TKD Black Belt Roll Call

I laughed.

Was so internally happen when my son had enough at green belt. Paying for belts to punch/kick mits and plastic boards.

you sound like a wonderful and supportive parent... were u kicking and screaming each time you had to get off the couch and take him to practice?

Really sucks when the laziness of a parent who did nothing in life rubs off on their kids who are trying to find out what they love.

Im making many assumptions but that's the type of person i think of when I read your statement. Not to mention your username... lol

If you're new here and weren't aware - Ifyou want a sensible discussion the there's a training forum for talking about these kinds of things. As it is, you did post in the wrong forum so you are going to largely get sarcastic answers.

I have a JKD black belt btw.

I totally expect this thread to turn in to a "TKD is a joke" thread pretty rapidly. And, to a point, I understand. There are McDojos everywhere, with every random Korean on Earth opening a school near you soon. BUT (and this is a big but) there are very good Traditional TKD schools out there that teach real martial arts. When I was 17, in 1993, I started TKD under Thomas Miller. It was an ATA affiliated school, but we did a LOT more than just TKD. There is a system called MYB that we used to do where we trained in almost everything. All Prof Miller used to talk about when we talked about the new thing out (UFC 1, at that time) was how he had met and trained with the Gracies, and that Royce was nothing compared to his brother Rickson. I learned a great deal of basic BJJ from a TKD school 10 years before there was a BJJ school within 200 miles of where I grew up. This was before the term BJJ was even widely known, much less MMA. Looking back, in all intents and purposes, we were really an MMA school. Anyone that makes a broad based statement in this thread about all TKD and TKD schools being useless is just showing their ignorance.

you sound like a wonderful and supportive parent... were u kicking and screaming each time you had to get off the couch and take him to practice?

Really sucks when the laziness of a parent who did nothing in life rubs off on their kids who are trying to find out what they love.

Im making many assumptions but that's the type of person i think of when I read your statement. Not to mention your username... lol

Deception, my assuming defensive buddy. Shitagetya

Actually it's because it was 4 days a week and interfering with soccer and baseball, that I coach. Not to mention the grades in school that started slipping from being at fields and gyms until 8pm then having to do homework.

The name is just for fun. I rarely see a couch lol

As a TKD black belt I sometimes find it difficult to watch mma. Seeing wrestlers or boxers "kick" makes me want to cry.

If you're new here and weren't aware - Ifyou want a sensible discussion the there's a training forum for talking about these kinds of things. As it is, you did post in the wrong forum so you are going to largely get sarcastic answers.

Not new to the forum, and I'm fully aware of the silliness people can spew on here (I'm guilty of it myself), but it's never a bad idea to try and talk some sense into some of these clowns. My bad for posting in the wrong forum.

I totally expect this thread to turn in to a "TKD is a joke" thread pretty rapidly. And, to a point, I understand. There are McDojos everywhere, with every random Korean on Earth opening a school near you soon. BUT (and this is a big but) there are very good Traditional TKD schools out there that teach real martial arts. When I was 17, in 1993, I started TKD under Thomas Miller. It was an ATA affiliated school, but we did a LOT more than just TKD. There is a system called MYB that we used to do where we trained in almost everything. All Prof Miller used to talk about when we talked about the new thing out (UFC 1, at that time) was how he had met and trained with the Gracies, and that Royce was nothing compared to his brother Rickson. I learned a great deal of basic BJJ from a TKD school 10 years before there was a BJJ school within 200 miles of where I grew up. This was before the term BJJ was even widely known, much less MMA. Looking back, in all intents and purposes, we were really an MMA school. Anyone that makes a broad based statement in this thread about all TKD and TKD schools being useless is just showing their ignorance.

I was just screwing with the TS because of course there are McDojos for every TMA. Even BJJ has its fair share. But man did he get defensive quick. Like someone else pointed out this is the heavies and since the topic was not on point be prepared for harassment.

I got my red belt when I was 12 and quit. Consider those belts a joke as well as the place I trained. Even at that young age I knew I shouldn't be on the cusp of receiving a black belt in a Martial Arts.

I got one in LA as a kid around the same time - it obv teaches discipline etc but we prob didn't spar enough to learn anything that helpful - more about forms and sicipline though it obv helps w your punh and kick technique - def helped me pick up boxing quicker - I'm sure other people had more hard core experiences mine was more of the 'pay money and spend time means get belt'

Actually it plays havoc with your defensive boxing, since it almost always teaches you to have your hands down.

I was just screwing with the TS because of course there are McDojos for every TMA. Even BJJ has its fair share. But man did he get defensive quick. Like someone else pointed out this is the heavies and since the topic was not on point be prepared for harassment.

"The heavies"?

L-O-L!

kbw-2e1uuqj.jpg

Got up to redbelt when I was 12 in ITF TKD, left when I was 13 and took up music. I regret leaving but, the reason I did was because I didn't feel like what I learning was really effective in a self defense situation. I loved the sparring aspect, except for the fact that 90% of the class were toddlers and people over 40. I had to spar with the few blackbelts that weren't teachers because I was too aggressive for the rest of them. The thing I hated about it was the forms and all of that crap. While I understand that it's meant to be used to practise the techniques, half of them seemed like stupid nonsense and it makes more sense to throw techniques at a heavybag than at the air. Anyway after my experience there I actually became completely disillusioned with martial arts and thought it was all a bunch of nonsense(hey I was a kid, burned by bad experience) and then 3 years ago I started watching MMA. Later I realized how the rest of the martial arts world seems to feel about TKD so I feel justified in leaving, but what I really regret is giving up on martial arts all together.

TKD is a good base I agree, it taught me how to throw a proper round and front kick and I learned how to throw a straight right faster because of it. It also taught me a love for sparring. For beginners I'd recommend it but only as a test to see if you really want to train martial arts, otherwise I'd suggest Boxing or Muay Thai for striking if you really want to take striking martial arts seriously.

Muay Thai is a given, as they're similar in several aspects.

Timing, distance, overall discipline...you name it.

Muay Thai is not similar to TKD in almost any way. one is a full contact combat sport..... the other isnt

does that stand for Jack Daniels?? if so I believe you mate hahahaha:redface::icon_chee

Yup, just got it last week when I started traneing.

I get mine tomorrow. One day shipping on Amazon.

Sorry, just wanted to partake in the douchery abound in this thread

Back