize.

I tried to ninja edit but you were very quick.

Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed? Ether way no shower for me tonight.

Jesus wasn't even born on Christmas. He was born in the spring time. It is only celebrated, because they needed a major holiday that involved a God, in this case being born, to sway the "pagans" into christanity from their "pagan" religion. It's a play off of the winter solstace. Which was a major time for "pagans" as they seen it as a time when the world reset itself.

Damn you beat me to it.

Can thread. What a stupid idea. I will not feel ashamed as I pile my loot up in the middle of the living room, drinking many glasses of spiked eggnog and enjoying solid family time. Trying to restrict people from enjoying holidays is a Grinch move imo. Especially if religion is involved.

Actually the true, underlying question/abstract generalization of the thread would be similar to: Is it ok to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?

It's stilled called yule here. I don't believe in Odin, but I still participate.
Awful of me, I know.

Actually the true, underlying question/abstract generalization of the thread would be similar to: Is it ok to do the right thing for the wrong reasons?

Just stop. You're not appearing any smarter.

Or maybe the underlying question would be more similar to : Is it ok to be happy for the wrong reasons? I mean i know it's wrong to be happy if killing people makes you happy lol, but as always the problem is where do you draw the line and where to fit in the borderline cases. Or in particualr, in this instance is it ok to celebrate Christmas even if you don't believe in Jesus? Is this even a borderline case?

I don't celebrate it, I just trudge around doing what my family tell me to do out of a sense of personal loyalty =] I imagine most people are the same.

You should be ashamed! Christmas is the day Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus. If you don't believe in him you have nothing to celebrate!

Wow. What an exclusivist. I'm celebrating christmas for my kids, not some pagan holiday turned monotheistic fairy tale. Fun little fact about the "birth" of Jesus: here are 10 "stories" that bear remarkably similar traits to the story of Jesus, and ALL predate Jesus: Buddha, Krishna, Odysseus, Romulus, Dionysus, Heracles, Glycon, Zoroastar, Attis, and Horus. Born of a virgin, son of "god", performed miracles, etc. Yet these aren't "REAL" because.. ?

Merry Christmas TS.

images

And their santa wears blue and is named ded Moroz

Ded_Moroz_Blue.jpg

Depends on the region though, he isn't always blue. In Serbia he's called Deda Mraz.

Last edited:
Jesus wasn't even born on Christmas. He was born in the spring time. It is only celebrated, because they needed a major holiday that involved a God, in this case being born, to sway the "pagans" into christanity from their "pagan" religion. It's a play off of the winter solstace. Which was a major time for "pagans" as they seen it as a time when the world reset itself.

Thank for spreading the truth

Merry Christmas

Or maybe the underlying question would be more similar to : Is it ok to be happy for the wrong reasons? I mean i know it's wrong to be happy if killing people makes you happy lol, but as always the problem is where do you draw the line and where to fit in the borderline cases. Or in particualr, in this instance is it ok to celebrate Christmas even if you don't believe in Jesus? Is this even a borderline case?

Being happy killing people and giving and recieving gifts, spending time with family are very similar.

Seriously. Did you even think about what you are posting.

The bulk of traditions that most Americans celebrate have little to nothing to do with Christ or Christianity. When I was a kid we went to Church for an hour and maybe said a prayer before eating. Every single other thing about Christmas was totally god-free. Now, I celebrate Christ-free Christmas, it's easy and the Christmas police aren't going to come tell me I can't have a Christmas tree because I don't believe in the Magic Jesus.

Back