TKD Black Belt Roll Call

TKD saved my rear end in high school fights...some folks on here assume you're trying to pit TKD vs. Pro MMA Fighter.

I remember there was this one dude in class who for some reason, or another, wanted to whoop me...I still have no clue what his beef was!

Anyway, he sat right behind me and one day he overheard a classmate asking me about my TKD classes. The dude found out I was a Black Belt and we became chums!

I remember one fight during a football game where I threw a spinning back kick at a dude. TKD doesn't seem to emphasize on head movement, but it's engrained in you when you're dodging headkicks...this dude wasn't able to land a single punch on my dome thanks to my head movement.

2-3 LA gangbangers attempted to rob a TKD classmate once...he threw a spinning back kick, and according to the police report, broke the vato's rib!

TKD saved my rear end in high school fights...some folks on here assume you're trying to pit TKD vs. Pro MMA Fighter.

I remember there was this one dude in class who for some reason, or another, wanted to whoop me...I still have no clue what his beef was!

Anyway, he sat right behind me and one day he overheard a classmate asking me about my TKD classes. The dude found out I was a Black Belt and we became chums!

I remember one fight during a football game where I threw a spinning back kick at a dude. TKD doesn't seem to emphasize on head movement, but it's engrained in you when you're dodging headkicks...this dude wasn't able to land a single punch on my dome thanks to my head movement.

2-3 LA gangbangers attempted to rob a TKD classmate once...he threw a spinning back kick, and according to the police report, broke the vato's rib!

7194_8417.jpeg

Both are full contact combat sports.

eh no they are not, if you think TKD competitions are the same as a MT fight then I feel sorry for you

Muay Thai is not similar to TKD in almost any way. one is a full contact combat sport..... the other isnt

You sir are correct. In MT you sit on your attacks to create power. In TKD you tend to bounce, concentrating in speed and accuracy (point fighting). Not taking away from TDK, but when you have a 13 year old with black belt you can't be taken seriously. I started BJJ at 16 and when i stopped at 21 I was only a purple belt. I have sparred with a few TDK black belts, including a state champion and i was not impressed. Keep in mind all i have is a ton of Wrestling, BJJ, some judo, and a little boxing i learned in cuba as a little kid. Yet, i was able to tagged each one of those guys, and i took everyone of them down. In conclusion, i think TDK is great for learning respect, improving flexibility and self esteem.

Bl_rfqQIcAAtwPd.jpg:large

"The heavies"?

L-O-L!

kbw-2e1uuqj.jpg

If you didn't have a 2014 join date you'd know what the heavies is.

As for your black belt, it's pretty meaningless. The fact that you were 13 when you got it says it all really.

If you didn't have a 2014 join date you'd know what the heavies is.

As for your black belt, it's pretty meaningless. The fact that you were 13 when you got it says it all really.

Join dates are meaningless, "Mr. 3-Years and Some Change".

You're second comment is even sillier than the first.

Finger off the space bar, FINGER OFF THE SPACE BAR until you're ready to shoot, SOLDIER!!!

TKD BB in 94', and still use the techniques to this day. I also came from a boxing background so I blend the two styles together, as well as extensive training in MT.

TKD BB in 94', and still use the techniques to this day. I also came from a boxing background so I blend the two styles together, as well as extensive training in MT.

I think that in those day TDK was more pure, you actually learned something. Now days is all about the $$$, and classes get water down. The same is going on with many TMA like karate.

Last edited:
Muay Thai is not similar to TKD in almost any way. one is a full contact combat sport..... the other isnt

Did I state they were mirror-images of each other and not realize it???

If you get KO'd with a Spinning Hook Kick, chanches are you've just engaged in a full-contact sport, Broski!

Got mine in '93, took me 5 years.

There's McDojo's out there for every martial art. A couple of the places I trained were pretty close, the last couple definitely were not.

And yeah... you can't mention anything on Sherdog without drawing the douchebags out of the slime. Don't sweat anything on here, it's a cesspool just like most internet forums. TKD absolutely does have some worth in an MMA context... and also has some HORRIBLE habits to break if you ever get into another striking art.

Never had tkd where I grew up but wish they did. Seems to have done wonders for the people I train muay thai with

[YT]uriJ53eoPQ8[/YT]

Never had tkd where I grew up but wish they did. Seems to have done wonders for the people I train muay thai with

Please elaborate. The TKD kicks are completely different to MT kicks, they are more similar to Karate kicks. Also, TKD varely uses head movements and most of the times the hands are carried low to allow balance when kicking.

This is a common misconception. There are two major TKD federations and sparring/tournament styles. The Olympic style is the WTF where combatants where head gear and a chest protector and full contact is allowed to the head and body. There are standing 8 counts and knock outs.

The other federation is ITF which is tag point fighting with no head or chest protection, only black belts are allowed contact to the head and anything more then the lightest of contact can result in the fighter being penalized or even disqualified for excessive contact. This is common mcdojo style of TKD where you see little kids with black belts.

I thought Anderson Silva and Mirko Filopovic both started out in TKD.

This is a common misconception. There are two major TKD federations and sparring/tournament styles. The Olympic style is the WTF where combatants where head gear and a chest protector and full contact is allowed to the head and body. There are standing 8 counts and knock outs.

The other federation is ITF which is tag point fighting with no head or chest protection, only black belts are allowed contact to the head and anything more then the lightest of contact can result in the fighter being penalized or even disqualified for excessive contact. This is common mcdojo style of TKD where you see little kids with black belts.

I thought Anderson Silva and Mirko Filopovic both started out in TKD.

Point fighting and greedy senseis are killing many of the traditional martial arts.

Point fighting and greedy senseis are killing many of the traditional martial arts.

Yep, when I went to Ottawa for the CISM team trials in 1991, we all went to one of Tae Eun Lee's schools for a day of training prior to the competition.

I was a red belt at the time, and regularly got put through the wringer by my instructor.

I thought I was in for a great experience getting to train with a 9th dan instructor, but I was sorely dissapointed.

I stood and watched a 'Blackbelt' class kicking x-ray paper... and I don't think one of them could have accurately placed a kick above their waists. It was pathetic. I would have bet my house on a random greenbelt from our school wiping the floor with any of them.

Was my first (and unfortunately not last) experience with a McDojo.

Back