TKD Black Belt Roll Call

True story.

About a year ago some kids (18-19) came into the boxing gym i go to. They're talking mad shit, acting cocky ect. They're "black belts" in BJJ within the 1st year of training. So they signed up to a 2 week free of boxing. Anyways 4 days in i had enough of them talking shit to everyone. So i said "Let's roll after class". First guy said "Not today...too tired"....ok whatever. The younger one said ok.

Got in the ring and slapped hands took him down got his back RNC. Got back up slapped hands. took him down. front head lock....got up he punched the ring cuz he was pissed. When to shake his hand. He slapped my hand away went to take me down. Pretty much gave me his neck so i cranked until he went down.

What i'm trying to say is I've seen many "I'm a black belt in ____" kids for years. I'm 23 been in Judo and JJ from age 12. Don't care about belts. Most people who brag about being a black belt are full of shit.

A TKD BB can mean wildly different things.

I have one and I got mine at a gym that cared about handing out legitimate ones for about my first 5 years. In that time I only made it to about Brown Belt (keep in mind TKD belt systems rarely are the same gym to gym). After that, my school changed its policies where you had to pay to take a belt test, and before you knew it there would be 12 year olds running around the gym with a black belt that couldn't fight worth a shit.

If you take the time to learn TKD with power in the strikes, there are a lot of cool tricks you can bring over to MMA. But my TKD was next to useless for a long time until I had finished wrestling in high school and started training BJJ and Muay Thai.

True story.

About a year ago some kids (18-19) came into the boxing gym i go to. They're talking mad shit, acting cocky ect. They're "black belts" in BJJ within the 1st year of training. So they signed up to a 2 week free of boxing. Anyways 4 days in i had enough of them talking shit to everyone. So i said "Let's roll after class". First guy said "Not today...too tired"....ok whatever. The younger one said ok.

Got in the ring and slapped hands took him down got his back RNC. Got back up slapped hands. took him down. front head lock....got up he punched the ring cuz he was pissed. When to shake his hand. He slapped my hand away went to take me down. Pretty much gave me his neck so i cranked until he went down.

What i'm trying to say is I've seen many "I'm a black belt in ____" kids for years. I'm 23 been in Judo and JJ from age 12. Don't care about belts. Most people who brag about being a black belt are full of shit.

How'd they do in the fisticuffs department?

Join dates are meaningless, "Mr. 3-Years and Some Change".

You're second comment is even sillier than the first.

Finger off the space bar, FINGER OFF THE SPACE BAR until you're ready to shoot, SOLDIER!!!

I wasn't hating on you for having a 2014 join date, I was only stating facts. My join date doesn't reflect how long I lurked and followed MMA either.

If you want to talk about silliness though, look no further than your black belt.

Also, what the hell are you talking about?

I wasn't hating on you for having a 2014 join date, I was only stating facts. My join date doesn't reflect how long I lurked and followed MMA either.

If you want to talk about silliness though, look no further than your black belt.

Also, what the hell are you talking about?

You weren't hatin', you were clowning. Lame attempt, btw.

My black belt is not silly. Lots of bumps, bruises, and Tiger Balm to attain it. I stuck with it while other kids stayed home playing Super Nintendo and "discovered" themselves.

What the hell are YOU talking about???

You weren't hatin', you were clowning. Lame attempt, btw.

My black belt is not silly. Lots of bumps, bruises, and Tiger Balm to attain it. I stuck with it while other kids stayed home playing Super Nintendo and "discovered" themselves.

What the hell are YOU talking about???

If you say so.

Keep telling yourself that lol.

It really depends on what value you attach to a black belt. At our gym a black belt wasn't seen as anything special, because we saw it as an indication you knew the basics. That being said, it still took you at least 5 years to obtain one.

It really depends on what value you attach to a black belt. At our gym a black belt wasn't seen as anything special, because we saw it as an indication you knew the basics. That being said, it still took you at least 5 years to obtain one.

If I spent five years learning one thing, I'd be pretty sure I knew more than the basics.

What did you learn after black belt that was advanced?

I am a TKD red belt. We always sparred hard in my class. I have good roundhouse, and front kicks, and back kicks. TKD helps with speed, power, and quickness especially from outside.

If I spent five years learning one thing, I'd be pretty sure I knew more than the basics.

What did you learn after black belt that was advanced?
You really think that you can learn more than the basics in 5 years if you're just a normal recreational martial artist? It all depends on what you consider blackbelt level. Speed, timing, footwork, positioning and technique can all be trained on different levels.

You really think that you can learn more than the basics in 5 years if you're just a normal recreational martial artist? It all depends on what you consider blackbelt level. Speed, timing, footwork, positioning and technique can all be trained on different levels.

Name something that you aren't shown until 1st Dan that isn't a dance.

I guarantee that most of these dudes bashing TKD are the first ones to go nuts over Spinning Hook Kick KO's inside the cage.

belfort-ko.jpg

Hall-Kick.jpg

06_Barboza_Etim_02-300x208.jpg

20130525104931_e.JPG

Back